Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any input/experience with these California cities? >

Any input/experience with these California cities?

Notices

Any input/experience with these California cities?

Old 07-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Move back to V.C., buy the cruiser and we will have a party boat to raft up to!

How far away from a major metro area can you be? Have you thought about the central coast? SLO, Pismo, Morro Bay, Grover Beach? I love that area up there.
Al,

Woodland hills is 10 degrees hotter than any other city in the valley

Regarding metro, my wife sort of demands close proximity, I don't, but she thinks I would be miserable without it.

Los Osos is near Pismo, but WAY lack of metro concerns me there. Also I get the impression Pismo life is a little less sophisticated then I want, could be wrong though, I plead ignorance.

Chris
Old 07-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered

I commute to downtown LA from HB 3 or 4 days a week. 40 miles door to door. Usually take 60 - 75 minutes. Best ever was 38 minutes (I'm sorry baby jesus, the devil made me do it) and worst ever was 2.25 hours (friday pre holiday weekend). Today traffic was horrible and it took me 75 minutes.

I have a buddy in C'bad, too. Great town. Seems like it's getting a bit more "country club" though. They bulldozed the drag strip a couple years ago!
Old 07-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Registered

Orange County Sucks.
(now go home and tell your friends)

What's your budget for a house ? . . . I live in Huntington Beach, I have an ocean view. I can walk to the marina or the boat ramp.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Dude! Sweet!;2201157]I commute to downtown LA from HB 3 or 4 days a week. 40 miles door to door. Usually take 60 - 75 minutes. Best ever was 38 minutes (I'm sorry baby jesus, the devil made me do it)

is that you ricky bobby?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:11 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Hey Chris,

You have some nice choices to choose from. My main question is...What's your budget? that would seem to be the main deal maker/breaker.

Let's say you have a million to 1.5 to spend on a house.

many of the places on your list puts you waaaay back from the beach/water. You can get a water front harbor home (boat on a hoist) in Channel Islands Harbor for the 1.5 range (and up).

If you want to be on the beach, you can be on the inboard side in an older house for the 1.5 range (and up). I don't think you'll be able to touch anything in O.C. or S.D. counties for those prices with this location setting.

New York Times just did a big spread on Channel Islands Harbor and the surrounding beaches (Holllywood Beach, Silver Strand Beach and Oxnard shores/mandalay Beach) on how it's the last "affordable" beach and or water (harbor) homes available in Southern California. the article goes on to say, that with the new construction of the houses in the harbor (punched out north end of the harbor) and all the renovation being done to the older parts of the harbor ($25 million being spent) that the area is the most bang for the buck and most likely to continue it's realestate boom. With two of the highest realestate markets in the nation sandwiching it in, Malibu 30 miles south and Santa Barbara 30 miles north, the area is set to be the next Newport/malibu according to the article.

We own on Hollywood beach. across the street from the beach and a view of the harbor thats 75 yards the other direction there's no other location like it in Ca. that doesnt demand rediculous prices for the homes.

My point to all of this, I think it's the best overall bang for the buck with the criteria you are searching for.

good luck with whatever you end up doing and keep us informed.

Hey Al....When are you moving out to the beach bro!?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Registered

I would add Seal Beach or Sunset Beach to your list of considerations. If I am not mistaken they feed into the Los Alamitos School District which is very well respected. Some Sunset Beach homes have their own docks as well.

I lived in San Diego for a summer in the 90's and found that it was overcast there far more often than in OC.

Good Luck1