Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How did you decide on which boat for your first? >

How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Notices

How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Old 06-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Wow, looking at all the different manufacturers, powerplant options, hull types, etc, there are alot of different ways to go. So how did you decide on your first one? What was your first offshore boat? If you could go back to that time period, would you have done anything differently?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I looked for a solid performer with a solid industry name. Something that I would not get bored with in 1-3 season's time, and something that I was unlikely to see besides my own.

If I had it to do over again, I would have looked for a 28 Active Thunder. However, I had found a 26' Sonic with an HP500EFI (which was rare for a 1999 vintage), and I have NO regrets. I was bored with the boat during/after the 3rd season, and jumped to a 37 Active Thunder before the my 4th season with the Sonic.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had no idea about brands or quality. All I knew was I wanted something with a Chevy based powerplant and I wanted it fast, loud and sexy looking.

I spotted a left over new 1970 18' SeaRay Pachanga with a 327 Chevy, 225 hp. It was almost 4 times my budget, but I had to have it.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the local guy's from my neighborhood had a 24' Pantera that was just awesome and every time we passed his house he would have 2 or 3 (different) girls either coming back or leaving with him in his boat.....SO I said "damn all I got get me is one of them there Pantera boats.." and the rest is history.
Regrets...should have never sold my first Pantera 24'.
Attached Thumbnails How did you decide on which boat for your first?-pantera-3.jpg  
Old 06-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I looked for a solid performer with a solid industry name. Something that I would not get bored with in 1-3 season's time, and something that I was unlikely to see besides my own.

If I had it to do over again, I would have looked for a 28 Active Thunder. However, I had found a 26' Sonic with an HP500EFI (which was rare for a 1999 vintage), and I have NO regrets. I was bored with the boat during/after the 3rd season, and jumped to a 37 Active Thunder before the my 4th season with the Sonic.
I second most of that. I also wanted something that I could resale quickly 2-5 years down the line and not lose much, if any money. I bought a 24 python and she was great for me. I ended up selling her for $300 more than what I paid. Would not have done it any diferently. It takes a lot of shopping to be able to recognize good deals and boats that can sell quickly. You don't want a project.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

cigarette
Old 06-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

$$$$$$
Old 06-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Registered

whew! going back twenty years,alot of it was the color scheme,(did not know any better) if it looked cool,sounded cool buy it........then ask the mechanic..what the hell is a coupler....and why is it 500.00 bucks
Old 06-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

My first "offshore" boat is my current Cigarette Bullet. I wanted a 30-foot boat that would look good and be a "wave crusher".

I'm on my second season, and I am very happy with my decision to buy a Cigarette!
Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy of mine had a 1991, 24' Chaparelle, with a big block in it. The boat was only two years old, and he was trading it in on a 28 Baja sport with twin big blocks. We were working the midnight shift, and he asked me to take a ride in the morning to trade it in, and pick up the new boat. All the way to the boat, and going out of the harbor, he was complaining how much the boat cost him, and how little he was getting on the trade. About half way there i asked how much they were giving him. When i heard the price, i said, turn around, i'll give you cash for it, and we will drive there. We did, and i was a boat owner for the first time. I had no slip, never drove a boat, and had no idea what i was getting into...... i'm glad i did it....... This was 1993 and he still owns the Baja.....

Quick Reply: How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.