Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Elbie Kronenberg....R.I.P. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/161187-elbie-kronenberg-r-i-p.html)

T2x 06-18-2007 08:09 AM

Elbie Kronenberg....R.I.P.

I learned over the weekend that Elbie Kronenberg passed away earlier this year. Elbie was one of the original 3 partners in Image Boat co. (with me and Don Lostumbo) when we created the Shadow Cat and Shadow 21 Vee.
Although we had a tempestuous relationship, Elbie helped a lot in my OPC career and was a key player in financing the Shadow projects. Elbie was a character and hard to figure sometimes, but his experience and marine industry connections were invaluable. Though legally blind, Elbie could always be found either driving around in one of his Jeeps or prowling his beloved Hockenjos Boat Co. on Lake Hopatcong in NJ, and we had some fun times there. He was predeceased by his wife, Carol, who was one of the kindest people I ever met. He is survived by his son Mark, whose lifelong (40 years and counting) battle with cancer was the basis for our "Race for Life" concept back in the 70's, and younger son Eric.

In the end he fought the good fight and will be remembered as a colorful, unpredictable soul who made a difference and got a lot of talented people started in all aspects of the marine business.

May God grant him peace and a smooth ice boat ride with Carol in Heaven..

T2x

21 Hustler 06-18-2007 12:05 PM

hey T2x, as a lake hopatcong resident and boater i knew elbie and the family very well. i used to hang out at hockenjos all the time in the mid-late 90's. I was unable to attend the funeral but my brother went and after the services went back to elbie's bungalow with mark and eric and they broke out all sorts of boating memorabilia, pics, clothes, video...the whole 9 yards. Mark now works at the sailing center right next to hockenjos and i actually saw him on saturday. He was mentioning that he wanted to take all the old race tapes from the 80's and put them on DVD, but didnt know how to go about it. if you wanted to take a trip down memory lane with him i could get his contact info for you.

T2x 06-18-2007 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 21 Hustler (Post 2166931)
hey T2x, as a lake hopatcong resident and boater i knew elbie and the family very well. i used to hang out at hockenjos all the time in the mid-late 90's. I was unable to attend the funeral but my brother went and after the services went back to elbie's bungalow with mark and eric and they broke out all sorts of boating memorabilia, pics, clothes, video...the whole 9 yards. Mark now works at the sailing center right next to hockenjos and i actually saw him on saturday. He was mentioning that he wanted to take all the old race tapes from the 80's and put them on DVD, but didnt know how to go about it. if you wanted to take a trip down memory lane with him i could get his contact info for you.

Justin Liva

Thanks Justin... I'll reach out for him in a few days. I have the contact info.

Mark 06-18-2007 12:34 PM

Rip

T2x 06-19-2007 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by CanDo (Post 2168390)
R.I.P. Elbie. Image Boat Co.? Was there two different Image cat builders? One in another state also back then?

There may have been another Image, but we called our performance boat line Shadow. We also made a 15' open bow tri hull under the Image name.

T2x