Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Launch ramp in Holland, Michigan (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/161404-launch-ramp-holland-michigan.html)

sommerfliesby 06-20-2007 06:58 AM

Launch ramp in Holland, Michigan

Anybody launch up there? The well at the Macatawa Yacht Club is one option (but I don't know how long the ramp is), there's a public launch on the South Shore of Mac, and then there's Yacht Basin on the north side. Just need a place to launch and keep the rig for a day, pulling for the night. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and the boat is a 35 Fountain.

Mike

rv 06-20-2007 08:52 AM

I am also looking for a place to launch in the area. Something that will work for a 43' boat. We are going to Saugatuck next weekend and need a place to launch. I heard the ramp in Saugatuck will not work for this size boat.

Will the Holland ramps work or any other ideas for this general area?

Thanks,
Rick

DENNYB 06-20-2007 09:43 AM

Try The Dutton Park ramp. The performance guys all launch there. Great parking for your truck and trailer.

sommerfliesby 06-20-2007 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 2169929)
Try The Dutton Park ramp. The performance guys all launch there. Great parking for your truck and trailer.

Where is it?

Venomous 06-20-2007 10:02 AM

My preferred launch ramp is the DNR ramp near Anchorage marina off Ottawa Beach Road....http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl

There are several in/ out ramps/ docks and the ramp is well maintained. You will need to inform the ramp attendant of your overnight or you may receive a ticket. Parking is across Ottawa Beach Road. If you follow signs to the Holland State Park you will see the ramp to your left.

Venomous 06-20-2007 10:05 AM

I just tried that link and it's the whole USA! Anyway type in Holland MI or Lake Macatawa. The ramp is located in "Big Bay" and fairly well protected by wind/ current....unlike Dutton Park ramp.

KSFLYER1 06-20-2007 10:35 AM

RV, no launches in Saugatuck, just for little fishing boats. Mike, you can't leave your truck and trailer overnight in the DNR launch on Ottawa Beach Road, we haven't been back since getting a ticket on our rig for leaving it. I am not sure which launch you can use to overnight. If you are only there for the day, great launch. Ideas anyone??

KSFLYER1 06-20-2007 10:40 AM

Sorry Mike, just reread your post. The DNR launch should work great for you since your not overnighting. KS

DENNYB 06-20-2007 11:04 AM

launch ramps in Holland Mi

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby (Post 2169937)
Where is it?

The entrance is on Howard Street. You need to check it out if it would work for you. Just west of the Pfizer plant .

beckmwi 06-20-2007 11:34 AM

Another vote for Dutton Park near the old Pfizer plant. DNR by Ancorage is #2. South side of the lake is best for smaller craft.

rv 06-20-2007 11:49 AM

Thanks for the replies,
Mike, sorry for hopping on your thread but this is all good info!

We will be overnighting with the truck/trailer. Will the Dutton ramp work for our 43'. Any areas to watch out for.

Sounds like the DNR ramp is no good if need to park overnight and may not work for our boat length.

We did South Haven's ramp last year. It worked but was not the best setup for boats our size. Any issues/changes with that location since last year?

Rick

sommerfliesby 06-20-2007 11:59 AM

No worries here, Rick! All info is good info. And here's some for ya....we launched at South Haven last weekend...not too much difficulty, my trailer dragged at the top of the ramp, but it sits pretty low. Also, we had to dip the thing like 5 times when pulling out to get it to sit correctly on the bunks...current screwed with us a bit. Bob Z launched his 42 Fountain as well and had the same success.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Rambunctious 06-20-2007 12:02 PM

I have friends that use the Dutton ramp with their runabouts
it is shallow left of the ramp (looking out at the lake)
stay inbetween the cans and keep it trimmed up till the wake zone and you will be fine . the lake is too silty to see the bottom
good parking, not sure if you can stay overnight

I use the DNR launch with my 33'. larger boats launch there too
deeper in general, but stay in the channel markers all the way to it's red/green bouy pair. then strait toward the Holland channel. cutting the corner out of the dnr will get you mud in your drives.,
Possibly could ask at ELdeans marina next door for overnight parking. they have room in an overflow lot with an overhead light, near Ottawa beach road. I am going boating tonight ( with Venomous) , launching at the DNR.
we will do some checking for you on Eldeans or other parking options next to the ramp.

I'll try to post a chart if I can find it( using waterfoul acount to post pics)

Ramb

Waterfoul 06-20-2007 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lake mac pic

tamburello 06-20-2007 08:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I launch out of Macatawa Bay Yacht Club's ramp. They extended the ramp two or three years ago, but I'm only putting in an 18 Donzi so I can't speak to it having enough length for your Fountain.

- Jeff

sommerfliesby 06-21-2007 05:57 AM

I have been going up by MBYC for a few years now...my buddy and his parents are members there. It's like the Yacht Club out of an 80s movie...lots of stuffed-shirt prepped-out sailboaters...I think launching a bright-red Fountain there would probably be freakin' hilarious, and I'd do it in a second just to see the looks on people's faces...but I'm not sure the ramp is long enough, like you said.

Tibbstoy2 06-21-2007 07:51 AM

I launched my 32 Active Thunder at both Dutton park and the DNR launch last year.

My issue was also with my trailer scraping at the DNR launch, it's pretty low to the ground... it barely scrapes though. I do like the DNR launch because it is usually never affected by conditions of the lake and it is deeper with more ramps. Also, the Dutton ramp commonly has junk floating around, a little disconcerting.

Rambunctious 06-21-2007 08:53 AM

Eldeans ( next th DNR) said no room for trailer overnights... oh well

a coworker has parked his trailer overnight at DNR. I will check with him to get a phone number to call. No one was manning the booth last night

Venomous took some pics of the ramps, but is out today. We will post pics on Monday when he returns

Ramb

SHAWNA 06-21-2007 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by tamburello (Post 2170908)
I launch out of Macatawa Bay Yacht Club's ramp. They extended the ramp two or three years ago, but I'm only putting in an 18 Donzi so I can't speak to it having enough length for your Fountain.

- Jeff

Tamburello, are you a MBYC member, or do you have to pay by the launch? I was always curious how much it would cost. I see your Donzi there often.

BL6 06-21-2007 11:44 AM

So is there overnight parking at Dutton ramp?

SHAWNA 06-21-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by BL6 (Post 2171692)
So is there overnight parking at Dutton ramp?

I don't think parking there overnight would be a problem, but the local hoods might mess with your stuff. I wouldn't leave anything there overnight.

tamburello 06-21-2007 12:47 PM

Mike -

That's a pretty accurate description of MBYC. The kids in the sailing classes always gather round when I light 'em up and the stuffed shirts sipping on Mt. Gay give a disaproving glance. That'd be great to see what the reaction to your fountain would be. Who do you know at MBYC? I've seen them launch 30 foot sailboats on trailers there and they have to back down pretty far to float 'em so there might be enough ramp length.

Shawn -

I'm the lone go-fast boater at the yacht club and my boat isn't really that fast. I think that the launch fee for people that don't keep their boat there is $25. It seems like everytime I see you out on the water I'm on the land, maybe we'll meet up one of these days.

- Jeff

sommerfliesby 06-21-2007 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by tamburello (Post 2171794)
Mike -

That's a pretty accurate description of MBYC. The kids in the sailing classes always gather round when I light 'em up and the stuffed shirts sipping on Mt. Gay give a disaproving glance. That'd be great to see what the reaction to your fountain would be. Who do you know at MBYC? I've seen them launch 30 foot sailboats on trailers there and they have to back down pretty far to float 'em so there might be enough ramp length.

- Jeff

Jeff,
Cory Koch (pronounced "Cook") and his wife Kelly are really good friends...we're going to visit them this weekend actually. His dad Dale has a 31 foot Cal named "Integrity" at Eldeans. We'll probably be hanging around there Sat night when we get back and park the boat somewhere. If you see the red boat, stop in and say hey.

Mike

tamburello 06-21-2007 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll keep an eye out for you. This is what my little ride looks like. Have a good weekend!

- Jeff

randy carlson 06-22-2007 11:02 AM

I believe you can pay to park overnight at DNR 10$ a night will have to park accross street in their parking lot, can get pass at launch office, Dutton free been going there 4 years have left parked for up to 10 days never had any problems. both have bit short docks.
If you use Dutton keep drives up and dont go left facing water at all, other than that works good head straight for the big green bouy then turn right- be careful there is a little marked slow no wake from just past the first launch you see on your left passed the marina on your left all the little guys will be going fast thru there. Enjoy the area

Rambunctious 06-28-2007 08:06 AM

confirming randy's tatements
i talked to my buddy regarding the DNR launch
you can stay in the parking lot overnight, if you get a pass at the Holland state park office ( 1 mile down the road)

Dutton, using the day pass you can stay overnight also.

Ramb

thrashercharged 07-28-2014 02:25 PM

I realize this is an ancient thread but I'm needing to know where to put in a 25 footer in Holland. I visited last weekend and took a look around without the boat. I didn't see a manned office at any ramp. I'm from out of town and will be looking for a day pass. Where do I pay the fee and get a pass for any of the three ramps?

So Dutton allows overnight for no extra charge? If I have to drive down to the Holland state park office at the far west end of the road to pay the fees and get my permits, do I tow the boat down there too? It's there a big turnaround? And what about Kollen Park? It looked nice, is the ramp deep enough there? Good channel, etc? Overnight allowed?

Thanks, Tom