Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Boat runs over diver

Anybody hear about this?

http://www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s070809b.html

Speed boat runs over, kills diver at Gingerbread Grounds
Powered by CDNN - CYBER DIVER News Network
by STEPHEN GAY
BIMINI, Bahamas (9 August 2007) -- An early afternoon boating accident in the northern Bahamas on Wednesday left one diver dead.

Police said that around noon, Andrea Moscetti, 44, of Coral Gables, Florida, was piloting a 35-foot white and red intrepid go-fast boat, accompanied by his family, en route to Great Harbour Cay in the Berry Islands where he is a part time resident.

Police said Mr. Moscetti reported that halfway between Bimini and Great Harbour Cay, in an area known as the 'Gingerbread Grounds', his vessel struck an object in the water, which turned out to be a small boat.

Mr. Moscetti reportedly said he immediately slowed down and turned around then saw a diver climbing into the small boat who informed him that his vessel had struck and severely injured another diver who was in the water.

According to police reports, a distress call was sent out and a number of boats that were fishing in the area responded to the scene.

A United States Coast Guard helicopter also responded to the scene and airlifted the injured diver, who was later identified as Brad Pinder, 53, of Spanish Wells, Eleuthera, to New Providence, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival at the Princess Margaret Hospital, police said.

Both vessels sustained damage as a result of the collision, according to police.

Officers from the Central Detective Unit in New Providence and Great Harbour Cay are presently conducting an investigation into this marine collision, police said.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrea Moscetti = Mr. Magoo. How the hell do you not see a small boat.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

That's what I was thinking - especially at noon...
Old 09-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

That report is not very clear. It says the driver admits to hitting an object and the report assumes the object was the other boat. As the story is, he would of had to hit the boat and the diver. I doubt he hit a parked boat, he may have just hit the diver as he was driving buy a parked boat. At speed I don't think any of us could see a diver submerged 1ft under water. Not enough facts to speculate.

The report also has no mention of damage sustained to either boats.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tragic situation. Does it say anywhere if the diver was using a flag?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
That report is not very clear. It says the driver admits to hitting an object and the report assumes the object was the other boat. As the story is, he would of had to hit the boat and the diver. I doubt he hit a parked boat, he may have just hit the diver as he was driving buy a parked boat. At speed I don't think any of us could see a diver submerged 1ft under water. Not enough facts to speculate.

I agree 100%
Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Both vessels sustained damage as a result of the collision, according to police.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pinder is a VERY well known name in the Bahamas...

Since when is an Intrepid a "Go Fast"?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was curious about the flag, what boat was struck. just not enough facts in the article. This incident is really stirring the pot with some of the scuba community.

I am a diver also and never dive without a flag. I just cant imagine not seeing a dive flag in the air.

An intrepid really does not seem to be a go fast boat, but they are pretty fast for fishing/cruising vessels. I think they top out in the fiftys for that model.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:19 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

there is a LOT of ocean between Bimini and Great Harbour.... as in miles and miles of water with no land in sight... something about the story isn't correct for someone to be diving 30 miles or so from land sight, in the middle of the tongue of the Bahama bank... or the Intrepid was on autopilot with a sleepy captain...

Quick Reply: Boat runs over diver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.