Like Tree0Likes

Fastest Skater gets a make over

Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Thing View Post
Drift,
someone put a lot of money into converting this boat, don't put them down for it. if you wanted to keep it "original" then maybe you should have ponied up the $$.
I'm not trying to put the new owner down. Is the boat still awesome? Yes... and you are right, if I had the $$$ would I have bought it. Unfortunately I don't, God knows I wish I did. That does not mean I can't and shouldn't have an opinion on it. That boat is a piece of Racing History.

Being a person that appreciates things for what they are, there was something very special about that boat the way it was. Like historic races at Monterey, it is fantastic to see pieces of Racing history preserved wether it be automotive, aeronautic like a P51 Mustang or Aquatic. I hope that the trends in both the automotive and aeronautic also start to filter into boating, we curently see it in wooden boats and river boats, why not offshore?

Not knowing the real $$$$ spent on converting a boat but considering the ammount of work that is visible, almost every aspect of the boat above the waterline has been changed. I was thinking that they could have just gone out and bought a purpose built Skater instead.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Registered

My Boats: SKATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
I'm not trying to put the new owner down. Is the boat still awesome? Yes... and you are right, if I had the $$$ would I have bought it. Unfortunately I don't, God knows I wish I did. That does not mean I can't and shouldn't have an opinion on it. That boat is a piece of Racing History.

Being a person that appreciates things for what they are, there was something very special about that boat the way it was. Like historic races at Monterey, it is fantastic to see pieces of Racing history preserved wether it be automotive, aeronautic like a P51 Mustang or Aquatic. I hope that the trends in both the automotive and aeronautic also start to filter into boating, we curently see it in wooden boats and river boats, why not offshore?

Not knowing the real $$$$ spent on converting a boat but considering the ammount of work that is visible, almost every aspect of the boat above the waterline has been changed. I was thinking that they could have just gone out and bought a purpose built Skater instead.
I also have a new 40 skater being built.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Registered

My Boats: SOLD! 1991 Sutphen 26' Rum Runner

I hate most tribal, but that's the best I've ever seen.
If the owner wants to turn it back to heritage colors later, shouldn't be a big deal to close her up and repaint. No big.
Do what you want. When you want.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

How fast did you have the boat going so far??
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: '93 43' Scarab "5" boat, 38 Scarab Miami Vice edition

Hey Flight me & Tim think it's bad a$$. Nice job hope to hook-up with you next time I'm in town. Maybe I'll bring my GTX.