how many people can I carry? >

how many people can I carry?

Notices

how many people can I carry?

Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
That .36 person could be a little messy though.
Nah, thats like havin masher aboard.. jsut gotta clean up all his drool and keep him from writin on the cabin walls..
Old 08-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Depend if there mexicans ??
38 Mexis to be exact. BTW, when you close the hatch with the 10, make sure you give them a hose for air. Found out the hard way!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marineclean
38 Mexis to be exact. BTW, when you close the hatch with the 10, make sure you give them a hose for air. Found out the hard way!

AIR???? Jesus, they really ARE needy huh..
Old 08-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Chicks? Fit as many as you can...

Boat builders must comply with Federal law by putting a Capacity Plate in sight of the helm (steering area) on motorized boats less than 20 feet in length. This plate displays three important items: the maximum weight of persons on board in pounds, the maximum carrying weight of the vessel in pounds and the maximum horsepower recommended for the boat.

After that it is as many people as you have life vest for. Common formula is length of boat times beam divided by 15.
Your on a roll man.............

Per your calculation I could fit 12.8 people on my family's 24 sundeck. Its rated for 12 people and I've pulled up a slolom skier with 12 on board. But I could not put 11 people (7ft beam) in my 24 python. I put in 6 and it was a handful.

I think we should modify this calculation to divide the total by 1/2 for go-fast boats. If you think about it.........a go fast boat is about 1/2 of what these cruisers and yachts are. So for a 32 sunsation it be 9 people, which sounds safe enough - just don't very fast.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Nah, thats like havin masher aboard.. jsut gotta clean up all his drool and keep him from writin on the cabin walls..
He would fit in with all the other guys on your banana, i mean boat.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 AM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

very true waterboy
Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think my 272 is rated for 8 people. There is NFW I would ever have that many unless I was saving a drowning boat.
Hey Strip, I know what you mean about sleeping 5....
Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I thought passenger capacity plates were only required on outboard boats. Baja does include them on their boats however. Probably because they got sued over something at one time.

At some point, as you keep packing people in/on the boat, you are going to run out of room with equal number of PFDs for each person. At that point, you are at capacity. Stop loading.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Chicks? Fit as many as you can...

Boat builders must comply with Federal law by putting a Capacity Plate in sight of the helm (steering area) on motorized boats less than 20 feet in length. This plate displays three important items: the maximum weight of persons on board in pounds, the maximum carrying weight of the vessel in pounds and the maximum horsepower recommended for the boat.

After that it is as many people as you have life vest for. Common formula is length of boat times beam divided by 15.

Doesn't make it legal. If DNR feels you're overloaded, you'll be getting a ticket.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For what it's worth:

The Coast Guard Capacity Information label is required only on monohull boats less than 20' in length. The label is not required on multi-hull boats, pontoon boats (catamarans), or on any sailboats, canoes, kayaks, or inflatable boats, regardless of length.

a) The maximum weight capacity (W) marked on a boat that has one or more inboard or inboard-outdrive units for propulsion must not exceed the greater value of W obtained from either of the following formulas:
W = (maximum displacement / 5) – (boat weight / 5)

(b) For the purposes of paragraph (a) of this section:

(1) Maximum displacement is the weight of the volume of water displaced by the boat at its maximum level immersion in calm water without water coming aboard. For the purpose of this paragraph, a boat is level when it is transversely level and when either of the two following conditions are met:

(i) The forward point where the sheer intersects the vertical centerline plane and the aft point where the sheer intersects the upper boundary of the transom (stern) are equidistant above the water surface or are equidistant below the water surface.

(ii) The most forward point of the boat is level with or above the lowest point of water ingress.

(2) Boat weight is the combination of:

(i) Hull weight;

(ii) Deck and superstructure weight;

(iii) Weight of permanent appurtenances; and

(iv) Weight of full permanent fuel tanks.