Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Save the Manatee Club strikes again...  and Florida loses another mom and pop marina >

Save the Manatee Club strikes again... and Florida loses another mom and pop marina

Notices

Save the Manatee Club strikes again... and Florida loses another mom and pop marina

Old 02-12-2002, 05:02 PM
MikeStar

Thumbs down Save the Manatee Club strikes again... and Florida loses another mom and pop marina

Some of you may remember a while back when I posted the story of Whitley Marina. This was a family owned marina that had been damaged in a hurricane. The owners were trying to get federal funds to rebuild their damaged docks. Needless to say, the STM idiots did all they could to prevent these folks from making a living.

Here's the way it turned out:
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROO...oryA11382A.htm

All of you folks heading to Miami, do me a favor - run over a manatee. If you can't find one, a STM member would be a nice substitute.

Old 02-12-2002, 05:10 PM
supercrash

Ya mike..if killing a animal or human is a favor to you then your sick..
This story is BULL****
The lawsuit never objected to the rebuiling...It just opposed the expansion of the marina..That would increase traffic in the area..

Old 02-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sad day for the Whitley family and area boaters and patrons. However, the article seems contradictory. What really went down?

(1)The Save the Manatee Club challenged a state permit granted in August 2000 that would have allowed Whitley to rebuild parts of the marina damaged by Hurricane Irene in 1999, using $573,000 in federal emergency aid.

(2)"We were opposed to the expansion of the marina," Clinger said. "We never objected to the rebuilding, but we made it clear that we were going to oppose anything that would add to marina traffic there."

Were they rebuilding or expanding???

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Baja Daze ]
Old 02-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

STM PRICKS!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
STM club still sucks!
Old 02-12-2002, 05:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Mike,
I read that story last week in the local LIBERAL TREE-HUGGING newspaper and it is truly a shame!! The boat traffic point is a NON-issue because this Marina is located about 150-200 yards from the InterCoastal Waterway! The ICW sees so much boat traffic everyday, that this Marina expansion is nill compared to the boat traffic going from Miami to Boston!
I can't condone running over a Manatee, BUT the STM Club, card carrying, member; NO PROBLEM!! I'm going to warm up the Dually right now!
MD
Old 02-12-2002, 05:26 PM
supercrash

Dean..you sound like me..Won't kill a animal but can kill humans all day.

Old 02-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm gonna go out on a limb here.....and say DEAN sounds nothing like you....
Old 02-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
SC,
You better stop smoking so much of your DOPE, BECAUSE you are confused!
I'M NOTHING LIKE YOU!
That's why I don't usually respond to your illogical, liberal, I hate the USA rants, except here in self-defense.
You truly live in your own private little world, and by looking at all the responses you get here on OSO, it's pretty obvious, that you live there alone.
MD
Old 02-12-2002, 11:22 PM
MikeStar

If I remember correctly - it's been a while - they were going to rebuild the docks that were smashed and (maybe?) add a ramp so folks could launch right at the marina. The rebuilt docks would have increased the number of slips by maybe a dozen due to size differences in the actual slips. Been a while since I've looked at this; the bottom line was that the rebuilding plans were more along the lines of rearranging the marina, not adding 200 slips like the STM idiots would have you believe.

MD, glad to see you had already heard about this - I posted this mostly for you and the other Florida guys.

Quick Reply: Save the Manatee Club strikes again... and Florida loses another mom and pop marina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.