Notices

I Need To Vent!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An IAFF sticker might be more effective.

Originally Posted by BoatinBabe
I am going to market stickers for the back of boats that says " I support the Marine Patrols" maybe that will keep them away. Any takers???
Old 07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got a 28 Skater and I'm an old guy. I don't get stopped at all. But... I wear, and require me passengers to wear, a "real" life jacket (lifeline), have my kill switch hooked up, obey no wake and 5mph laws, don't drink and drive, and avoid as much other traffic as possible at all times. I go fast in the flats, away from other boats, and have all required safety equipment in a pair of waterproof satchels, aside from my Fire extinguishers which are conveniently mounted. I frequently wear a doorag and sunglasses so the marine police probably don't know my age, but the life jackets stand out, as does the behaviour.

Last weekend, I had a kid on a wave runner try desperately to get my attention. He was jumping cruiser wakes and running in and out of no wake and 5 mph zones on the State Boat Channel on Long Island. In short, he was acting like the typical nuisance wave runner owner. I ignored him and actually looked away from him as he zipped from the starboard to the port side of my boat, while I idled through a speed zone. After coming out of the speed zone and into clear water, I planed off and he tried running next to me weaving back and forth. I slowed to almost a stop and as he looped around to come back yet again (This guy obviously can't take a hint), I got on it hard. I discovered that 100 plus mph in a 1-2 foot mixed chop makes Wave runners disappear.
I finally looked back and a marine patrol boat had him pulled over......... as well they should. He probably has no idea why and will undoubtedly tell his friends how unfair the Bay Constables are because they ignored the guy in the big fancy Skater and "picked on" him.

Bottom line...Act like a grownup and you'll be treated like one. Act like a child, and be prepared to be spanked.

T2x
Old 07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I've got a 28 Skater and I'm an old guy. I don't get stopped at all. But... I wear, and require me passengers to wear, a "real" life jacket (lifeline), have my kill switch hooked up, obey no wake and 5mph laws, don't drink and drive, and avoid as much other traffic as possible at all times. I go fast in the flats, away from other boats, and have all required safety equipment in a pair of waterproof satchels, aside from my Fire extinguishers which are conveniently mounted. I frequently wear a doorag and sunglasses so the marine police probably don't know my age, but the life jackets stand out, as does the behaviour.

Last weekend, I had a kid on a wave runner try desperately to get my attention. He was jumping cruiser wakes and running in and out of no wake and 5 mph zones on the State Boat Channel on Long Island. In short, he was acting like the typical nuisance wave runner owner. I ignored him and actually looked away from him as he zipped from the starboard to the port side of my boat, while I idled through a speed zone. After coming out of the speed zone and into clear water, I planed off and he tried running next to me weaving back and forth. I slowed to almost a stop and as he looped around to come back yet again (This guy obviously can't take a hint), I got on it hard. I discovered that 100 plus mph in a 1-2 foot mixed chop makes Wave runners disappear.
I finally looked back and a marine patrol boat had him pulled over......... as well they should. He probably has no idea why and will undoubtedly tell his friends how unfair the Bay Constables are because they ignored the guy in the big fancy Skater and "picked on" him.

Bottom line...Act like a grownup and you'll be treated like one. Act like a child, and be prepared to be spanked.

T2x
I couldn't help but read the rest of you're post without using a Popeye voice in my mind after that one line

But, you're absolutely correct.
Mind the laws, and don't be an azzhat, and you should be fine.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

"Mind the laws, and don't be an azzhat, and you should be fine."

Wish it was that easy around lake st. clair. While I (knock on wood) have not been pulled over yet, it does seem like the patrol is just upset that they have to be working on a weekend and are bound and determined to wreck someone else's also. While I'm not worried about them, because I have everything I need and more, it's just annoying that they can't just leave us alone. A buddy of mine got a ticket for having red numbers on a white hull! They said they blended in and they couldn't see them from a distance. They were just bound and determined to ticket him for something. Two weeks ago a guy in a Scarab went running by a sandbar, with his exhaust off, it was not a speed zone or no wake zone and the sheriff just took off after him. What was he doing that the SeaRay's don't do all day long? I have no idea. It just really sucks that they have to idle around and make you nervous and basically ruin your day. Even with nothing to hide, they're just a nusence. My .02
Old 07-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RD, I can make the sticker say whatever you want .. as long as you are buying!! Maybe I will market a calendar too?!
Originally Posted by rdoactive
An IAFF sticker might be more effective.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nkissau - I used to run Maumee River, Erie, and the Detroit River. I never made it up to St. Clair.
They were always pretty cool were I was running.
I've heard alot about St. Claire, and I imagine if you're hanging out in the area's where all the problems are on the lake, you're going to get watched.
If you head to Cumberland and enter 76 falls (well - not this year) - expect to be watched.
If you hang out in areas a little tamer, and just enjoy your boating, they'll leave you alone.
Did you get into boating for a wild party? or because you enjoy the water?
And don't take this as any kind of hit, I'm just speaking from my experience, and I never got nervous around LEO's up in that area.
I don't know, it may have changed.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I couldn't help but read the rest of you're post without using a Popeye voice in my mind after that one line
"I yam whad I yam"
Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NKissau

Wish it was that easy around lake st. clair. While I (knock on wood) have not been pulled over yet, it does seem like the patrol is just upset that they have to be working on a weekend and are bound and determined to wreck someone else's also. While I'm not worried about them, because I have everything I need and more, it's just annoying that they can't just leave us alone. A buddy of mine got a ticket for having red numbers on a white hull! They said they blended in and they couldn't see them from a distance. They were just bound and determined to ticket him for something. Two weeks ago a guy in a Scarab went running by a sandbar, with his exhaust off, it was not a speed zone or no wake zone and the sheriff just took off after him. What was he doing that the SeaRay's don't do all day long? I have no idea. It just really sucks that they have to idle around and make you nervous and basically ruin your day. Even with nothing to hide, they're just a nusence. My .02
I work the waters in St.Clair county and am on Duty almost every Friday and Sunday during the weekend. I can assure you I do not "chase" after anyone for going accross a sandbar. While I was not the one who went after the scarab I will bet there is more to the story. As for the number I also would think there is more to that, try reading black number on a white hull at "a distance". You can't read them either. PM me if you have more info, If someone is indeed hasseling boater in St, CLair county I can have a discussion with them. We are a very hard working group and most of us have boats so this just doesn't add up to me. Please advise if it was Macomb or St. Clair county that did the above mentioned.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NKissau

If thats the case I would seriously consider complaints to the elected officials and chamber of commerce in the area and KEEP COMPLAINING!!.......you and your friends should call and tell them about your bad experience (with names) and that you may just take your boat and go spend your money in someone elses area......if its anything like around here boaters are a big source of revenue for the local economy and the mayor and the CofC especially does not want to hear that this source is being run off by overzealous water cops........I dont care what job your in, nobody needs constant complaints about their job performance.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add a little fuel to the fire, LOTO was horrible this 4th of July. The DNR was pulling people over left and right, even ones just idling along. Surely, all these people were not all breaking some law???

I asked a couple of the local business owner's how things were going. They both said business was off and attributed it to the local water patrol and their zealous interaction with the boaters. I know, I know, someone will say it's the gas prices. But, the locals are telling me otherwise.

I have been going to LOTO for 7-8 years now, usually 2-3 times a year. I am not going back now, except for possibly the Shootout. The other two trips, I am going to find another body of water and place to spend my dollars. It has just gotten ridiculous... my $.02

Quick Reply: I Need To Vent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.