Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Barry Grant Marine King Deamons Any Good???????? >

Are Barry Grant Marine King Deamons Any Good????????

Notices

Are Barry Grant Marine King Deamons Any Good????????

Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
Barry Grant 1090s are a great piece. I have 2 1090s for sale for $550 each. They have 10 hours on them.

I am not going to lie. I have spent a lot of time on these carberators. Air Bleeds went from 71 to 46 on intermediate, idle from 46 to 51 and up top from 29 to 25. Jetting was 99 square no pvs. The power valves were all over the place on opening and closing.

The linkage on this carberator is a mess. Sloppy compared to the Holley. The accel pumps are actually only discharging half way as compared to the holleys full pump shot.

The biggest problem is metering. It is obvious, the metering is a problem becuase it will not pull fuel. I was told Teague custom marine will not carry these carbs anymore, since he can not get them to run consistently either.

The Monochromatic finish is cool but that is about it. I can not believe I am reading this post. I will call you. I would say in a supercharged appl. they may work since the motor is pulling vacuum from the supercharger.

I too bought 2 holleys 80340 marine carb and put in the 93s prim 6.5 PV in front and 96s 6.5 PV in back and the thing pulls fuel Plugs look good all the way through.

I cannot beleave thie post Ken!

Its like you read my mind!
The linkage Sucks!
I pulled my Air bleeds right out of the interm circuits
I plugged my Powervalves. And running 94,s primary
96 secondarys.
The transom is still black But the trhrottle response is way
better. The air bleed removal seem to work the best.

The PSIs are drawing way to much fuel.

I have called Doug he is Rumrunner on here
He is the guy to talk to but however Every deal is different.

I would stick to Holleys next time around.

Here is the post On HB of what I did.
http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153394
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Little Tommy
The mercury marine guys have tested EVERY combination know to man kind to know what will work and mostly what lives in Marine enviorments.
These guys don't guess at combinations. They have 10 dynos running with various combinations around the clock plus a dozen boats being driven loggin hours in before the product even hits the market.
And what did the mercury guys say to use???????????
BLP carborators from BO LAWS or the stock 80340-1 Holley Marine Dominator carborator.........

No doubt Merc is on top of their game, but to condicend to any customer is not exceptable.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with Doug (Rumrunner) this morning and I expressed my concerns to him which he fully understands. I am over-night expressing these back to him. I will keep everyone posted with updates. Hopefully we can get this issue resolved for not only myself but for everyone trying to use them.
As we speak, my 80340-1 are going back on in the interim, they work just fine.
Thanks for all the replies and phone calls......The more information we get from everyone the better for trouble shooting .........LT
Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Registered

The biggest problem is metering. It is obvious, the metering is a problem becuase it will not pull fuel. I was told Teague custom marine will not carry these carbs anymore, since he can not get them to run consistently either.

However this contradicts my statement.

I am pretty fat. Black transom, And sluggish until I removed
the inter. Airbleeds.

I notice you enlarged the idle airbleeds I could use this also.

I can screw in all four corner of my idle mixtures and it
wont kill the engine.
And I have my plates adjusted so the little transfer slot reseambles a square.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by speedo
Tommy arent you going to mulberry street this weekend? I heard there is a meatball with your name on it.

Eric.
Mulberry Street ------ Next weekend!!! Want to join me????
Old 06-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Gerry

The metering is all over the board. (The way the carb pulls fuel). Since you have superchargers, u pull fuel.

Call Teague ask for Dino or Bob and would imagine u will get an ear full. Bob Teague tried and was unsuccessful.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Registered

Gerry

The metering is all over the board. (The way the carb pulls fuel). Since you have superchargers, u pull fuel.

Call Teague ask for Dino or Bob and would imagine u will get an ear full. Bob Teague tried and was unsuccessful.
Dude these are pulling fuel like Bill Cosby pulls his finger!

To bad that guy didnt part with those turbines.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, since this is getting into a pissing match I need to at least state a few facts.

Not real fair for Tommy to put a post on here, without even giving us a chance to work with him on his combination. He has since called me this morning, and I’ve asked him to get the carburetors back to me so we can rectify the problems he’s having.

Our linkage is definitely different than a Holley® it’s externally changeable, and eliminates the potential of a link falling into the engine from their internal style.

We have thousands of marine carburetors out in service, that’s not to say that some tuning may or may not be needed to get an engine to run optimally. Tommy is having an issue, and we’re going to work through it with him.

Different manufactures use different calibrations, and tuning techniques it’s a matter of what works for them, and their customers.

As fart as the two engine builders mentioned, I have nothing against either of them, however I will say that Mercury® lost their best engine builder when Gerry left. As far as boob goes, he is one of 4 engine builders in 13 years that I’ve offered to fly to his shop dyno test an engine (actually someone else’s since he doesn’t have one) show that I’ll make more HP, and then go to the water to prove that I can run better! Oh yea, Mercury was one of the others.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Who is "fart and boob"??
Old 06-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Doug, I do not think anyone is interested in you trying to rework a carberator just to get it to work. I guess that is why you are not welcome at Mercury as you stated or the other shops.

Buyer beware!

Quick Reply: Are Barry Grant Marine King Deamons Any Good????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.