Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is this a bad idea??????????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/161874-bad-idea.html)

TexomaPowerboater 06-25-2007 09:58 PM

Is this a bad idea???????????

Allright...... its the middle of summer and I'm boatless and shopping for a boat. Being boatless sucks......I sold my 24 python to buy a local boat and the mechanical inspection DID NOT check out. I found a BAD AZZ 30ft CHRIS CAT for next to nothing. Its in great shape - 502 crates with 300 hours. TRS drives with speedmaster lowers. Everything in good shape with a relatively new paint job, nice trailer, good owner, etc. Looks good and she will be checked out thoroughly.

I've never been in a cat and prefer the V. I do all of my boating on Texoma. I enjoy the occasional flight time you can get with a V, but the cat's seem more comfortable at speeds. I also like the idea of all the room I will have in this beast - I could take the whole family on a poker run. It seems like a really safe and solid wave crusher. I really would like a 28 pantera, but this deal is too good to pass up. Reliability is extremely important and I don't know how much trouble the 502 crates or TRS drives will give me, but from what I've heard - not much. Should I pick up this steal and trade up down the road, or wait for a newer 28 pantera and spend about $20,000 more.

I'd post a link, but it really is a steal:D :D

Tantrum 06-25-2007 10:05 PM

It depends on weather you want to be a cat guy for the rest of your boating days. Once you buy a cat you wont be a "V guy" ever again.
:drink: :drink:

lightspeed 06-25-2007 10:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Buy This Its Brand New Only 4.5 Hrs Test Time

Panther 06-26-2007 08:36 AM

TRS with speedmaster lowers???? Are you sure they're not #2 speedmaster drives?? If so you won't be able to get parts for them.

AIR TIME 06-26-2007 08:51 AM

I'd look at lightspeeds boat it is a 29. and a good rough and fast flat water boat. its fast than that cat with stock 502 crates. and new against a 25 to 27yr old boat drives are so so. thats why its a good deal. if someone buys it change out to xrs b1s thats 20gs 502s would need a up grade to get good speed 550hp to 650hp thats 5gs per motor. so for extra 25 to 30gs the cat would be reliable. art

Steve_H 06-26-2007 09:20 AM

might want to check insurance price and availability before making your decision

Brad Zastrow 06-26-2007 11:09 AM

Those Chris cats are old school technolgy as far as cats go. They will ride rough and wet. They will take a lot power to run 100 mph. Try it first before you buy. I would look for an older Eliminator or Skater first. There are some deals on those older cats. They have been making cats for years that ride much better.

TexomaPowerboater 06-26-2007 01:01 PM

Thanks for the good feedback.

I think I may pass on this one..... Its a kick azz boat, but the TRS outdrives and other old hardware is a little too much for me to replace.
Brad Zastow - you made an excellent point - I forgot how important it is to get a boat with excellant history. The chris cat has good history but they only made it for 2 or 3 years, which doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Here she is.....it will be an awesome deal for someone
http://www.boatcrazy.com/search/deta...t=&link=&text=

That kryptonite is kick azz, but right now my budget is limited to under $45K.

Ran-Dom 32 06-26-2007 02:02 PM

go for the chris- cat, that's a whole lot of boat for under 30K, that is the same hull used by AO, Awesome ect..

AIR TIME 06-26-2007 05:20 PM

if you could get it for alittle less. 24 to 25 gs. I know where you can get to drive packages 07 b1 x drives with hp gimbals 6400 each thats 12800 and freshen up those 502s to 550hp for 4000 each thats 50,000 you would have a good boat.