Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need input on the possible scam for the... >

Need input on the possible scam for the...

Notices

Need input on the possible scam for the...

Old 07-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on the possible scam for the...

sale of my boat. I keep getting emails from this guy....and I tell him to call me. Which he has not as of yet. His name is Ronald Stobries and writes he is a Canadian citizen and his birth date..(sort of fishy). Just want to know if any of you in the forum have run across this name or person? I can post the email, but I really don't like long reading threads.

Thanks
JB
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 PM
RHC
Registered

Just delete his e-mail's ,,, if he will not call ya ,, he don't want to talk to ya .. Good luck bud ,,

RHC
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Registered

Lemme guess.......... he wants to buy it sight unseen, and send you a check, and have you 'refund' some of this money, since he is buying this boat for someone else, and they have already given him a check????????
Old 07-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fabricator
Lemme guess.......... he wants to buy it sight unseen, and send you a check, and have you 'refund' some of this money, since he is buying this boat for someone else, and they have already given him a check????????
NO...this one has a different twist...like Cubby Checker
OK..here is the email....

This what came from "boatraderonline":

DESCRIPTION: 38' PRICE REDUCED...Taking reasonable offers. Custom 16,000#
> Vanguard Trailer and other options ...
> YOUR MESSAGE: Hello:
>
> I am very much interested in buying this boat, please Kindly get back
> to me with your final price for some consideration, In receipt of your
> final price I will then ask you some questions concerning this boat.
>
> Ronald
> SENDER'S NAME: Ronald Stobries
> TELEPHONE: Buyer did not Provide

My Reply:
Ron,
Just wanted to get back to you to let you know that the ad is legit. And before I send any final price anywhere, I would rather talk to you in person.
The price is negotiable. The phone number is in the ad (412-825-3840). Did you go to my website I have made for more information on the boat? I am a private seller. And there are sources for financing.

Thanks
J B

And the his come back today:
Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply, right now I am in London on a
business trip and will be back two days before my son's wedding, I am very much interested in buying this Boat,
I want to use this boat as a surprise gift to my son who is getting married soon in Canada, but will require as a matter of urgency some additional information about the state of the interior/ exterior, actual hours on it, number of previous owner (if any). I also I want to know if it has been involved in any sort of accident and whether there is any lien on the title, did you recently have the boat surveyed and please let me know why you want to sell this boat.If your descriptions suites me, we shall make arrangement on how to wire the funds to you and other vital issues.
I am a very simple man and I demand you tell me the truth about this boatbecause as it is now, I do not think I will have that time to come to the states forinspection now, If you can assure me trust, we will do business. I lost money last
time I had a deal with an American, So I demand honesty (please I am not saying that you are not honest) However what ever you told me concerning the condition
of the boat will be examined by my agent on the day of pick up.
Furthermore, I wish to let you know little about me, my name is Ronald Stobries, a Canadian citizen, I was born on 07-13-1945.
After answering the question I asked you concerning this Boat, I want you also to tell me little about your self like I just did because its necessary since we may have a deal of this magnitude and also include your home address.
I wait to hear from you!
Ronald
PS: LET ME KNOW YOUR FINAL PRICE AT ONCE

WOW...it sure is getting deep....real deep
Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Most people born in 1945 are not big email fans and normally like the phone. Who buys sight unseen or without a survey? I will give credit he is asking intelligent questions that most scammers will not ask. I find it very hard to believe any one person is too busy or so rich they can not take the time to call you. If he is that rich he can buy a new one with a dealer locally. My gut tells me this is a scam. The red flags to me is the lack of a phone call, wire of the money and the trust issue. The more someone says trust me the more I run away. Do not let the boat leave your sight untill you have confirmed with your banker the money is in your account.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

waiting last minute to buy his son a boat as a wedding gift?? If he wants to call you, then great. If not I would pass.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by texaschopper
waiting last minute to buy his son a boat as a wedding gift?? If he wants to call you, then great. If not I would pass.
T C
I agree with you....talk - OK...no - talk, then walk
Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HE IS PHISHING FOR YOUR NAME ADDRESS AND BIRTH DATE. iTS A SCAM.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered

scam...... forget it and move on!! KS
Old 07-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Keown Ralph Scam Artist

I got rid of a scam artist a few days ago as well. His initial e-mail was nearly identical to the one you just posted, but he used the name Keown Ralph . He sent several e-mails about the final price for the boat and kept asking what my bottom number was. Once I told him, he sent me this e-mail.

Hello,

Thanks for your Sincere Corporation and understanding to this transaction. I am satisfied with the purchase and willing to make out Payment right away to you. Payment would be mailed to you via a USPS MAIL. I want you to understand that you will be receiving a check of $190,000, the excess is for my shipper that will be coming for pick up, the funds will be used for the shipping of the (1989 Apache 45} along side other goods i placed order for in care of my shipper once you receive the check get it cashed and deduct your money ($185,000) and an extra $100 for the stress of catching and running around and then proceed to a western union outlet and have my shipping Charges Paid to My delivery company. I hope i can trust you with my shipping company charges.

Please acknowledge this email I have sent you and await my Payment. I request you provide me with your details, for Payment to be Issued and mailed out to you
Needed Details:
Name in full: , Address: ,
City: , State: , Zip code: Phone#:

Thanks as I await your Payment Details.

Keown Ralph
1140 apt-e Cary ave.,
Durham,NC,27704.

Ok, yea. I'll do just that because I am as stupid as they come and can't see this coming! I had a pretty good idea that the guy was full of sh*t from the very first e-mail, but I wanted to play along to see what his scam was. After playing with him for a few days and finally receiving the e-mail above, I sent him the following e-mail in response:

Keown -

I need to know if this an accurate address to use on the bill of sale.

Keown Ralph
1140 apt-e Cary Ave. Apt E
Durham, NC 27704

I will need a current phone number for you as well so that my attorney can contact you directly to arrange the sale. The attorney will be handling the bill of sale and all other necessary paper work. The attorney will also act as a broker and title clerk for the deal. Your payment and the boat/title will be held in escrow by the attorney. When your payment check clears, the attorney will release the payment to me and will release the boat to you. After this has occurred, it will be your responsibility to arrange and pay for the shipping.

Again, please let me know if the address you gave in your e-mail is an accurate mailing address and please forward your telephone number so that my attorney can reach you and get the process started.

Thank You

It was fun dancing round and round with this guy, but all good things must come to an end. This last e-mail that I sent put an end to it as the guy has completely disappeared and has not returned any e-mails since then.

Quick Reply: Need input on the possible scam for the...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.