Notices

Big Cu. In. engines

Old 06-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Big Cu. In. engines

Hi Guys, I searched the forums and did not find an answer. I am new to the offshore boating so I hope it is not a dumb question. I understand that in racing the size of a motor will be restricted but for pleasure/ poker run, the biggest size cu. in. motor I have found is the 632. I am just wondering if there are any builders making any 800 cu.in. engines I know that drag racing and marine are totally different but that size motor is used in IHRA drag racing. So I was thinking, on some of the Larger boats 39' and up in stead of triple and quad if a builder could make an 800 cu. in. turbo or supercharged fuel injected motor, you could make some serious tq. and hp.

Now I know with the 800 IHRA engines they are only used a 1/4 mile at a time, but if you spin the motor only to 5500rpms and use quality billet steel parts, I wonder if durability will not be a problem. Also if someone already started a thread on this subject sorry for restarting if you could post a link to the thread that would be great.

Oh and I am in no way in the market for such an engine, this is just a thought I had.

Thanks----Brad

Last edited by B251; 06-24-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: content
Old 06-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stotler has a 700+ V8. Torque had an 872 V12.

http://www.stotlerracing.com/
Old 06-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B251,
I like your thinking about big cubes; if you can reliably make decent horspower without extra equipment ( turbochargers, blowers, etc.) I think you're ahead of the game. Bear in mind that the more exotic you get with aftermarket blocks etc., the less you can find off the shelf parts rapidly.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

I have built many IHRA 814+ cu.in Pro Stock engines....just waiting for someone to order a set of N/A marine engines. We can build anything you can dream of.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
B251,
I like your thinking about big cubes; if you can reliably make decent horspower without extra equipment ( turbochargers, blowers, etc.) I think you're ahead of the game. Bear in mind that the more exotic you get with aftermarket blocks etc., the less you can find off the shelf parts rapidly.
Nothing is shelf stock....all custom built parts. Very good point. It takes time to get everything this time of the year.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
B251,
Jhiguy377 thanks for the kind words.

Yah, I see some of these large boats with Tri and Quad engines in the boats, I mean if its time for a rebuild that has got to be some serious $$$$. but from the start if you have 2, 800 + cube engines supercharged or turbo with fuel injection I would think you could be close to the same power of 4 engines but you would have less weight from the additinol drives and engines plus your maintinence is less with 2 engines vs 4, I understand the exotic parts are more and less avail. but if more people use em the less exotic they become, I mean how long ago before the 540 became mainstream?

Just some of my thoughts thanks for the replies.----Brad

Last edited by B251; 06-24-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Registered

I guess I should not be worried about the cost of maintinence for 3 or 4 engines considering I don't have the $$$ for a boat that big.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldnt think a large rotating assembly would hold up to constant rpm?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tommy at Chief Engines motto:

"There's no replacement for Displacement".
Old 06-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I have said for years that BIG inch motors have their place in marine applications. The biggest problem that I see is fitting it in a boat. With a Merlin 11.625 block and big chief heads, you pretty much rule out side by side applications. I have spent a lot of time figuring out the parts needed and the cost, and a 600 inch supercharged motor just makes more sense. The cost is about the same and the 600 incher will fit in almost anything, so you don't limit yourself as an engine builder. That doesn't mean that I don't want to build one, because I have always wanted to. Who wants one???

Quick Reply: Big Cu. In. engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.