Notices

Launch at South Haven MI

Old 06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Launch at South Haven MI

Has anyone launched a 40'+ boat at the ramp in South Haven on the river this year? We did it last year ok but was wondering if anything changed that we should watch out for.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 06-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Rick,
Bob Z launched his 42 Fountain there, and I talked to a couple guys who launched a couple old-school 12-meter beakers as well. It went really well, boat just floated off no sweat. It's a little shallow, and when you head out to the lake, stay to the right until you get to the bridge by Cptn. Lou's. My trailer dragged at the top of the ramp, but it sits REALLY low. Getting her back on was a bit of an issue...the current was f'n with us and we had to dip both boats 3 or 4 times to get them right in the bunks.
How long are you gonna be up that way? I'll be in Muskegon on the Fourth, leaving on the 6th.
mike
Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this Rick with Excess Wetness, friends of Danny and Patty?? If it is, we talked to you at the Chicago Poker Run last year. My wife and I will be in South Haven this Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon. When are you headed out? Its possible that I could give you a hand at the dock. If so I'll give ya my cell #. Keith
Old 06-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Rick, just FYI, a good place to ask questions about Michigan is in the "Boating by Region" section and go to "Great Lakes and Canada" area.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 AM
rv
Registered

KSFLYER1,
Yes it is. I missed your post before we left. Thanks for the offer. We were going to run across but that NE wind was blowing for a couple days and we decide to trailer around. We launched at South Haven. The ramp and docks are pretty short for our boats but we had enough people in our group to make it work. Not ideal ramp but it does work! We had a great time boating on your side of the lake. We stayed in Saugatuck and ran to Grand Haven on Saturday. There was a lot of boat traffic on the river in front of the city wall. We saw a nice Skater go by. I noticed alot of turn down tail pipes on the boats there!

Will you be at the Chicago Poker run this year? If so stop by and say hi. Danny and Patti are going too.

Rick

Last edited by rv; 07-02-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Rick,

You guys passed us on 94 heading back to Chicago.
I was towing an older black and blue jet boat.

Beautiful rig, but looks like a handful to tow.

Paul
Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Registered

Hey Rick, we'll definately see you at the Chicago Poker Run, glad you had a great time this weekend. Yes, they are having a real noise crackdown issue in Grand Haven, don't know what sparked it though?? We were up there the week before, and all the locals had big underwater turndowns, including a big Skater called Ruthless, sounded like an outboard at idle. Talk to ya in Chicago, Keith.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
rv
Registered

Paul,
I remember seeing your boat! My wife and I discussed your boat as we passed by. That was like a boat we almost bought a few boats back. Yes it can be a little nerving at times. It is amazing how you notice how bad the roads are and misalignments in the road with bridges,etc. when pulling it.

KSFLYER1,
Rustless sounds like the boat we saw, it did have turndowns on it.

Rick