Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat pricing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/163422-boat-pricing.html)

Engine Co 454 07-13-2007 07:15 PM

Boat pricing

In the process of figuring the price of a boat, I searched NADA and came up with 22K average pricing. Is NADA typically accurate when it comes to a price? How much do you add for custom stereos, cosmetic additions and the like. How much does the market play into a price. I see very similiar boats(year make model) asking twice that amount.

Von Bongo 07-13-2007 09:55 PM

No..NADA isn't very reliable. Most dealers and banks use BUC value for boats.

Bad Ass Industrial 07-14-2007 10:25 AM

Nada doesnt work for performance boats due the fact that most have too many custom options that nada doesn't list The best thing to go off is look at the trends of boats selling and at what $. However be advised that the banks will often only loan 80% of the NADA value they are still thinking that NADA is the bible of boats

TexomaPowerboater 07-14-2007 12:23 PM

I think that nada is good for a general guide. Real sales typically swing $5K from what NADA says. I usually look at boats under $50K so the swing is a lot more for others.

Engine Co 454 07-15-2007 12:02 AM

Tex, I too look under 50. There is no way I am going that high however with a boat.

The seller is asking 31, so I would like to wind up at 27. Depending on where you look that is about 5-10k above the "book" price. As I was reminded NADA and BUC do not account for a trailer, so that has to be figured in.

TexomaPowerboater 07-15-2007 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Engine Co 496 (Post 2197915)
Tex, I too look under 50. There is no way I am going that high however with a boat.

The seller is asking 31, so I would like to wind up at 27. Depending on where you look that is about 5-10k above the "book" price. As I was reminded NADA and BUC do not account for a trailer, so that has to be figured in.

$27K is a good offer for a boat listed at $31K. For boats in the $40-50K range I have managed to pull as much as $10K off of the asking price. It also depends on what kind of boat and what the market is like. NADA doesn't know first hand and they don't get on OSO to research ride/build quality. If its a pantera nada will be about $5-10K less than what it will really sell for. Watch the boat - find out how long its been for sale. Somebody with a boat listed for a year is going to take a lower price than someone who just listed. Do all your research on engines/drives/boats. A more educated buyer will pick up on a sellers weaknesses and bringing that to their attention can SOMETIMES get a lower price.

DollaBill 07-15-2007 08:39 PM

The market doesnt look at options. Your 3K stereo is worth 500 buks a year later. I sued NADA in '99 and hey settled. It cost me 70K on a deal. I've used ABOS for years and I think they are good.

BTW.... NADA put me on the pricing board as a settlement :). I look at all the numbers before they go out...haha