Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
QUAD MIDNIGHT OPTI'S or EFI's >

QUAD MIDNIGHT OPTI'S or EFI's

Notices

QUAD MIDNIGHT OPTI'S or EFI's

Old 06-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default QUAD MIDNIGHT OPTI'S or EFI's

Just sold my 37 Midnight CC and bought a new 37 closed deck in Miami.

Want to put quads on and going back and forth on 225 optis or 225-250 efi's.

Opti's for fuel eco and efi's for performance. Seem to be around same price in used market.

Friend told me his buddy switched from EFI's to optis on his quad Midnight and lost 10 mph and of course gained better economy.

Yes thought about twin 300's or triples again but just want to have quads.

This boat is going to be much lighter than the old lay up.

Opinions............
Old 06-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How's About Quad 250xs Motor's They Run On Low Octane Gas. And Should Do The Trick.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ow Theres A 40ft Sutphen With That Motor Package And Is Said To Run 80 Mph
Old 06-24-2007, 06:18 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

My father has run bassboats for over 30 years and gets out fishing Sat and Sun approx 40 weekends a yr. He has spent some time considering these 2 options........
Optimax burns ALOT less fuel but doesn't seem to make as much power. It also burns over twice the 2 stroke oil that is mixed with the fuel (and that oil is very expensive per gallon compared to gasoline). Last he checked a 225 Optimax was about $2K more than the EFI model. Based on this info he claims there is no way he can justify the Optimax. The fuel savings is likely eaten up by the additional oil costs and that is based on his quite heavy usage. You'll be running 4 but the mathematics are still the same.

Good Luck, I'll pick his brain for more info if you need it. (he has alway run Merc's and currently has a 250 EFI on a 21 ft Champion)
Old 06-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
My father has run bassboats for over 30 years and gets out fishing Sat and Sun approx 40 weekends a yr. He has spent some time considering these 2 options........
Optimax burns ALOT less fuel but doesn't seem to make as much power. It also burns over twice the 2 stroke oil that is mixed with the fuel (and that oil is very expensive per gallon compared to gasoline). Last he checked a 225 Optimax was about $2K more than the EFI model. Based on this info he claims there is no way he can justify the Optimax. The fuel savings is likely eaten up by the additional oil costs and that is based on his quite heavy usage. You'll be running 4 but the mathematics are still the same.

Good Luck, I'll pick his brain for more info if you need it. (he has alway run Merc's and currently has a 250 EFI on a 21 ft Champion)
Ive got a 225optimax and it drinks oil. I spend $33 on one jug of oil.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since your going quads...what the heck just go with the EFI's. Problem solved, next question? haha I can't wait to see that bad boy of your's.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

efi's , their more dependable.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:22 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

And the Optimax's sound like those little Honda generators......EFI's have a little rumble!!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. OSO and the members has been awesome.

I was fortunate enough to find the last 37 Midnight that was popped from the mold with the last long deck (top deck mold was destroyed).

The last owner of Midnight still has it and he is hooking me up!!!!! It should be ready to hang O/Bs on in 3 weeks. I found a quad Midnight bracket and I am piecing the rest together.

Also stayed in South Beach when I bought the hull, which was AWESOME

Stay tuned for picts
Attached Thumbnails QUAD MIDNIGHT OPTI'S or EFI's-new-midnight-large-.jpg   QUAD MIDNIGHT OPTI'S or EFI's-biscayne-bay.jpg   QUAD MIDNIGHT OPTI'S or EFI's-biscayne-bay-2.jpg  

Old 06-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your oil needs go to Sams Club. Quicksilver gal. are around $15-00 ea. I run twin 250 EFI's & love em.

Quick Reply: QUAD MIDNIGHT OPTI'S or EFI's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.