Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Can you really trust the guy doing a psi test (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/161324-can-you-really-trust-guy-doing-psi-test.html)

StraightJacket 06-19-2007 12:18 PM

Can you really trust the guy doing a psi test

3 Attachment(s)
Well I screwed up and trusted the machine shop to pressure test the GIL manifolds, I should have done this set myself like the other pair. Two hours one the fresh motors and this is what we have got.
#1 cyl. both valve heads missing , stems bent combustion chamber wiped out, and the piston beat to oblivion with a nice hole.
#4 cyl. recieved the intake valve from #1 and pieces that beat up that piston and punched a hole in that combustion chamber.

lucky for us it didn't score the cyl. walls and the rods are fine. I should have all the parts by the end of the week and new manifolds mid. of next week. Hope the pics post

Single With Twins 06-19-2007 12:57 PM

:eek: ..............very sorry to hear that, hope they contribute to lesson the blow to your wallet........good luck.

StraightJacket 06-19-2007 01:29 PM

Yeah right , and to add insult to injury I JUST NOTICED A CRACK in the #1 cyl. whenI was honing it. Now I have to go pick up my other block and get it line bored for this rotating assembly.

Wobble 06-19-2007 02:42 PM

were they new valves with the freshened motors? Have you verified that the exhaust is now leaking? I feel your pain as I have experienced similar damage from a dropped valve, it was due to a valve guide failure on a supposedly freshened head allowing the valve to wobble until it broke off and went through two other cylinders and one piston wall.

I think that a pressure test is only good for the time it is made and can not be used as an indicator of serviceability, one heat cycle can make a corroded weld crack and it seems that certain CMI's have had some issues with that.

MrCIG 06-19-2007 06:55 PM

Brian, I am back from the Ozarks. Let me know when you want to pick up the heads. I will give you a call

Mark

powerabout 06-20-2007 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2168864)
were they new valves with the freshened motors? Have you verified that the exhaust is now leaking? I feel your pain as I have experienced similar damage from a dropped valve, it was due to a valve guide failure on a supposedly freshened head allowing the valve to wobble until it broke off and went through two other cylinders and one piston wall.

I think that a pressure test is only good for the time it is made and can not be used as an indicator of serviceability, one heat cycle can make a corroded weld crack and it seems that certain CMI's have had some issues with that.

Wobble

I agree with that I had one that would only leak of you heated the ports with a couple of gas axes while under pressure with hot water in it...if in doubt chuck it out.
Too bad more dont have their manifolds in the heat exchanger circuit as I'm know we would have many more happy boaters.

sommerfliesby 06-20-2007 06:43 AM

That SUCKS Brian! With the amount of time you've put into this, I'm surprised I didn't hear your reaction to the cracked cylinder wall at my house!