Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How did you decide on which boat for your first? >

How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Notices

How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Old 06-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that the 1999 Pantera in Texas was "unloved", to be kind. I waited 20 years between when I stopped driving my parents boats and when I bought my own. I had buddies who had a Scarab Panther, an Avanti and a Magnum but there was a local guy with a race pack Pantera that I fell in love with. Pantera was on the short list when I went looking...
Old 06-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
I heard that the 1999 Pantera in Texas was "unloved", to be kind. I waited 20 years between when I stopped driving my parents boats and when I bought my own. I had buddies who had a Scarab Panther, an Avanti and a Magnum but there was a local guy with a race pack Pantera that I fell in love with. Pantera was on the short list when I went looking...
Wow, thanks for the headsup on that boat, i was considering going to look at it.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Registered

My bad. Wrong boat. I was thinking of the 1999 with 454s in Tx... http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=149761
Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by knockld
Someone mentioned Pantera earlier. I haven't riden in one but have heard they are good in the rough especially for their size.

Fastboats.com has a 1999 28 Pantera that was repowered with new 500 EFI's and drives in 2006. In other words the real expensive stuff should be solid. The pictures they have make it look pretty good. You could spend a little more money and have some nice graphics or the dash and gauges upgraded and have a real looker. They list the top end at 85 and with twin 500's with tube headers it will definently sound the way you want. They are asking 80K but it has been for sale for awhile. I bet you could get a good price on it.

Fastboats.com has two locations, one in FL and one in TX so I bet getting it to you would be fairly easy as well. Not trying to push them on you but I have met Randy and he seems very genuine.

Maybe some others could weigh in but I think this would meet most of what you could ever want. Good luck.
That boat is already sold. I surveyed it last week. It was a little screamer!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmeng
They're all going to feel fast compared to a Cobalt. Most 30 - 35 footers out there will run mid to upper 70s with HOs. Makes for a good, reliable package that doesn't burn a stupid amount of gas.

If it was my money, for where I boat I'd be looking for a 35 Executioner but everyone has different tastes...

what draws you to the executioner?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

After months of looking, I ended up buying a friends boat.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

For me I have always dreamed of owning an Apache. I also wanted reliable/mild powerplants (no 800 hp per side). I have a 40' slip so my options were either a 36' or a 41'. I opted for the 36' because it worked out that way. Plus I figured 36' was plenty to learn how to drive for a first boat.

So I saved $ and boat slutted for many years until I found "the one" and the rest is history.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:21 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My grandfather died and left me (out of 22 grandchildren) his 1972 Sears Gamefisher 14' Aluminum boat w/ a 7.5hp Ted Williams. The rest is history. I was 9. 2 years later it was painted red/black and gold to match a Fountain ICBM and was re-powered with a 15 Evinrude w/ a 9.9 cowling so I could take it on a local lake w/ hp restrictions

Still Have it. Sits in storage for my son to learn. He's gonna use it this summer in NJ. I'll never get rid of it.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for lake use---30' Spectre cat twin outboards...last I looked there were a few on the boattrader for sale.
100 MPH WHEN you choose to go that fast, doesn't use a ridiculous amount of fuel like twin big-blocks, no noise tickets. Have you ever heard the scream of outboards at 6500+ RPM? Its a sickness
How "big" do these choppy lakes get that you will be hanging out at??
Old 06-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been looking for months now. All I can say is every boat seems to have a "story", even ones which are supposedly new. My recommendation is don't get blindsided by features, styling, or speed. Check out every detail, and followup on anything that even remotely looks or sounds suspicious. Most likely there is something wrong. I hate to say it, but I have run into more shady characters in a few months, than I've met in an entire lifetime You can find good boats, but you really have to do your homework. There are no shortcuts.

Michael.

Quick Reply: How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.