Notices

Alfa Drive Impeller

Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa Drive Impeller

I have a friend who smoked his, I know it is in the lower but does anyone have an easy way to do this or can you direct me to an instruction manual or list? I have done many Bravos but not the Alfa. I am assuming you drop the lower to do this. It is in a 1990 Baja with a 350. The impeller we bought was for an Alfa I but there was also a Gen II impeller. He knows nothing about his boat and I have helped him many times, it is over heating and when I pulled the T Stat there was no water in the intake or the TStat area at all, we started it open and no water came thru. It may be the water pump but we are starting cheap and moving forward. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey mitch.. Yes pull the lower off, and the water pump housing is right there, remove housing and install new impeller, just make sure all of the old impeller is not plugging any of the inlets, hoses, coolers. on a 1990 it should be the normal alpha drive, gen 2 didn't start yet I don't think.

And its not ALFA rubba boat boy.. its ALPHA

would he be interested in a fresh alpha SS drive?

1 nut up front on the lower unit
2 nuts, 1 on each side about 1/3 way back
2 nuts, 1 on each side about 2/3 way back
remove anode above prop
remove allen head bolt thats in the cavity above it.

Its does have a gear lube passage between upper/lower sealed with a o-ring. Make sure o ring is there when assembling.

lata

travis
Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Registered

Thanks Travis. I have torn apart a Bravo but I never owned an Alpha. He has no clue so we will bring it to my place where I have all the tools...he couldn't even find an adjustable end wrench So I fidured to just drop it and see whats up. He broke off a skeg and thought he had to replace the lower....a boat mechanics lottery, even better than a chick So we should be able to figure it out but I appreciate the list, it is always the hidden bolt that is the reason the thing is still hung up and that a pry bar or hammer will not only break it free but will break it.... I read it again....so I can expect fluid, I forgot about that....thanks.

Last edited by MitchStellin; 08-03-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Registered

there might be a little valve to cut off fluid flow when you split it, but i don't remember.

we did the water pump on my buddy's rinker last year. It was pretty easy, except his was pretty fried. Needed the whole impeller housing and everything, even the nipple that the tube goes into up top was melted.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Registered

Easy job. If its that old , I'd replace the housing too , they get pretty gouged yp after a few seasons. You can get an assembly drawing off mercruiser dot com if you have a serial #. punch it in the parts express fields and you will get all the parts list and drawing.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mountainmadness
Hey mitch.. Yes pull the lower off, and the water pump housing is right there, remove housing and install new impeller, just make sure all of the old impeller is not plugging any of the inlets, hoses, coolers. on a 1990 it should be the normal alpha drive, gen 2 didn't start yet I don't think.

And its not ALFA rubba boat boy.. its ALPHA

would he be interested in a fresh alpha SS drive?

1 nut up front on the lower unit
2 nuts, 1 on each side about 1/3 way back
2 nuts, 1 on each side about 2/3 way back
remove anode above prop
remove allen head bolt thats in the cavity above it.

Its does have a gear lube passage between upper/lower sealed with a o-ring. Make sure o ring is there when assembling.

lata

travis
I might. PM me
Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Drain the fluid first, and replace it at the end. it's easier.

1)Put the drive in FORWARD before taking anything apart. (assuming a standard rotation, counter rotation needs to be in reverse)

2) start by removing the zinc and the prop, the prop probably doubles the weight of the lower.
3)There is an allen nut upside down in the zinc area, get that next.
4) there is a bolt on the rear (rear = towards transom) as well, center of the back. get that second.
5) loosen the last 4 bolts (two underneath with a socket, and two on the sides with a wrench)
6)the two on the sides will break the drive free by backing them all the way out (the bolts hit the upper and will pop it all free). so, break the bottom free from the top by getting at them first...

7) remove the all the bolts and then the lower will slide off.

8) the pump is pretty self explainatory... change what you need to out.

Putting the drive back on:

1)Make sure the lower is still in FORWARD! the little shaft at the rear is what does the shifting... the prop will have friction backwards, so if you slide the prop on and spin it in reverse and the upper shaft spins you are in forward. (i think the gear shift has to be spun clockwise all the way)

2) make sure the center shift rod is in the proper position, there is a forwards and backwards to it, you'll have to look in from the back to see it.

3)slide the drive up into place. you'll have to spin the prop in reverse to get it to slide into the upper... if you spin the prop forward too far, it will pop out of gear, and you'll have to start over.

steps 4-10) re-install the lower over and over because you screwed something up over and over.

11) tighten it all up, replace gear lube, and you are good to go.