Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Florida Engineering jobs? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/165625-florida-engineering-jobs.html)

AIC 08-08-2007 09:45 AM

Florida Engineering jobs?

I know this is a long shot and kind of off topic but, I am a senior Mechanical Engineering student at Manhattan College and I will be graduating in May. It has been a dream of mine to move to Florida after graduation to enjoy some of the greatest boating in the world. Since there is such a large number of OSOers from Florida, I was wondering if anyone is an engineer that can help guide me or anyone that knows of companies that are hiring.

Thank you!

iamjoe 08-08-2007 10:05 AM

Good Luck

I live in Florida and have been searching for construction management work for over a year. I've been in the biz for 27+ years so I am as they say "seasoned". Very little going on here so I have since gone nation-wide in my search. Would love to go back to the Chicago area but I'll go where ever I can at this point.

fantastixvoyage 08-08-2007 10:10 AM

AIC - depends what you want to get into. Turbine is about the only indusrty that sustains a large number of engineers in Florida from what I saw.

I looked at Florida towards my graduation as well but wasn't too thrilled with the market (little different coming from the MotorCity!!!). However, I have seen a very large shift of engineering jobs leaving Detroit for the Carolinas' and Texas...may want to open your options to those areas as well.

Maritime_Eng 08-08-2007 11:04 AM

I am a mechanical engineer and work for a comapany in Naples, Florida. Where are you looking to live? There are alot of engineer jobs in Florida. Most are in the Tampa and orlando area. It all depends on your back ground and emphisis in college. What are you looking to get into?

Hope this helps
Don

fabricator 08-08-2007 11:28 AM

Wages are typically lower than most anywhere else in the country - it's the price we pay for living in paradise...... so we keep telling ourselves. Florida is feeling the same economic slump the rest of the north is - but I think our area is worse since our local economy has been driven by the building/real estate boom that went bust. We definitely need more educated people in the work force in Florida, so I'd encourage you to look just the same.

HTH, David

CigDaze 08-08-2007 11:30 AM

There are a lot of engineering positions in Tampa, every time I take a gander at monster, I find tons in the area. Nice place to live, too.

We're looking for someone at the moment, but we need someone with experience in Aerospace, and we need the position filled like yesterday - otherwise, I'd try to hook you up.

Good luck!

handfulz28 08-08-2007 11:32 AM

What do you know about bridges? My guess is there should be plenty of that kind of work to go around for at least the next ten years. We've got a few bridges here in FL.

VetteLT193 08-08-2007 11:53 AM

Harris and Northrop Grumman in the central east coast area always seem to be hiring. (Near Port Canaveral / Space shuttle)

Oh yeah, and speaking of the Space Shuttle... I hear they have an engineer or two on staff over at NASA :)

AIC 08-08-2007 01:03 PM

Fantastix,
Thanks, I’ll give the Carolinas and Texas a look too.
dg,
I prefer Aerospace, but I am open to other areas (construction, marine, energy, automotive, etc) as well. I enjoy just about all of the mechanical engineering areas. In terms of areas in Florida, I also am very flexible. I have visited South Florida, Tampa and Orlando and enjoyed them all, so location in Florida is not a huge factor.
Cigdaze,
Please keep me in mind if anything comes up!
Vette,
Thanks, I will defiantly be applying to all three of them. :D

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it!

jmeng 08-08-2007 01:07 PM

I work for Jacobs Engineering, I know we have an office in Lakeland. Not sure if thats the only location in Fla or not. I'm sure if we're down there, other engineering firms are going to be there as well.