Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms? >

Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Notices

Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Hey Group,

We're trying to plan for attending the 2008 Desert Storm Poker Run April 24-26, 2008 and are looking for suggestions on where to stay. Not sure about the Nautical Inn but that is the official HQ for the poker run. Rumor has it they've jacked their prices up for the weekend event and we'd rather not deal with that. Where else to stay that is close? Anyone have a condo to rent that weekend? How about boat parking? This is something we've wanted to do for a long time and there will be 4 of us on the boat with us guys doing the hauling from Wisconsin to Arizona.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered

The Nautical raised their price 100$ but it goes toward your entry fee. For us, the Nautical is the only place. All of the sponsors are there, the cove is filled with beautiful boats, the Naked Turtle is 100 hundred yards away from your room, and the best part I think is the private launch ramp.

I used to live in Shawano Wisconsin.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Registered

The Nautical is the prime location although most of the Havasu locals claim squatter's rights to all the beach moorings in the cove and surrounding areas at the Nautical. Their pop up tents go up several days before. Those prime spots should go to all the people staying at the Nautical and any portion of its beach area.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Registered

The Nautical still has rooms available, I added $100.00 charge per room for which is applied to your poker run entry or your extra crew members to discourage people not particiating in the run from staying there. We'll see if it works.

The only boats that can be beached at the Nautical belong to people staying there and must have a colored band obtained from the hotel. Yes, the cove spots go fast, and people do put up their canopies to mark their spot, but they get there 3 to 4 days before the run to do so. The rule is, the boat must be there before the spot can be held, no saving spots when the boat hasn't even arrived.

We have a major challenge in having enough places to park the boats in the water due to the LHC Marina actively discouraging performance boats from launching there or getting slips. We ask that no one participating in the run purchase anything thru the Marina due to their attitudes. The other challenge is the Bureau of Land Management people stopping any docks or marina's being added to the lake. We may be adding temporary docks if we can swing it, again, we'll see The only other hotel that has docking space is the London Bridge Resort and that sells out quickly also.

The schedule of the event has been changed this year and we'll be posting it soon. The main change is the Poker Run will be on Friday. The number of boats on the water on Saturday has massively increased over the last few years, so by moving the run to Friday and having the Shootout on Saturday, specators can still see the boats run on Saturday, but on a closed safer course.

Thrusday - Street Party and Boat show - Down Town Lake Havasu City
Friday - Poker Run
Saturday - Shootout
Possibly even more events if we get Coast Guard approval!!!!

Jim

Last edited by jdnichols; 11-14-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Registered

I'm glad I made it last year as a vistor. I stayed at the Nautical Inn and got to enjoy the event without bringing a boat. It would have been tough for me to tow from NC. So I brought the family and we had a great time, I hate that you are discouraging that this year.
Attached Thumbnails Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?-dsci0674-large-.jpg   Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?-dsci0517-large-.jpg   Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?-dsci0535-large-.jpg  

Last edited by VelocityMark; 11-14-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Registered

Just booked two of the Beach Suites last Monday. They are nice, stayed in one just about a month ago. They are re-done with plasma's, full size refrigerators, and are right there on the main beach. We didn't really care for the rooms over by the cove.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VelocityMark
I'm glad I made it last year as a vistor. I stayed at the Nautical Inn and got to enjoy the event without bringing a boat. It would have been tough for me to tow from NC. So I brought the family and we had a great time, I hate that you are discouraging that this year.
Mark, I understand and appreciate the feedback, the problem is that so many of the participants with boats wanted to stay at the Natuical and beach their boat. They couldn't due to people who stayed but didn't want to participate. I block the entire hotel for participants for this reason.

I wish we had the factilities like Lake of the Ozarks or Florida, but we got what we got
Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VelocityMark

yeah.....but there are other close places for you and the family to stay where you don't need the beach! London Bridge Resort.....or the best deal......a condo for the week at QueensBay.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Wow, that blocks out a ton of OSO members. I must have met 1000 members last April. I am pretty sure most were not there with boats.

Glad I got to go when I did, even though I was on a boat.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Wow, that blocks out a ton of OSO members. I must have met 1000 members last April. I am pretty sure most were not there with boats.

Glad I got to go when I did, even though I was on a boat.

CashBar.....if you need a $100 for the room.....ask Steve to split it with ya !

Quick Reply: Desert Storm Poker Run-2008-Rooms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.