Notices

GPS mount

Old 11-27-2001, 08:39 PM
kook

Question GPS mount

Got a Garmin GPSMAP 76 for my b-day. Now I need some accessories for it. First is the boat mount. Gotta be very durable, capable of holding onto the GPS after large jumps, etc.... Obviously, this will have to be a screw-in base - no biggie.

Next, for the car. Looking for a windshield suction model, to hang up near the rear-view mirror - no place on dash to thread screws into. Advice?

Any other "essential" GPS accessories I have forgotten? I know I need a carry bag - man, they don't include ANYTHING with these GPS's.

Anyone want to cut a deal on Garmin Mapsource software? I'm looking for the Roads&Recreation CD or the Metro guide CD. If so, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] . Got CD burner, and software to share from my end as well (operating systems, Office 97 Pro, Office 2000 Pro, AutoCad 2000, etc, etc.). NOTE: I do not condone illegal copying of ANY software

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: kook ]

Old 11-27-2001, 08:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
I don't know about a mount for the car. I just wanted to say that I think Garmin really F&*$S you on their accessories. I paid almost as much for a swivel mount and a 12V cable as I did for the GPS!

Dave M.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:05 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kook,

I sold my GPS III Plus and just discovered about ten minutes ago while cleaning my desk that I still have the MapSource Waterways & Lights CD. If interested send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will mail it to you free of charge. Did I say free, I mean that you will have to show me around the area if I tow up there next season!
Mark
Old 11-28-2001, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the CD !!!!! I have a burner !!!!

I just put a mount in my 27' Advantage and in my Excursion !!!!! I have the Garmin GPS MAP 295 which is the pilot version of the Street Pilot III.

Checkout "Tropic Aero" at www.tropicaero.com for the accessories. I just bought a couple mounts & suction antennas ans such.

Drop me a line

[email protected]

Regards.......cjg.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Is the Marine mount stout enough to hold the unit if you launch the boat or what? I too think the $$ on the accessories are a bit steep. I'm trying to decide about the CD's. I'll try that website for $$.
Thanks,
Dean
Old 01-10-2002, 01:02 PM
kook

I ended up getting the RAM marine mounts - one with screw-down base for the boat, and one with 4" diam suction cup for use in the track. Sure hope the marine mount is durable anough - "looks" like it is, but I won't be able to give test results 'till April.

Old 01-10-2002, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Check out eBay for Garmin accessories. They have tons of cables and CD's. I just got an eTrex Legend for Xmas. Can't wait til spring to do some proving... or maybe not.
Your right though Garmin rips you on their accessories.
Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2002, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've got a Garmin III plus, bought the mount at boater's world for like $15 or so and tie wrapped it to the dash, yes I did say tie wrap!!