Georgian Bay noise law ??? >

Georgian Bay noise law ???

Notices

Georgian Bay noise law ???

Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Georgian Bay noise law ???

Ok guy i need info on how hard the OPP are on the noise law ?? ....cause in 2 week we planning to launch boat in Penetang region ( Beacon Bay ) ...and made trip to Kilarny on the east side of the bay ...and cross to Tobermory ....and going back to Penetang .... it`s going to be our fourth time there .... and with my outlaw i had muffler ...but with my new Sunsation ..i am straight pipe !!!!! ...

do you see some place where i could have some problem with our friend OPP ??? ....
and if yes how much cost the ticket $$$?? ... ...have some chance to be expelled
Thank`s to take time
Attached Thumbnails Georgian Bay noise law ???-p1110122.jpg  
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

You will be taking a chance and could get a ticket. Not likely on the open bay but close to populated areas. Tobermory is definately a problem as the OPP station is right across from the gas docks. Pentang is where the poker run will be based again next wekend and they are some tolerant there but have been known to write the odd ticket. They will write you up in Honey Harbour as well. No idea of the cost tho.
I threw my downturns away and ran with 6 straight pipes this weekend with no tickets in the Midland / Penetang/ Honey Harbour area. I have mufflers on order tho as it seems to be the right thing to do.
Good luck,
Bob
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original law would count the flappers on the end of wet pipes as sound abatement! the would cover you as quick fix . there is no decibel # your required to meet that I know of now. I was just there yesterday and there were some noise makers around.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OPP has been instructed to clamp down on boats with no mufflers this year. You will be taking your chances.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Registered

Default Ok thank`s

Ok thank`s guy ... i realy appreciate your input .....i will put back on my Zoomer this week-end ...just avoid trouble with OPP ...... cause we going to spend to much time in Ontario in the next coming time ....

Algonac Michigan week-end of 20-21-22 July Sunsation Rally
Georgian Bay 24 July to August first
1000 Island PR 10 -12 August ....

To much chance to have a OPP who doesn't like much a loud French Canadian in vacation !!
Attached Thumbnails Georgian Bay noise law ???-enfantencanotrattlesnakebay.jpg   Georgian Bay noise law ???-p1070077.jpg   Georgian Bay noise law ???-p1070142.jpg  

Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
You will be taking a chance and could get a ticket. Not likely on the open bay but close to populated areas. Tobermory is definately a problem as the OPP station is right across from the gas docks.
Our family has owned summer property on Manitoulin Island (just northwest of Georgian Bay) for 50 years and I have taken my boats up there annually without a problem- I know all of the OPP guys up there personally and their stance has always been one of tolerance. They appreciate the revenue brought into Little Current and Gore Bay marinas (they're all hurting with these fuel prices!), and as long as the perf boaters are courteous, they'll put up with some noise. There have even been a few runs into Gore Bay and Kagawong in the last few years by the performance crowd, and the red carpet was rolled out for them wherever they went.
I don't know of any specific DB laws in Ontario, but I CAN tell you that the complaints are coming mainly from the ever-increasing sailboat/eco-tourist crowd up in the North Channel-Georgian Bay area. Be careful not to annoy that group in open water or marina areas and you should be fine.
If you see a big car ferry at Tobermory, it's Manitoulin bound! Put it on your destination list!
Jim
Old 07-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Registered

The car ferry is pretty cool indeed.

We have a place on south Georgian Bay, and in all my 34 years, I have never, ever seen a police boat in the area - at all. There used to be one in Wasaga, but it's very rarely around anymore.

There was an article in the Midland free press about safe boating and the legal requirements, and no mention whatsoever of max sound levels.

Still, I'd suggest mufflers as a courtesy to others.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Registered

There is no DB limit. There is a "muffler law" in Canada.

"muffler" means an expansion chamber, within the exhaust line of the propulsion engine of a vessel, specifically designed to reduce engine noise but does not include a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, glass-pack muffler, by-pass or similar device.

Prohibitions

Engines

37. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate a power-driven vessel, and no person shall permit another person to operate such a vessel,

(a) unless it is equipped with a muffler that is in good working order and that is in operation at all times while the vessel is in use to prevent excessive or unusual noise; or

(b) if it is equipped with a muffler cut-out or by-pass, unless the muffler cut-out or by-pass is visibly disengaged in such a manner as to ensure that, while the vessel is in use, its exhaust gases are directed through the muffler or under water and that the muffler cut-out or by-pass cannot be engaged accidentally.

Straight from the Canada Shipping Act: Small Vessel Regulations.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered

Thank`s Airpacker for the info .....i will definitely put my Zoomer this week-end ...no chance to take with the OPP ...and i can`t imagine Bob the owner of South Bay Cove marina asking me " Can you make less noise ?? "
Regard`s
Attached Thumbnails Georgian Bay noise law ???-chenailentrepointeaubariletkillb-1.jpg   Georgian Bay noise law ???-poolbay-1.jpg   Georgian Bay noise law ???-p1070131-1-1-.jpg  

Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

25, on your transit from tobe to kilarney, stop off at club island. The most intense blue water I have ever seen in the bay.

Quick Reply: Georgian Bay noise law ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.