Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone ever have a run in with a snake on their boat? >

Anyone ever have a run in with a snake on their boat?

Notices

Anyone ever have a run in with a snake on their boat?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts
Exclamation Anyone ever have a run in with a snake on their boat?

I had the unpleasant experience of a snake this weekend!!!
I was doing my dads neighbor a favor by looking at his fishing boat outboard cause it was having problems starting......i yank off 1/2 the boat cover and pull off the cowling on the engine....all looks good. So he says "heres the keys, try and start it" So i crawl under the vover and sit in the driver seat and was looking for the key hole....find it just infront of the shifter....i go to reach for it just at teh same time the guy is pulling the cover the rest of the way off......and what do ya know........there sitting on the ledge just above the key hole is a snake somewhere around 2-3' long coiled up!!!!! i about jumped out of my skin trying to get out of the boat!!!! the snake must have woken up or what not and then slithered down and up and under the gunnel of the boat....i think it was sitting on the shifter cables!!!! Needless to say i told him to take it to a marine mechanic cause i wasnt going back in that boat for anything!!!!

I'm getting shivers again just thinking about it!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate snakes. Gives me the shivers reading your story.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Registered

I Hate Snakes!!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wally
I had the unpleasant experience of a snake this weekend!!!
I was doing my dads neighbor a favor by looking at his fishing boat outboard cause it was having problems starting......i yank off 1/2 the boat cover and pull off the cowling on the engine....all looks good. So he says "heres the keys, try and start it" So i crawl under the vover and sit in the driver seat and was looking for the key hole....find it just infront of the shifter....i go to reach for it just at teh same time the guy is pulling the cover the rest of the way off......and what do ya know........there sitting on the ledge just above the key hole is a snake somewhere around 2-3' long coiled up!!!!! i about jumped out of my skin trying to get out of the boat!!!! the snake must have woken up or what not and then slithered down and up and under the gunnel of the boat....i think it was sitting on the shifter cables!!!! Needless to say i told him to take it to a marine mechanic cause i wasnt going back in that boat for anything!!!!

I'm getting shivers again just thinking about it!

Now that's pretty funny right there now.

Just glad you did not get bit. What kind of snake was it?

I have always been concerned while overnighting on our boat that a water snake might climb up the swim platform and make itself at home in the cockpit. That would not be a good surprise when you wake up in the morning.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered

Come on to NC we have nice sized Rattle Snakes and Water Mocasines. We usually see a couple everytime we go out. The rattle snakes stay away from the water but the water moasines are there waiting. Glad you are okay!!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Registered

http://www.youtube.com/?v=p_UnV3RbCtg
Old 06-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
I have no idea what kind of snake it was.....didnt stick around long enough to find out!!! sure did kinda look like that one in the video....i know it was dark colored....no real other colors...it did have some design on it but like i said...i was gone and half way home running across the tops of the water before it started to move!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Wally,
Be thankful you were on land. If that would have been on the water I don't think the bow of that boat would have been long enough for you to get far enough away...

Rick
Old 06-20-2007, 12:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Couple of chics on mine did it was a one eyed viper

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 06-20-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snake VS Acura RSX

Considered yourself warned though, graphic
http://ebaumsworld.com/tags/snake-in-engine

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have a run in with a snake on their boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.