Notices

When do the Water Cops get it right?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Dd24skater
Sydwayze,

Do you have a VA registration # on your boat?

Dd
Nope, I do not. We are not required to have VA numbers or a County Sticker if Federally Documented with the USCG/DHS.

That was their first question as they approached; as well as a comment of "we did not know if you were broke down or anything." If I was broke down, I would not have been idling out to the main channel; with both engines running.

My boat is not new the lake, nor am I. These Water Cops know me and my boat. "We've met" before at the Poker Runs and Club Events.

I also have the 2007 USCG Safety Sticker on the side of the boat too, but they had to check everything.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:56 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, end of my P & M post, but I still want to know:
"When do they get it right?"[/QUOTE]

After they stop me and I educate them on rule of law, where it derived from and how to apply the letter to the spirit. Sometimes I even have to show them my I.D. card.

My boat is not letter legal and it never will be. The reason is I know the difference from the administrative review and what would be considered mandatory compliance. For example; Why are documented boats required to display haling port and name on the transom? Why must you not display registration numbers if you are federally documented?

Remember at the end of the day this is pleasure boating.

BESafe….
Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
In Michigan switchable exhaust is also illegal.
Are you sure about that? I've never heard of that, and a LOT of people around here have switchable exhaust. I have captains call on my boat, and it is nice to have for idling up the river at night.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

Look at the bright side...Could you imagine how pissed you would have been if the switches were active, they gave you a ticket, and then the Jet Ski's drove by!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Registered

Man am I glad I live down SOUTH. They regulate the $hit out of you guys. Don't get me wrong we aren't free to regulate ourselves, but it is not near as strict. Down here Drinking is a prequisite for safe, good , fun recreational boating. As far as exhaust goes, how loud can you get.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Registered

Just noticed this, I have my boat Documented and never had an Indiana State Registration sticker. I was pulled over in New Buffalo, MI last year for not having one displayed. They informed me that even though I had the Documentation in order, I still was required to display a state registration. If they saw me without one again they would have fined me. I have a stciker now. (They assigned numbers too but I don't have to display the numbers)
Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Nope, I do not. We are not required to have VA numbers or a County Sticker if Federally Documented with the USCG/DHS.

That was their first question as they approached; as well as a comment of "we did not know if you were broke down or anything." If I was broke down, I would not have been idling out to the main channel; with both engines running.

My boat is not new the lake, nor am I. These Water Cops know me and my boat. "We've met" before at the Poker Runs and Club Events.

I also have the 2007 USCG Safety Sticker on the side of the boat too, but they had to check everything.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always nice 2 B complimented on your fenders!!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet Dream
Man am I glad I live down SOUTH. They regulate the $hit out of you guys. Don't get me wrong we aren't free to regulate ourselves, but it is not near as strict. Down here Drinking is a prequisite for safe, good , fun recreational boating. As far as exhaust goes, how loud can you get.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Always nice 2 B complimented on your fenders!!!!!
I was wondering when someone would pick up on that

I too thought it was one of the dumbest things to be complimented on.

I did get a gift that weekend. A friend of a friend had a brand new 11" x 30" fender float right up to his dock this weekend. It still had the tag on it. That's an $85 fender.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've only ever been hassled a couple of a couple of times. First time was at LOTO with a new boat and no numbers so I got pulled over every 5 minutes it seemed like. Got good at going through the safety drill. Other time was on the Illinois River in the middle of Peoria Lake. I deserved to be boarded that day as I was taking a leak off the back of the boat at 5 PM in the afternoon. Thought no one was in the vicinity. They were cool about it though and did a quick safety check and told me to be more discrete in the future.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 08-01-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: When do the Water Cops get it right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.