Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My experience with Derebery Performance... >

My experience with Derebery Performance...

Notices

My experience with Derebery Performance...

Old 06-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Big Cliff

Originally Posted by Panther
You said there was a knock in the top end or bottom end or something like that?? Head stud breaking won't cause an engine knock....unless there's a blown head gasket and even then it won't knock, it will pop/hiss.... Maybe he tore it down because he couldn't find where the knock was coming from...
Wrong the rocker was just bouncing around in the head. Causing a KNOCKING sound. It did not sound bad. Leon stated the noise was from the rocker arm. No blown head gasket, no nothing other than the head stud.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Cliff
Wrong the rocker was just bouncing around in the head. Causing a KNOCKING sound. It did not sound bad. Leon stated the noise was from the rocker arm. No blown head gasket, no nothing other than the head stud.
So a "rocker arm stud" broke... not a head stud...

A head stud is used in place of head bolts...

If the rocker arm was broken off and bouncing around you would hear a loud pop thru the intake if it was an exhaust stud and a miss if it was the intake.. or vice versa.. can't remember.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Cliff
Its far from a POS engine.
Regardless of who built it or where it came from, once Derebery turns a wrench on it, it suddenly becomes a "Derebery Engine". Funny how that happens.

Just curious, why didn`t you take it back to the original builder ?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Big Cliff

So a "rocker arm stud" broke... not a head stud...

A head stud is used in place of head bolts...

If the rocker arm was broken off and bouncing around you would hear a loud pop thru the intake if it was an exhaust stud and a miss if it was the intake.. or vice versa.. can't remember.
Yes a rocker arm stud. I am not a mechanic which is why it was at Derebery's. Fact is the motor was torn down, cover destroyed, bilge wrecked, etc.

I'm not saying to use or not use the shop. Just telling my side of the story. Only to be called names by members and have everyone try and shoot me down.

Matt or Leon can post why they tore the motor down, destroyed the cover, drained the oil in the bildge, crack the support board. I am all for their side of the story.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Big Cliff

Originally Posted by Donman
Regardless of who built it or where it came from, once Derebery turns a wrench on it, it suddenly becomes a "Derebery Engine". Funny how that happens.

Just curious, why didn`t you take it back to the original builder ?
Original builder is in CA. I live in north TX. That was the reason.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Big Cliff

Donman here is pic of the POS motor after the rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails My experience with Derebery Performance...-boatmotor69.jpg  

Old 06-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Regaurdless, I guess the real question is...and it's Leon vs. Big Cliff........ Who gave who persmission to do a tear down?

When I was a mechanic at the marina we couldn't fart without getting a signed work order...
Old 06-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Big Cliff

Regaurdless, I guess the real question is...and it's Leon vs. Big Cliff........ Who gave who persmission to do a tear down?

When I was a mechanic at the marina we couldn't fart without getting a signed work order...
I GAVE NO permission for a tear down. Never signed anything even close to that. I asked them too pull the valve covers and check everything. Leon suggested a leak down test. Thats how I left the boat. 2 weeks later and no phone call and the motor is torn down to the bare block (crank, rods, and pistons out)

Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't let these guys bother you Cliff... I went to a Merc. Platinum stealership so that the work done on my boat would be top notch. What I got was a dented exhaust, gouge in the paint, loose wires, grease, blood, dirt all over my rear bench, foot prints all over the vinyl, lost drive shower, not to mention the expense in gas towing it three hours each way three times to get it corrected. Then this year I find out their ACE mechanice routed the speedo pick-up over the top of the bell housing, it melted it's way through and sprayed salt water all over my engine... I tell ya, the only thing worse than used car salesman is the marine industry,,, nobody give a rats ass, all they want is their 95.00 per hour labor...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris288
... I tell ya, the only thing worse than used car salesman is the marine industry .
I take offense to that.......

Quick Reply: My experience with Derebery Performance...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.