Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town!  WOW!!!!! >

Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town! WOW!!!!!

Notices

Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town! WOW!!!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
I keep hearing on these forums that the cats are always so much faster than the V's. At the risk of starting a long debate, how did this V beat the cats? Was it water conditions, crew skill, mechanical malfunctions?

Michael

The Cats started 4 minutes later on a 79 mile open ocean race.........kinda like a golf handicap. If it was a timed race.....why did they do two starts for 17 boats? ANY of the Cats could have caught them with the right conditions and if they had their game on......this is an "old school" race!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town!  WOW!!!!!-popra-2007-005s.jpg  

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 07-25-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:01 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cig started with all the little boats in the first start and the rest in the second start 3 min behind CRC, Amzoil, platinum, and Miss Geico. They let the slower/ inexperienced boats go so that everyone would finish about the same time.

CRC had the best time.

Everyone needs to get there boats up to Pittsburg to find out who is #1.

pat W
Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by shifter
The Cig started with all the little boats in the first start and the rest in the second start 3 min behind CRC, Amzoil, platinum, and Miss Geico. They let the slower/ inexperienced boats go so that everyone would finish about the same time.

CRC had the best time.

Everyone needs to get there boats up to Pittsburg to find out who is #1.

pat W

Pat

If it was going to be a timed race........V-8 didn't know about it nor anyone else. V-8 laid off the throttles on the way back from Avalon a good part of the way.....and they changed drivers TWICE during the race!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Here's How It Rolled!!!

We started the day in P1 class. The math was done (RPM's Prop Pitch & Gear ratio in some formula that I lost track of when Jerry the Tech guy was calculating.) that put us at 111 mph boat, which is about right for Tom's Cigarette.

At the start line I visually made sure we knew who was in our class and made a mental note. Tom and I figured the Cats would catch up to us somewhere between Avalon and on the way back to Long Beach, which was fine. We knew we could not compete with the cats in the ocean that day it was far too flat. We prayed to the rough water Gods but they weren't answered!

When the green flag dropped we went racing...Period!

Tom ran the boat out to the first check, Bird Rock at the Isthmus. Shannon kept a sharp eye out for the check and I was "Knocky" in the middle. My hats off to Tom because he ran that boat so awesome all the way to the rock. Hopefully this was conveyed on the big screen for a bit for everyone else.
We stayed at 100 mph the whole way with the exception of two rollers
(stealth wakes from the Catalina Flyer)

At the Rock we switched drivers and I ran the boat 95 to 100 all the way home. I started to back off the juice about 10 miles out of Long Beach to save the equipment but Tom could see the Cats and choppers coming and he motioned me to "get back on the gas".

Our plan was to switch drivers again on the way back in so Tom could bring his boat into the finish. After all it's his boat! With the Cats coming, Tom kept motioning to me to keep her on the pad!

We came in first and picked up the checkerd flag....the rest of the day was awesome and we waited for the awards. I talked with a few journalists and one in particular noted to me that the cats were just crusin! Apparently they did not know we were in front of them. They thought they had passed everyone.

While in the bathroom at the Yard-house I saw a crew member from one of the boats in the P1 class and I asked him "how did ya do?" He began to gloat how they took first in the P1 class and ran 110 all day. Never did he ask me how we did, (perhaps I need to get a crew shirt!) I laughed it off and figured at least the sh*t talking was appropriate in the bathroom!

As the awards finally wittled down to the end, they called the winners of the P1 class "Team Platinum" Tom, Shannon and I looked at each other kinda cross eyed not understanding what was happening. I figured "Well this is going to be interesting." I knew we came in the harbor first and in front of our class as well as everybody else. I thought, "we will be in the awards somewhere."

The annoucer grumbled "This next boat was "mis classed and they will have to move up next year" "First place in Ski Extreme goes to Tom Whitham & Kevin Schulte. Tom, Shannon and I walked up there as I wondered what the hell was "Ski Extreme?" Some more grumbling from another annoucer was heard behind me about being a sand-bagger!

The sand bagger comment pissed me off and I said in front of the crowd
as we were receiving our trophy's "Funny I started the day in P1 class"

I have raced a lot of hardware over the years and the "sandbagger" comment is a tough one, especially when we didn't do it.

At the hole shot we were "P1" and at the end of the evening we were "Ski Extreme", WHATEVER.

At first I was mad, but then I began to realize the best part of the day was to be in the boat with Tom & Shannon and come accross that finish line in first. It was so exciting that most of our boat club was there and they watched us just haul azz in a V-bottom. That awesome feeling is what I keep thinking about when I look at the trophy.

Next year I plan to spend a million bucks and win it for sure, water permitting!!!

Kevin

PS. My special thanks Tom & Shannon for including me in their crew.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Registered

Sweet wrap up Kev!!! Congrats again!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:12 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not know anything about how propra runs races. Dont care. I did not know it was a timmed race. I do not know why V-8 was started in the first group.

I do know if platinum and v-8 were together it would have made for a great race. Someone would have broke for sure.

So go to Pittsburg and then SanDiego and maybe Las Vegas.

I have a good feeling that there will be more competition.

It was great to see the huge smile on Toms face after the race. I did not know he was in the race until he told me.

Good job guys.

pat W
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, congrats... You guys did a good job. We know the real story and we know what happens when you're up against people spending a little more money than you. If you're not a part of the right "click" or "crowd" then this is the kind of stuff that happens. F the bastards that changed the classes. The main thing is, you guys had a lot of fun at the event with some great friends and that's what counts the most.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks for the nice writeup giving us the inside view. Class change or no class change, we all know who crossed the finish line first. Congratulations to everyone on your team.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 07-26-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,
I am here to help you spend that million!!!

I had no idea this all happened after the race. I was outside the Queens gate and watched you leave in front and then watched you come back in front. Next race pull the V-8 stickers off and put P-1 on
Old 07-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Registered

They probably saw you guys wearing flip flops and decided there's no way you could be in the P1 class - Congrats on the great run

Quick Reply: Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town! WOW!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.