Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Are Barry Grant Marine King Deamons Any Good???????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/161390-barry-grant-marine-king-deamons-any-good.html)

Little Tommy 06-19-2007 10:03 PM

Are Barry Grant Marine King Deamons Any Good????????

Just bolted on a pair of Barry Grant Marine King Deamons that are suppose to be the ultimate and the motors run absolutly terrible. Bolted on a set of standarad 1050 marine dominators and ran phenomonal. I am going to give Barry Grant a chance to straighten all this out or he can take his $1000.00 apiece carborators and shove them you know where.
It is awful embarassing when the engineers from Mercury Marine sit there and laugh at you and ask you why you wasted all your money on these carborators.
I will be contacting Barry Grant at 7:00am and will post their reply to this situation.
I have nothing to hide.

Little Tommy
Cell 262-206-7068

36spectre 06-19-2007 10:18 PM

I have 4 and they have been great.....he was also
wonderful to deal with

stecz20 06-20-2007 12:06 AM

ask pro1... he just got rid of them.....

Pure Energy 06-20-2007 07:24 AM

Mine was perfect out of the box. The King Demon is a 1095, not a 1050.

Contact RumRunner here on the board, he works for Barry Grant and is very helpful.

And if the Mercury Marine guys were "laughing" at you, then that is very unprofessional and I would have told them to take a hike!

JIMKID Motorsports 06-20-2007 07:29 AM

i had a fuel pump rebuilt by them and the service was the worst and have herd nothing but bad about them i have a awsome carb guy if you need him call me he does the carbs for th nhra pro stock guys and th ihra guys 248 909 0240 jim

kennyo 06-20-2007 07:52 AM

Had a 850 on a bb ford. Never did get it right.

Little Tommy 06-20-2007 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pure Energy (Post 2169731)
Mine was perfect out of the box. The King Demon is a 1095, not a 1050.

Contact RumRunner here on the board, he works for Barry Grant and is very helpful.

And if the Mercury Marine guys were "laughing" at you, then that is very unprofessional and I would have told them to take a hike!

The mercury marine guys have tested EVERY combination know to man kind to know what will work and mostly what lives in Marine enviorments.
These guys don't guess at combinations. They have 10 dynos running with various combinations around the clock plus a dozen boats being driven loggin hours in before the product even hits the market.
And what did the mercury guys say to use???????????
BLP carborators from BO LAWS or the stock 80340-1 Holley Marine Dominator carborator.........

Little Tommy 06-20-2007 08:09 AM

Don't misunderstand me. Barry Grant makes a beautiful carborator, but I don't think they have their combinations correct for the marine world.
It is different when you can push your car to the road VS having your boat drift into the rocks.

Panther 06-20-2007 08:11 AM

Nah... The Mercury guys just wanted you to pay $10g's for the tuned port EFI (GM which they market as their own) like the one on the 525's, which has been in existance since the late 60's when it was first on the TPI Corvette motor... :eek:

On a serious note... I've seen some problems with the BG's but haven't used them myself. I've stuck with the out of the box holley's over the years.

Pro1 06-20-2007 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Barry Grant 1090s are a great piece. I have 2 1090s for sale for $550 each. They have 10 hours on them.

I am not going to lie. I have spent a lot of time on these carberators. Air Bleeds went from 71 to 46 on intermediate, idle from 46 to 51 and up top from 29 to 25. Jetting was 99 square no pvs. The power valves were all over the place on opening and closing.

The linkage on this carberator is a mess. Sloppy compared to the Holley. The accel pumps are actually only discharging half way as compared to the holleys full pump shot.

The biggest problem is metering. It is obvious, the metering is a problem becuase it will not pull fuel. I was told Teague custom marine will not carry these carbs anymore, since he can not get them to run consistently either.

The Monochromatic finish is cool but that is about it. I can not believe I am reading this post. I will call you. I would say in a supercharged appl. they may work since the motor is pulling vacuum from the supercharger.

I too bought 2 holleys 80340 marine carb and put in the 93s prim 6.5 PV in front and 96s 6.5 PV in back and the thing pulls fuel Plugs look good all the way through.