Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1989 Switzer SS240 w BBC Bravo Price? >

1989 Switzer SS240 w BBC Bravo Price?

Notices

1989 Switzer SS240 w BBC Bravo Price?

Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Switzer SS240 w BBC Bravo Price?

A local dealer has one, on a trailer, and wants around $8k for it. Drop down bolsters, TRES marine on the flame arrester. Anyone have any knowledge of the boats in general, or this boat? It's in Syracuse, NY
Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Registered

they were fast and handled well . Who has it? Check it out real good most of them are very rotten by now. I have seen a bunch of'em in Syr that were beat .
Old 08-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal, but could be some rot. If you really want a good 24ft boat I would get a 24 pantera, superboat, carrera, cigarette, bannana, skater, donzi, python. Hell there is even a 24 saber for sale right now. You want to drive something you can be proud of and thats will be worth putting money to in when it comes time to resale. There are a couple of panteras that can be had for close to that price. They still make them and you can update them very easily. Resale is really tough on the switzers. I had a 24 python which was a good boat and a lot better looking than the switzer IMO.

Don't overlook a good 20 superboat or 18, 22 donzi. Maybe a little bit smaller, but I gaurantee you will get more looks and run better in the rough than that switzer
Old 08-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Registered

Congel has it, I can get it whosale for apprx $7k. It's white with Black and yellow wrapping around the rear of the boat.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are good solid boats.. and will run circles around a 22 donzi in rough water !
Not to mention they were building boats long before DA ever thought up Donzi Marine.

Last edited by Pantera1; 08-04-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres some Switzer history
http://members.cox.net/jbowman3/switzerhstry.html
Old 08-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ApolloMaxim
Congel has it, I can get it whosale for apprx $7k. It's white with Black and yellow wrapping around the rear of the boat.
I would go talk to Scott or Matt @ Fast Foward Fiberglass repair in Berwerton they have worked on most of them around here. Or better yet go see Chris Martian @ boathouse he usually knows those boats and there history. **** C doesn't give anything away without good reason
Old 08-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Switzer Information

While the boat that you are talking about carries the Switzer name, it was built by a guy named Danny Coons whose family purchased the company from Bob & Dave in the early to mid '80s. I had several Switzers back in the day including a 15', 2 17'SSs, a 21GL, and two 21 Cuddies. All of the boats smaller than 21' were built under the supervision of Bob and the others were built by Danny.

I looked at and test drove the first 24' right after it was built. It was a slug compared to its competition and I remember the build quality being weak. I ended up buying another make of boat but Danny tried to sell me a new 24' over the next couple of years. The boat was never really designed to
perform offshore as much as it was designed to look like it could perform offshore.

I agree with the post above. You might be better off in the long run to look for a Pantera, Carrera or something along those lines. Esspecially with a Pantera, they are still in business, their boats are really strong, you can still buy parts and in the long run when you go to sell it, the name recognition and much better quality will sell itself.

I did have a ton of fun with the Switzers though!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Registered

Like I said ck with the guys I pointed to earlier they know about evey one of those boats in the area. And Congel won't sell anything cheap without good reason
Old 08-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Registered

Though it is true about the rot in the Switzers, they are are a great project boat and the rot is usually confined to the transom and possibly the floor panel. I rebuilt a 17ss in 96', put a 200merc, 1986 model and ran 80+....although the 17'6" hull is not made for that speed; and once I got the guts to drive it through the chine-walk(60-70), it rode very solid; especially in the 1-2' chop of the St. Lawrence. I still have the boat and have started to restore it again. I had someone who was incompetent do the transom work and it needs to be done right....plus the 200hp can do a number on that small transom. The boat was designed for the 115 'tower of power' motor of those days.
As for the 24, I have seen a few good 21's, but I agree, the 24 is not the same quality as the smaller boats.....test ride on a windy day on the river....that will tell you alot!
Good Luck!, either way.

Quick Reply: 1989 Switzer SS240 w BBC Bravo Price?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.