Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do I Need A Clockwise Or Counter Clock Wise Starter? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/161875-do-i-need-clockwise-counter-clock-wise-starter.html)

jeff32 06-25-2007 10:04 PM

Do I Need A Clockwise Or Counter Clock Wise Starter?

I want to order a new starter and solenoid for a spare. so, on a 1989 454-420 mercruiser, TRS set up. the starter is mounted in the back of the engine on the left side when you are in front of the engine, and on top. so, compared to the ones installed below the left side of the engine, do I need a counter clock starter? model number on the one I have is written JAE1171

Thanks

MitchStellin 06-25-2007 10:13 PM

I have never heard of a starter that spun in different directions. On twins the motors spin the same, the prop is what spins in a different direction. If it is a single than you just get a chevy starter, it should be marine worthy but in a pinch it will work fine. They make a mini starter that is much easier to install. I may be wrong, we'll soon find out:D

jeff32 06-25-2007 10:18 PM

I'm thinking different direction since it is backwards compared to when it is mounted down below... that why I'm not sure and need opinions on that...

jeff32 06-25-2007 10:19 PM

and yes twin engines spinning the same direction...

MitchStellin 06-25-2007 10:26 PM

On top eh, I have never seen this either, I am having a hard time picturing this and I have rebuilt 4 BBs, I had 1988 454/365s but the starter was was on the bottom, and the 502/490s were the same.. My guess is still the same starter, I guess the part number would be the ticket, just get the same one and it should work.

10x 06-25-2007 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff, that is a standard marine "top mount" starter. And they are counter rotating since the nose is facing forward rather than backward. I'm assuming this is how your starter is mounted.
For only a few bucks more, the Merc 900 starter will mount up the same way. It's way smaller and easier to install, and it's a high torque starter that will probably out last the boat.

jeff32 06-26-2007 06:42 AM

looks like mine! Counter rotating was my thought. thanks

Panther 06-26-2007 08:32 AM

It's a rear mount, std. rotating starter.... Throw the word counter rotating in there and you'll confuse the parts guy.

Also, when you get the new one just set them side by side and look at the angle that's machined into the starter gear, it should be machined in the same direction, reverse rotation will be machined just the opposite.

When I was a kid my father had one std. and one counter rotating engines, so the starters were both different.....

OkieTunnel 06-26-2007 09:43 AM

Yes, that starter has to be opposite rotation. I have had a local starter and alternator shop convert one for me before. Apparently its not that hard