Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Scary day...always check your fluids!!! >

Scary day...always check your fluids!!!

Notices

Scary day...always check your fluids!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary day...always check your fluids!!!

Most of you probably do this however, I made an oversight yesterday that almost cost me.

My Sunsation is brand new and I just had 20 hour service done (this was my first weekend out since). As part of this service, they replace all fluids and charge all systems however, it seems one of my resevoirs was overlooked.

I went out Sat morn for speed run - there was a light chop and the lake was mine. I got her up to about 82, and she started chine walking worse than anything I have ever experienced. While this boat will do this ever so slightly if you overtrim (this is easily rectified) this was a almost a side to side thrashing. I immediately backed off the throttles and as soon as the torque let off, the boat instantly turned hard right. At this point, I was waiting for the spinout and to be thrown. Of course, I had on my lifeline and lanyards however, my heart was pounding and every thought was going thru my head.

Once I gained control, I immediately went to the dock and raised the hatch. Sure enough, my starboard side power steering resevoir was empty (my IMCO hydraulic steering runs from the pumps and resevoirs on my 496HO's). The sad part is that I had very little warning (if any) that I had an issue as it seemed to steer ok when idling out. Since I just had the service done, I immediately pulled the boat out as I will take it to the mechanic that did the service and have him review the system and tell me what the hell happened (I fear this particular resevoir was not filled back OR the system wasn't charged correctly under power) . When I pulled her out of the water, I could move the drives in both directions with my hands almost effortlessly - this is when reality sunk in.

I have a 4 yr old and my wife is 7 months pregnant and every time I think about what might have happened, I feel sick. I realize I was very lucky however, there is a moral to this story - CHECK YOUR FLUIDS EVERY TIME BEFORE YOU GO OUT! As I stated above, most of you probably do this however, for those of you that don't, I hope my story brings a sense of urgency to your boating habits. I know that I will never leave the dock again without looking under the hatch....

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 07-08-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That would have scared the hell out of me, glad everything turned out ok.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I do all the service on mine myself but if anybody else works on my boat i always check behind them. You just can't trust most mechanics working on your boat. Glad you didn't get hurt Shawn. You we're lucky Got your PM call me this week
Old 07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mark. Funny thing is, I talked to James earlier today about this and he made the same point. In fact, I agree with you 100% and I feel stupid for 'assuming' everything was tight.

Traditionally, I am not mechanically inclined however, I am going to change this....need to start learning and take control.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:44 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

James can verify I've learned alot in the last 2 years (although he probably won't admit it!!!) I lift the hatch the first start of the day EVERYDAY I'm out on the water.....just look around, start each engine, look around again. Takes a minute or 2 but I would have seen that empty resevoir.

Check it again so you don't throw all those burly guys out this weekend!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what happened exactly, only one drive turned when you turned the wheel? Im confused i guess..
Old 07-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Registered

Glad to hear you're alright Shawn.

I do all my own work as well. If not, my mechanic friend does it and I still check his work. To my benefit, I've never found fault with his work, but it's always nice to take a peak and make sure.

Steve
Old 07-08-2007, 10:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Ca$hed Out
Traditionally, I am not mechanically inclined however, I am going to change this....need to start learning and take control.
Alot of truth to the old saying if you want something done right do it yourself. Next time you need to change oil tow it over to my house and i'll help you with it. I just put new manifolds on my neighbors 502 in his Baja for him a few weeks ago and i only charged him 1 bottle of Grey Goose per manifold Oil changes are a case of Bud Light per motor
Old 07-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
Alot of truth to the old saying if you want something done right do it yourself. Next time you need to change oil tow it over to my house and i'll help you with it. I just put new manifolds on my neighbors 502 in his Baja for him a few weeks ago and i only charged him 1 bottle of Grey Goose per manifold Oil changes are a case of Bud Light per motor
Sweet! What'ya charge for raw water impellers?

Quick Reply: Scary day...always check your fluids!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.