Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thought I'd seen it all at the ramp... >

Thought I'd seen it all at the ramp...

Notices

Thought I'd seen it all at the ramp...

Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check ths one out. Not at launch ramp but pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p8AJ93Wh00
Old 08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Registered

THis one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWSVdIo9zJ8
Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered

I love the 1960 pontoons with the updated 1970 Evinrude hangin on it. Sittin in the middle of the ramp he decides to load the 14 member family with all the fixins. This must be the first time he tried to start it cause he has all his tools with him. Naturally it dont start. So off comes the cover and he proceeds to work on it...... for about 30 seconds until the owners of the other 10 boats on the ramp tell him to move his chit up the hill.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Speaks for itself...

Hey! Where do I get me some of them fancy cleats for my Stinger??
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered

And this past Sunday at the lake ramp was no different!!! I backed my trailer down the ramp and then jumped in my boat to load it, but could not because some other boater decided to load his boat on my trailer!!! Had to wait till he backed off after another boat told him I was the one that the traailer was for! I just had to laugh!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Registered

We saw a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. We put the boat in at Brower park and I noticed a nice Sonic beached in the bay sitting realy low in the back. I parked the motor home and a guys comes by and said he noticed it also. We walked to the Sonic and noticed it was now lower. I climbed onto the boat and the water was up to the front seats. I turned the bilge on and you could see bubbles come to the surface. A guy walked toward us and it happened to be his boat. He forgot the plugs. By the time they dragged it up onto shore the boat was up to the fairing and only the nose was sticking up. The guy felt sick.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kelly O
Saw first hand the in-gear stunt at the city launch in Sandusky Ohio yesterday morning. Saw the set-up, then watched in shock as the boat nose popped to side of trailer bunk and boat climbed launch, wedging between truck and dock after running over owner.
Crazy stunt that I would never recommend !
I have seen something similar, about the time the guy got it in gear and climbed over the bow, another boats wake picked up the stern and the boat turned and started to go off the side of the trailer, no major damage except a gouge in the hull.

Funny thing was that he was pissed at the boat that caused the wake.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Registered

saratoga race track is open for the summer here in upstate ny so it is quite crowded with a lot of people from all over----so we are out on saratoga lake this past sunday havin a blast on a beautiful sunny day----go to the dock to get out and as i pull the trailer around im waiting now behind three guys in a stingray I/O----they back in and the boat wont start------the line is piling up------they proceed to try for about a solid 3-4 minutes------they are now being stared at by everyone----they decide to pull up and out but stay kinda in the way of myself and others-----like 10 of us----so we load and im pulling up and hear a beeping noise and the stingray fires up-----drive up, on the trailer,no water-----so these guys smile at each other and rev it a few times---(DOH!!!!!)----and leave it running as they back it slowly down the ramp and back in the water---i was glad to be leaving.......
Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Registered

guess he is installing a new impeller this week!!! But some how them people who know no better get lucky!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Registered

Default One of my first times at the ramp..I can admit it. You will laugh!!

So I always wanted a Miami Vice Boat since I was a kid (I'm only 30 now I started out with a little 21 foot wannabe scarab here in Southern California and unlike all my friends that go to Havasu...I go to the Ocean. California people hate the saltwater but anyways....the 20+ mile jaunt to Catalina Island really called for a larger boat so after a few months I decided this is something I really want to keep doing I buy a 34' Scarab III from a guy that has alot more money than I do. He kept the boat in his slip in front of his house in Hunington Beach and kept the trailer at the marina. Its obvious the trailer wasn't important to him, really obvious. The coupler was all messed up, the safety cables were coming apart and full of rust, flat tires, brakes made all kinds of scraping noises, jack didnt work, etc. So I was lucky enough to inherit the spot at the marina since I really don't have a good tow vehicle. My Range Rover was great for towing it around the marina and launching, however neither the Range Rover or the trailer would make it beyond the marina. So its a public access ramp there as well and it's a holiday weekend and I have family and friends coming for a ride on the new boat. I arrive 30 minutes early to launch. Done it probably 15 times by myself with no troubles. Everyone stares because 1) this big boat is really nice, 2) my tralier is a POS and very noisy, 3) I am pulling a 34 foot scarab with a tiny old Range Rover..so the whole draws alot of attention. There are 3 ramps. 2 that everyone uses and 1 nobody uses because of logs and debris in the water. Oh did I mention I didn't think I needed the safety cables because I don't want a tetnus shot and I am only going about 50yds away.... So I started to line it up in ramp #2 with everyone else. It was busy and I figured I had gotten pretty good and fast at this so Ill squeeze in between a couple of these other people...and suddenly I thought you know...lets go over to this ****ty ramp #3 by myself where nobody else is...I really dont trust this trailer, so I pull forward to re-align for the different ramp and the trailer with the 34 foot 10k lb boat pops off of the hitch and takes off all by itself through the marina. I don't know how fast it was going but it looked like it was going about 50 mph....I watched with amazement thinking to myself "I have to do something" and then I realized "what the hell could I possibly do?" Nothing...I watched my boat that seemed to be going so fast, however it all seemed to transpire in slow mo....it started to turn about halfway down the ramp and I thought its gonna go sideways and roll over in the ramp, but it didnt it straightened itself back out and went right into the water, people were jumping out of the way....it was like something from a John Candy movie. I can't begin to tell you how embarassing it was. The boat stopped right where it should and the toungue of the trailer was sticking up out of the water, I backed down, tied up the boat to the dock, 2 guys came over and helped me throw the trailer back on and I was on my way....but talk about embarassing. It sucks to be new with boats....take it easy on the idiots at the ramp, we have all been there, some of us just had better luck then others. Oh by the way, I now understand that safety chains aren't just for the open road.
I can laugh now...thank god nobody got killed or hurt!

Quick Reply: Thought I'd seen it all at the ramp...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.