When do the Water Cops get it right? >

When do the Water Cops get it right?

Notices

When do the Water Cops get it right?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
I really didn't give a flying F iretrUCK what his interpretation of the law was.
Firetruck - I found that funny
Old 08-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Always nice 2 B complimented on your fenders!!!!!
Those must be some awesome yokohama's or the water cops are easily impressed.

How bout a pic of the in-famous fenders.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SHHHHH. Don't broadcast the fender deal too much. Next thing you know they'll have some kind of weights, standards and sizes restriction and they will have to be all white or all orange. You'll be fined $1000 for every fender that matches your boat.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
In Michigan switchable exhaust is also illegal. I was stopped a few weeks ago and after I had all the documentation, pdfs, etc they wrote me a ticket for not having "block" registration letters.

As he was leaving he asked if I had switchable exhaust. I figured he was looking to give me another ticket. I told him I didn't. He looks right at me and says "Well you might want to think about getting it so you don't disturb people with homes on the lake"!!! WTF?
Where in Michigan did this happen---just so I can avoid it.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Donman,
Love PK, I haven't been there since 91', and I sure do miss it.

Dean
It is a great place, huh ?

If you should decide to visit sometime, let me know.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 PM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

Mr. Schuble and I had fun with a Maryland State Pohleece water cop a few weeks ago. He left our boat with a new appreciation of Florida's "30 day to get title" rule. As I frantically was looking up Maryland's vessel registration law on Westlaw using my Treo, Steve started citing chapter and verse on Florida registration laws. It bothered the crap out of him that Steve not only knew the law backwards and forwards, but he had every single item necessary to pass muster, including kids life preservers for my three little phkers who were out on the boat too. He wrote a warning about the failure to display letters as a face saving measure. Everyone, including him, knew that he got schooled.

But do not discriminate against cops on dry land either. I got pulled over in June and was asked the loaded question, "Do you know the speed limit here?" My answer, "Yes, it's 50." He then asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?" My response, "51?" Ask a stupid question, you'll get a stupid answer. I look forward to seeing him in court later this month.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher
Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary864
In Michigan switchable exhaust is legal but in many states they are not. You will be tested with the exhaust open in thoughs states

No its not it is illeagle in Michigan

Maybe not always inforced but cut outs are not allowed
Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatme

illeagle... do you mean it's not legal, or not illegal?

Regardless:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(k3a...hlight=exhaust

Originally Posted by Section 324.80156

324.80156 Motorboat; muffler or underwater exhaust system required; maximum sound levels; test and maximum decibel levels; new motorboat to comply with prescribed sound levels; exceptions; “dB(A)” defined; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 80156.

(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person shall not operate a motorboat on the waters of this state unless the motorboat is equipped and maintained with an effective muffler or underwater exhaust system that does not produce sound levels in excess of 90 dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005 or a sound level in excess of 75 dB(A) when subjected to a shoreline sound level measurement procedure as described by SAE J1970. The operator of a motorboat shall present the motorboat for a sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005 upon the request of a peace officer. If a motorboat is equipped with more than 1 motor or engine, the test shall be performed with all motors or engines operating. To determine whether a person is violating this subsection, a peace officer may measure sound levels pursuant to procedures prescribed in SAE J1970, issued 1991-92.

(2) The department may by rule establish a motorboat sound level test and set a maximum decibel level or levels permitted for motorboat operation that replace the tests and maximum decibel levels permitted under subsection (1). If a test and maximum decibel level or levels are established pursuant to this subsection, all of the following apply:

(a) A person shall not operate a motorboat on the waters of this state if the motorboat produces sound levels that exceed the maximum decibel level or levels established under this subsection.

(b) The operator of a motorboat shall present the motorboat for the sound level test established pursuant to this subsection upon the request of a peace officer.

(c) A motorboat equipped with more than 1 motor or engine shall be tested with all motors or engines operating.

(3) A person shall not manufacture, sell, or offer for sale a motorboat for use on the waters of this state unless that motorboat is equipped and maintained with an effective muffler or underwater exhaust system that complies with the applicable sound levels permitted under subsection (1) or (2).

(4) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to any of the following:

(a) A motorboat tuning up or testing for or participating in official trials for speed records or a sanctioned race conducted pursuant to a permit issued by an appropriate unit of government.

(b) A motorboat being operated by a boat or marine engine manufacturer for the purpose of testing or development.

(c) A motorboat that qualifies as an historic vessel.

(5) As used in this section, “dB(A)” means decibels on the “A” scale on a sound meter having characteristics of a general purpose sound meter as defined by American national standards institute S1.4-1983.

(6) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days and a fine of not less than $100.00 or more than $500.00. Additionally, before putting the motorboat back in use, a person who violates this section is required to install an effective muffler or underwater exhaust system that meets the requirements of this section on the motorboat in violation at his or her expense.

History: Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 274, Imd. Eff. June 17, 1996
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: Marine Safety Act
Popular Name: NREPA
No mention of switchable exhaust or cutouts. No other laws relating to boats popped up under a search of "exhaust" on michiganlegislature.org except for one in a provision about harvesting mussels that simply says the boat must have a quiet exhaust.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet Dream
Belive me I make sure I cover by bum on issues like that. What could be seen a illegal discharge could also be seen a selfdefense or protection of private property. As long as the discharger is not actualy shooting at that particular person the discharge will then be merited as using the flare for what it was used for. Getting Attention for help in this case the River Cops. If it freaks out a few dissrespectful PWCs then thats a perk. I understand where you are coming from. You can't just go out there shooting a flare at people. But when you have a pretty good sized investment in the water you are entitaled to some countermeasures. Regardless you are taking a risk with your money or your time either way. Lets say that for certain reasons some things are sometimes not noticed.

I have no idea who you are, but welcome to OSO!! You are my new hero!!! Let me know if you are going to stick around and I'll buy you a membership so you can check out and post on all of the other parts of the website.

Craig
Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatme

Cut outs are legal in Michigan and has been for about 3 years.

Quick Reply: When do the Water Cops get it right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.