Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking to buy first boat.  What questions to ask the seller? >

Looking to buy first boat. What questions to ask the seller?

Notices

Looking to buy first boat. What questions to ask the seller?

Old 07-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy first boat. What questions to ask the seller?

Hello everyone, I'm looking to purchase my first boat. A mid 90's Fountain Fever 29. What questions should I ask the seller? I know to ask how many hours the engines have, but that's about it. What questions are relevant? Anything I should ask specific to this model? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered

How much.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are these the shifters or throttles on the left side????
Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered

Come on guys, I know I'm a complete PITA newbie, but please help me out. Is there a FAQ section that might have these answers? I looked, but didn't find one. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Registered

Remember, there are no stupid questions.........................only stupid people.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sigar
Come on guys, I know I'm a complete PITA newbie, but please help me out. Is there a FAQ section that might have these answers? I looked, but didn't find one. Thanks.
Put a thread in the Fountain section you should see a better response.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

what kind of motor(s), ask for maintenance records, get a survey, ask if it's ever been in saltwater, just the basics, really.

And expect him to lie, so go and verify everything yourself. Get a survey. If it's got an MPI motor, get the computer scanned to get the actual hours. Don't let the seller / broker suggest a surveyor or mechanic.

Get the serial numbers of the block, transom housing, and drive, and call mercruiser to find out what info they have on them. They will be able to tell you what year they are at minimum, and in many cases what boat / hull # they were originally installed on and when they were registered for warranty purposes (but if they weren't registered they won't know what boat they went on, usually). Don't assume the motor is original to the boat, or originally configured the way you see it. You could have a motor that was originally carbed, but now has MPI, or as in my case, vice versa.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:10 PM
RHC
Registered

What did you say the price is!!!

How much less will you take ,,, I have cash ,, how much less,,, I don't want a survey ,,, how much less!!!

Just kidding Bud ,, good luck with your purchase,,

RHC
Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rule #1: Get a survey. Then get the motors checked out by a qualified mechanic. At a minimum get a compression and leak-down test done. Ask about the service history: did he do his own maintenance or was it professionally maintained? Get all the records if he kept them (hopefully he has them). Any damage/repairs?

Go for a sea trial. Don't just listen to the motors run on the hose. Spend a good hour out there watching the temps and pressures. Play with everything, hit every switch, flip every light on and off. Make sure the drives maintain their trim so there's no leakage in the trim cylinders, etc., etc.

Bottom line, just be as thorough as you can.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Number of hours, maintenance history, optional or aftermarket equipment on boat, top speed and cruise speed, what props are on the boat, what kind of covers included (cockpit, full mooring, etc), trailer details (type of brakes, torsion bar or leaf spring, etc), condition of the exterior and interior, is the owner leaving any equipment in the boat (life vests, fenders, flares, etc). All Fountains come with a Performance Report from the factory, ask the seller if he has it and if so get him to fax it to you.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy first boat. What questions to ask the seller?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.