Legal Advice--Collecting on Judgement? >

Legal Advice--Collecting on Judgement?

Notices

Legal Advice--Collecting on Judgement?

Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile A funny story...........

First, a comment. I have had several judgements entered against people and have never collected on one. If you have to sue someone to get what you're owed is a strong indication that the person hasn't got the moral or ethical values to EVER pay. There are other ways to get "satisfaction" but nothing that can be discussed here.

The story

My 18-year old daughter Stacey went with her friend and the girls mother to buy a used car. When they got there it became obvious that the mother/daughter were $350 short to make the purchase. The dausghter asked Stacey if she could "lend" her the $350. Stacey himmed and hawed at the deal until the mother promised her that if she would lend the the $350, she (the mother) would repay her by the end of the week (a matter of 3 or 4 days). That never happened.

After a couple of weeks of waiting, Stacey called the girl and asked her that since they were going out that night, could she bring the money with her. The gir did bring a check for $200 but Stacey left it in the car when she got dropped off. The next day Stacey called the girl and told her that she needed to come by and get the check. The girl said that she and her mother decided that since Stacey had "refused payment" they no longer owed her the $350.

After a couple of more months of aurguing on "my-space" I got wind of what was going on and proptly called the mother and demanded the money. She promised she would put the check in the mail the next day. A month later, Stacey and I went down to the courthouse and filed a small claims suit.

Heres the interesting part!

Since filing the suit, Stacey has been approached by "The Judge Joe Brown" show and asked to let the "judge" arbitrate the case. They will fly her and myself, plus the other to knuckleheads to LA for 2 days, and if she wins, she is guaranteed a minimum of $500 plus all filing costs! She'll win because the girl and her mother both admit the debt many times on the my space dialog. I'm trying to make Stacey understand that this is the only way she'll ever see her money but she is hesitant. I would have loved to have an opportunity like that in any of the cases I have ever filed and won.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a judgment collection business call me

www.wardinvestigations.com
Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a judgement against somebody. I found that they had a vehicle that was free and clear of liens. I presented the judgement to the local sheriff's department and filed the appropriate paperwork. The sheriff's department confiscated the vehicle and took it to sheriff's auction. The sheriff took his fees and the balance came to me.

The sheriff made out way better than me but at least I got some cash and a lot of satisfaction.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave1972
phknlwyr,

thanks for the response...I was wondering if I'd be lucky enough to have you see this post!

How about Wisconsin versus Missouri and how to "transfer" the judgement to Missouri?

Who should I contact? I just contacted the Consumer protection division for the MO Attorney Generals office and they said they could give me information about complaints but could not help with anything else.

You'll need to get what's commonly called a "triple seal" copy of the judgment from the WI court and enroll it in the appropriate court in Mizzou. The triple seal is a certified copy of the order entering the judgment. You would then take that document to the jurisdiction (county) where the debtor is located to attempt enforcement of the judgment.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher