Notices

Fastest 28 Nordic Heat

Old 07-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of drive enhancements is everyone using when your in that 800+ hp range? What kind of life cycle do they provide?

Mark
Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Steve,
Thanks for posting. Your boat is the only one I have seen run. As I said, I have not seen your dyno sheet, so I can't comment on it. Since you have driven this boat, how fast did it run? They told me 72 but, as I said, I wasn't there so I have to take their word. I did see the recall, but that doesn't mean much. Forgot to mention earlier that the motor had a set of CMI headers. Don't know what they are worth for hp on the 496 HO. I have heard as much as 50 hp, but that sounds kind of high to me. Don't know.

The boat will get a lot of re-rigging. It needs a lot to make it reliable with this kind of hp. The last pair of motors that I did like this were for Eric Smith and made 967 and 963 hp. The only diff. in these motors are the heads. I used Dart CNC's on Erics and this motor has Brodix heads. It will be interesting to see the diff in hp.
All I knew is what I had heard. That was that your motor made 700-750 hp and the boat ran in the 90's. That was all I initially had to go on. I did not see the dyno sheet nor was I there, so I don't know if it is right or not. I don't even know what is in your motor. With those numbers, you could see my confusion when compared to everyone else's numbers. Sorry if anyone got their feelings hurt. This is a very passionate group and thats good. You guys can be a wealth of info for me in dialing in this boat. I will keep you posted, Eddie.
Eddie,
Our dyno test did enable us to find some extra horsepower, but as far as statistical data goes, it is useless.
I drove Nate and Jeff's boat with the TC motor. Nate was quite capable and familiar with it when it was stock, but it was proving to be a handful for him with the new motor. I guess the 496MagHO with CMIs could get low 70s under good conditions.
I drove it briefly (with the TC motor) for one hard pass, the throttle trim wasn't working, the tabs were a lttle FAST , and I was trimming with the dash buttons, so it was far from hung out. Anyway, the tach did read 5400 with their 32" Bravo 1 and 1:35 gears.
I flipped the GPS speedo recall on and the needle was falling off. Nate says that's how it works (mine will stay on peak speed until you turn it off or erase it, don't know if their's is hooked up correctly?). He also said it was reading 94, and that seems correct. Again there was plenty left. I never got on the trim or ran very far.
The boat handled just like mine, a little torque roll to the left on acelleration, and then smooth as silk. I think Nate was over trimming, because he was used to "milking" the old motor and setup for speed. I couldn't get it to chinewalk at all. It should handle great when you get the rigging straightened out. Keep us posted.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-08-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
Those numbers sound right in line. Just had a thought. Don't you have an imco lower unit with a nose cone? If so that could account for the fact you're getting better slip numbers than me, and maybe a little more speed /hp.
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the review. I know you've built and dynoed several big motors for Heats. You have an excellent data base, as well as a dyno that actually works ...............
I do think the Imco a handles better than the stock XR housing, and the faster you go, the more it helps. There has to be some water deflection off that blunt nose, short torpedo at the speeds we're running. The Imco has that nice long radiused torpedo that I'm used to from racing Merc outboards.
BTW, we had Leading Edge nose cones added to one of my buddy's 42' Fountain with 575s/XRs. His speed picked up 2 MPH, and his RPMs fell (I think) 200. This was with 30" P5-Xs. The fellow who did them also built my racing housings. They look EXACTLY like an IMCO now. I measured the tip of the torpedo to the trailing edge, and it's exactly the same as my IMCO @ 22.5"s. I think we figured out where IMCO got their master plug for their mold ....................
There is also a signifigant savings by switching stock XR (or other Bravo) housings to IMCO style with the Leading Edge nose cone, and this guy does a great job welding/plumbing/blending/painting them. You can put my Imco next to my friend's XR/LE and they are exactly the same. The only thing you can't get from his setup, unlike IMCO, is a shorty. Of course on our boats, shortys aren't needed anyway.
Let me know if you need his contact #s and I'll hook you up.
Best Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-05-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,
How does the water pickup work our on this nose cone application. The transom mounts do not work very well on these hulls so a good LWP nose would be desireable.
Thx,
Dave
Old 07-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
What kind of drive enhancements is everyone using when your in that 800+ hp range? What kind of life cycle do they provide?

Mark
Mark,
I can only speak for my setup. So far, I am very pleased with my updates, but hey it's a Bravo, so next week could be different .
Eric Betty of EB Marine (615-714-2944) built my drive, as well as my motor. He has some new tweaks that seem to be working well for us. I don't think I should discuss his proprietary information here, as it is his profession. I would give Eric a call regarding upgrading your drive(s). He does a fantastic job keeping us running here in TN.
Regards,
Steve
PS, love your boats......they look great. how is the inboard coming?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eddie, I think we are a different breed than most folks you'll deal with. We're very detail and numbers oriented. Numbers don't lie. We've spent a ton of time and money getting the data we have. I retired from a career working in a laboratory
doing applied R&D on telecommunications, electronics and computer equipment. The boat/engine business is my passion turned profession. Nordicflame is an engineer who got addicted to performance boating. Steve.....well, he's just passionate, and he likes his boating too! LOL.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Steve,
How does the water pickup work our on this nose cone application. The transom mounts do not work very well on these hulls so a good LWP nose would be desireable.
Thx,
Dave
Dave,
Using the LWP Leading Edge, it works just like an IMCO. The only problem I have had (with the IMCO) is excessive water pressure. Fixed with some intake manifold dumps recommended by Eddie Young, and a Mercury 30 PSI pop off valve (which didn't open until 40PSI, and Eric adjusted for me).
Regards,
Steve
Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Steve,
You said you drove the boat in the low 70's, so why did everyone have a hard time believing me when I said it ran 72? Is this an unusally high speed for a 28 with a 496HO?. Nate is going to need a little seat time before he stands on it. I believe this is their first performance boat. What better way to get into high performance boating than a 28 with 950 hp

Mark,
This boat has a Max Machine bravo. Don't know how well it will hold up, but I will keep you posted.

Bob,
Accurate numbers are exactly what I was looking for. Untrue and unrealistic numbers don't do me any good. I appreciate the time that you guys have spent helping me.
Thanks, Eddie.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Steve,
You said you drove the boat in the low 70's, so why did everyone have a hard time believing me when I said it ran 72? Is this an unusally high speed for a 28 with a 496HO?.
I think he started with a 575, could be wrong though.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Steve started with a 575, but this one started with a 496 HO with CMI headers and ran 72 mph.

Quick Reply: Fastest 28 Nordic Heat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.