Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Been Towed??? How far was it?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/161381-been-towed-how-far.html)

Roger 06-19-2007 08:27 PM

Been Towed??? How far was it??

How far have you been towed?? We were towed over 13 miles at 6-7 miles per hour at the APBA race several years ago, took forever to get back.

wigginout 06-19-2007 08:32 PM

Check with FNYGuy. I think I remember something about Key West. Something about gas. Like not having any.:D

SpeedyWho 06-19-2007 09:25 PM

I got towed today in fact. I was only about a 3/4 of a mile from my lift , all no wake. I over heated and figured I lost an impeller, called my marina and the mechanic came in one of the rental boats. He towed me for free, because he does the work on my boat. At least I saved on gas today.

Vinny P 06-19-2007 09:28 PM

I broke a vertical shaft 26 miles away from my dock on the 4th of July a few years ago. Took forever to get back in unbearable heat. :mad:

tommymonza 06-19-2007 09:43 PM

75 miles .6o by the coasties and another 15 by Boat U.S. And it didn't cost us a dime,you gotta love the coasties and unlimited towing insurance.

I almost forgot it was at 6 knots in 10-12 foot seas.

tblrklakemo 06-19-2007 09:52 PM

Ive been towed a couple of times.....the most memorable one, of course, was with seatow. They charge an arm and a leg, then you pay for their gas. I will swim the boat with rope in teeth next time.

Sydwayz 06-19-2007 10:08 PM

Once on the PWC, 5 miles on the first of April years ago. Air temp was in the low 70s. Water temp was 59*. I cracked the bottom of my PWC open, and it sank to the handlebars in the middle of the lake. I was in real trouble in that cold water, and thankfully a nice couple on a bass boat came along, plucked me out, and towed me in. That was a long cold ride.

Once, in the 26' Sonic, when I ruptured an external hydraulic steering line, and pumped all of the PS fluid into the river. I threw a line to a buddy in a 25' Checkmate and we hauled ass to get me away from that slick before anyone could pin it on me. Towed me about 2 miles into a VERY crappy marina with a 30' wide entry channel with concrete walls down either side including a 90* turn. That was some very tight quarters.

Sydwayz 06-19-2007 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo (Post 2169466)
...I will swim the boat with rope in teeth next time.

Aggressor 25 has a great story like this. Something about walking down the bank of Reagan National Airport outside of Washington DC, right on the Potomac River, with a rope slung over his shoulder. I'll let him finish.

t500hps 06-19-2007 10:30 PM

A buddy blew a drive about 90 miles from home 2 weeks ago. Since it was 10:30 AM he decided to head home on one engine. At 7:00 he called to say he was setting anchor near the marina. We asked if he thought he needed help getting the boat on the trailer, he said NO, he was chit-faced drunk and couldn't load it let alone tow it home!!!! :D

Wobble 06-20-2007 07:35 AM

I twisted off a vertical shaft in the middle of the Houston ship channel with heavy commercial traffic going both ways. I had just finished installation of a vhf radio and 1/2 wave antenna that week for an intracoastal canal trip and I was able to alert the commercial traffic to my predicament.

As soon as I had advised them, a tug came on and asked if I wanted a tow, you can not imagine my relief when I saw a tug u-turn and come back. He tied me alongside and had me under tow in less than ten minutes from the drive failure, he towed me for an hour until a buddy could make it down river and take over. Total tow was about 25 miles and 4 hours with both boats

I can not emphasize enough the importance of vhf radio when you are around commercial shipping, they don't have their cell numbers painted on the bow:eek:

I always go out of my way to give them room and wave when I see the people that work on the water for a living.

hunster 06-20-2007 07:52 AM

Lost a motor @ nyc poker run last year. Idled back to atl highlands jersey on one from the gw bridge. 6 hours. Had a wedding reception that night on a party boat there , pulled the boat up the ramp , drove to the other end of the lot and walked down the dock to the party boat. Just made it wearing my clothes from the day! Was fun anyway and no one cared but I did get my drink on after that long idle home!

satisfactionII 06-20-2007 08:34 AM

6 years ago the engine died at the north end of the lake about 3 in the afternoon. I couldn't figure it out and the cell phone wouldn't get a signal. I tried to flag down everyone that passed by and no one stopped to help. :( I had a cold 12-pack and commenced to drink and drift towards shore. It was after dark when the lake patrol showed up around 9:pm and gave me a tow of about 3/4 a mile to a really crappy marina, Southwinds. When we got there the owner of the marina said I had to put fuel in the boat since I didn't slip there, he charged me a $50 service charge while his illegal mexican pumped the fuel. When he was done the lake patrol then had me do a sobriety test on a wet and steep boat ramp, called me a Public intox case and took me to jail. The next day when I got back the marina owner wanted another $50 for letting keep my boat there over night. Paid the clown and found out that a fuse had blown in the ignition circuit. Never ever went back to that part of the lake.

sakoutis3 06-20-2007 08:48 AM

With three motors I got 2 chances before I gotta worry about a tow.:cool:

But I still make sure my Sea Tow membership is always paid.:drink:

Roger 06-20-2007 09:50 AM

Almost forgot, about 3 years ago I broke a rocker stud and then ran aground and filled up the pick ups with sand on the inner coastal near Morehead. Had to tie to a marker bouy until help arrived in my 32 Fountain. Got towed in by a 14 foot center console fishing boat with a 35 or 40 HP Yamaha engine. BOY was I embarassed.

t500hps 06-20-2007 10:09 AM

Since we're telling "funny" stories....last year at Harborfest we had a small runabout anchored near us yelling because we would start the motors every hour so the batteries wouldn't die. (stereo was pumping with 4 amps!!!) At the end of the day they were packing up to leave and kept mouthing off, then they hit their key......click...click....click!!!! OMG! Did they get an earful while they were being towed away with a dead battery!!!!!! :D

Wally 06-20-2007 10:34 AM

I toasted a motor in LOTO once just as i was entering Party cove....we figured WTF we are here might as well make the most of it! Well the part that sucked was that we were 24 miles away from our hotel!!!! Took us just about 4hrs on 1 motor going about 7mph with an occasional 9mph push when the waves hit us just right! I was lucky enough to driev the whole way home while the rest of the guy passed out and slept the whole way! :mad: Oddly enoug through i had plenty of women flash me as they passed by so it wasnt a total loss! :D

Perfectmix 06-20-2007 11:45 AM

Not towed, but broke a blade off one of my Kamma props about 25 miles from the ramp. 1:30am on Monday arrived at the ramp. It was a good first date :D

mopower 06-20-2007 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 2169939)
Almost forgot, about 3 years ago I broke a rocker stud and then ran aground and filled up the pick ups with sand on the inner coastal near Morehead. Had to tie to a marker bouy until help arrived in my 32 Fountain. Got towed in by a 14 foot center console fishing boat with a 35 or 40 HP Yamaha engine. BOY was I embarassed.

You want EMBARASSING...How about this:eek: . Buddy ran out of gas less than a mile from his dock after a 5 mile WFO run:rolleyes: . Got towed most of the way by a snailboat that had to be 50 to 60 feet. Then a center console the last 200 feet because the water wasn't deep enough for the snailboat:(

Wobble 06-20-2007 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mopower (Post 2170262)
You want EMBARASSING...How about this:eek: . Buddy ran out of gas less than a mile from his dock after a 5 mile WFO run:rolleyes: . Got towed most of the way by a snailboat that had to be 50 to 60 feet. Then a center console the last 200 feet because the water wasn't deep enough for the snailboat:(

I would have stayed adrift,:eek:

Chris Sunkin 06-20-2007 01:30 PM

Getting towed by a blowboat had to be tough. i'm surprised you found a charitable owner- lasyt I heard, they didn't like them "Cigarette boats".

I got hung up on a sandbar in the middle of a river once, right by a busy ramp heading out to Lake Erie. The only people who would help were a couple of old guys in a 12' Sea Nymph with a 15 hp outboard. It was enough to get us off- just.

Chris288 06-20-2007 02:58 PM

My wife got towed by sea-tow, they charged her 100.00 per hour from the time they left their dock, 15 miles, 6 hours and 700.00 later... she was back in her slip.. They towed her 21 foot formula at about 3 mph..... :rolleyes:

NickOTeen 06-20-2007 05:12 PM

Did that happen up in Horse Creek? That is $h!tty. The GRDA doesn't give sobriety tests that often you must have been to the bottom of that 12 pack. :drink:

Originally Posted by satisfactionII (Post 2169821)
6 years ago the engine died at the north end of the lake about 3 in the afternoon. I couldn't figure it out and the cell phone wouldn't get a signal. I tried to flag down everyone that passed by and no one stopped to help. :( I had a cold 12-pack and commenced to drink and drift towards shore. It was after dark when the lake patrol showed up around 9:pm and gave me a tow of about 3/4 a mile to a really crappy marina, Southwinds. When we got there the owner of the marina said I had to put fuel in the boat since I didn't slip there, he charged me a $50 service charge while his illegal mexican pumped the fuel. When he was done the lake patrol then had me do a sobriety test on a wet and steep boat ramp, called me a Public intox case and took me to jail. The next day when I got back the marina owner wanted another $50 for letting keep my boat there over night. Paid the clown and found out that a fuse had blown in the ignition circuit. Never ever went back to that part of the lake.

bouyhunter 06-20-2007 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by satisfactionII (Post 2169821)

Damn - what a hose down!!
Sounds like something that would happen to me.

I've never been towed, but ran outta gas.
I had just started dating someone (she's now my wife:D ) and we wanted to go down the river to a restaurant. I knew that fuel was low. Gas dock (1) between the Marina and restaurant had already closed for the evening (weeknight). Figured I could make it, but knew I was pushing it further than I cared too.
Ran out on the way back. Maybe 2 miles from the Marina.
Tossed the anchor, and called a buddy to bring me a can of gas.
Took an hour and a half.
We made good use of the time on the back bench - she was getting dressed under a blanket as he was pulling up with a big ole grin on his face.:D

Wobble 06-20-2007 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2170626)
Tossed the anchor, and called a buddy to bring me a can of gas.
Took an hour and a half.
We made good use of the time on the back bench - she was getting dressed under a blanket as he was pulling up with a big ole grin on his face.:D

What did you do for the other 80 minutes:drink:

US1 Fountain 06-20-2007 07:35 PM

Got towed by US Tow Boats a few yrs ago on Erie after loosing a lower for exactly 2 miles for a mere $1800.

bouyhunter 06-20-2007 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2170777)
What did you do for the other 80 minutes:drink:

Tried to get it up again.:D

chuck21401 06-21-2007 05:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The engine in my old Formula 242LS hydrolocked a couple miles from port. Tow Boat/US pulled me home for $250. Glad I had the towing insurance.

satisfactionII 06-21-2007 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by NickOTeen (Post 2170619)
Did that happen up in Horse Creek? That is $h!tty. The GRDA doesn't give sobriety tests that often you must have been to the bottom of that 12 pack. :drink:

Exactly. Horse Creek, Southwinds, and Jason Littlefield SUCK. There were two Lake Patrolmen. And older guy and ***** Jason Littlefield. I remember that Littlefield talked the older guy into letting him give me the sobriety test. I was no danger to myself or anyone else that night. A boat that wouldn't run, no access to any vehicle. I learned then that I will never call on the Lake Patrol for help unless there is someone dying in my boat, and I haven't been back to Horse Creek since. Oh yeah, the 12-pack was empty and it was Missouri beer. :drink:

Wobble 06-21-2007 08:39 AM

Boatus membership offers unlimited towing for 120 a year. When I hear the cost of getting towed a few miles it makes for cheap insurance, though I have yet to use it.

NickOTeen 06-21-2007 08:57 AM

I've had my own problems with him. I'm not sure how that BAJA manages to stay on plane carrying his ego around.

Originally Posted by satisfactionII (Post 2171331)
Exactly. Horse Creek, Southwinds, and Jason Littlefield SUCK. There were two Lake Patrolmen. And older guy and ***** Jason Littlefield. I remember that Littlefield talked the older guy into letting him give me the sobriety test. I was no danger to myself or anyone else that night. A boat that wouldn't run, no access to any vehicle. I learned then that I will never call on the Lake Patrol for help unless there is someone dying in my boat, and I haven't been back to Horse Creek since. Oh yeah, the 12-pack was empty and it was Missouri beer. :drink:

BY U BOY 07-04-2011 01:43 PM

I was towed 3 miles by a wave runner.:party-smiley-004::coolcowboy: He was the only person to stop out of 15 boats that blew by me that day. Paid for his gas and bought him lunch.

happy hours 07-04-2011 08:06 PM

Towed a guy in from fishing under a bridge thrus night for good karma. I have been towed a couple times by BoatUS, always have the insurance, it is cheap as compared to this hobby. My buddy got towed in 26miles out in the gulf, no insurance for 1900 bucks, made him give a CC over the VHF to come get him.

BY U BOY 07-04-2011 10:18 PM

Maybe I will start oso tow and charge half of what the others charge:drink: