Help with Illinois roadway tow limits - Winthrop Harbor Issue

Notices

Help with Illinois roadway tow limits - Winthrop Harbor Issue

Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with Illinois roadway tow limits - Winthrop Harbor Issue

I was wondering if someone knows the actual laws regarding tow limits/restrictions for Illinois roadways. We have an issue with the police department in Winthrop Harbor Illinois. There is a 2 block section of road that is the only way in and out of an Illinois State park that they have posted as 55' limit for combined vehicle and trailer length. The officer that patrols that area stops recreational boaters (non-commercial haulers) and measures length, weighs each trailer axle and each truck axle. Basically checking you out as an overweight commercial semi-truck.

I am trying to get some actual facts if this is valid for them to do this to private individual that is towing there own boat and it is not commercial for hire.

I called the Illinois State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Section phone number and spoke with a person that indicate the length/width restriction and oversize permits are for commercial or haul for hire individuals. A personal boat in tow by a non commercial vehicle does not have these limits applied. Is this true???

Can there be a town road leading to a state park that has only town requirements that allows the Winthrop Harbor police to place special restrictions/permits for this?

By the way, Winthrop Harbors permit is $40 round trip on that 2 block section. That Illinois state oversize permit is $13 for 90 miles, go figure.

Rick

Last edited by rv; 07-31-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the warning. I guess I'll put in at Waukegan and run up to Winthrop for the next fun run
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered

Rick;

I've heard this before about Winthrop Harbor. The harbor was originaly put there to help stimulate an economy that was in dire staits. What a way for a community to show their gratitude.....
Old 07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Registered

Rick did they just start this, I've never had an issue when I've come through there. But I don't want to start having one either. We may launch from Northpoint on Sat to run to Chicago so any info you can give me on what's going on would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:26 PM
VIP Member

Rick

This might answer your questions but I also think it may be ultimately up to whatever the local ordinance may be. Try calling the Village of Winthrop Harbor and have them send you the ordinance for the town.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
rv
Registered

We have not had any problems. However, I have heard of a few situations over the last couple years. I don't know if they are getting worse lately but I don't want to get a ticket.

I spoke with several State Police about being stopped and each one was wondering why I had any concern at all. They just don't seem to be interested in stopping a privately owned/towed boat. This seems to be limited to this specific road.

The commador of our yacht club is going to talk with the police chief today to get a better understanding of why/what is going with this requirement.

I was asking the OSO bud's just to see if there is anything that can be dug up to show that this requirement is not correct and they are trying to make something out of nothing.

Smitty, I think I saw something like that printed in one of the boat magazines. However, it is wrong for Illinois. That article indicated combine length of 60' it is actual 65'. Below is the Illinois State info from their site.
http://www.dot.state.il.us/road/size_weight_bklt.pdf

Rick

Last edited by rv; 07-31-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:03 PM
rv
Registered

Right after you get a realistic sized engine!
Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to find a 9ft long truck.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:35 PM
rv
Registered

Everyone, there is some hope! I just spoke with Scott (head of the Winthrop Harbor yacht club). He sat down with the Winthrop Harbor Chief of Police and they had a heart to heart talk. They are going to work on how to return the fine that was issued to one of the Fun Run particapants. The yacht club and Winthrop Harbor really enjoyed our event and do not want to have a dark cloud associated with the length/weight limit issue on the road to the marina. They are working together to turn around this requirement and ease up or remove the requirement all together to make that a more friendly experience to go to the marina (for none commercial hauling).

They would like to meet with the head of the NIOC and Chicago Powerboat club to discuss this further and try to reach an understanding that will work out for everyone involved.

Sounds like great start to solving this one, thanks to Scott for getting this started!

Rick

Last edited by rv; 08-01-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered

good work Rick, thanks.

Quick Reply: Help with Illinois roadway tow limits - Winthrop Harbor Issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.