Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Magnum Powerboat in the Carribean? Screenplay writer asks... >

Magnum Powerboat in the Carribean? Screenplay writer asks...

Notices

Magnum Powerboat in the Carribean? Screenplay writer asks...

Old 08-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Powerboat in the Carribean? Screenplay writer asks...

I am a writer doing research for a movie screenplay. I've got a serious question and I hope those in the know will blow away my cloud or tell me I am on to something that is plausible.

Bascially I want to know if a chap can cruise the Carribean in a Magnum Powerboat and if so what magnum may do the best job? Can it cruise the Windwards, Martinique to Grenada? Can it moor in St. Lucia close to the Pitons?
What could such a chap encounter with such a boat (reactions by locals, pirates, possible moorings and issues with morring a power yacht, reactions by other yacht-going people).

This screenplay involves a chap and a girl on the run from their past. The law isn't after them, but they both lost their spouses and decide to cruise and find a new way of life. The run afoul of St. Vincentian bad guys. There is murder, intrigue, and lots of local color.

Research will be made real by my taking a boat trip to the Windwards after I collect material. Nice to make new friends here and there!

Props in advance to any and all who reply, incl acknowledgements if the story gets bought.

Cheers !
Kevin N.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm assuming you're referring to the Magnum Yachts.
Not sure too many around here will know much about them, but I may be surprised.
This is more of a "go-fast" crowd.
When I think of Magnum, I think of something like the Maltese, or the Sport - 27-28' go fast boats.
Good luck with your story. It sounds interesting.
Personally, It would be a story I would be interested in reading or watching on the screen.
Best of luck to you.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered

Default Reply to Bouyhunter

Thanks for the reply buoyhunter.

Are we talking the same type of boat? The boat in the screenplay as it stands now is a Magnum 50 [ top speed 72 mph).

http://www.magnummarine.com/products/50/50_fr.html

Is such a rig a go-fast? Isn't it also the boat of choice for drug smugglers too?

I'm learning as I go and I appreciate humbly any facts I have wrong that need correcting.

Best!
Kevin
Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, Magnum would be a great boat to cruise around on. But these are not for your average people.

Love to see what you come up with.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

If I was a drug dealer I would want something that could do 200mph.

72 is a go-fast.

I'm pretty sure that you can cruise the hell out of a 50 magnum in the carribean.

Which magnum for the best job? - If your cruising the carribean, then I think bigger is always better.........don't they make an 80 magnum.

What could such a chap encounter with such a boat (reactions by locals, pirates, possible moorings and issues with morring a power yacht, reactions by other yacht-going people). You would be well respected by any yacht owner. Smaller the boat the easier it is to moor, but there are plenty of places for the big boys. Not sure about what other people in other countries are like, but if you had one in the U.S. you would get laid everynight. Outside the U.S. I think you would have a hell of a time keeping it safe. I've heard of people driving their yachts to the bahamas and having trouble and thats just a couple of miles off of Florida.

Can it cruise the Windwards, Martinique to Grenada? Can it moor in St. Lucia close to the Pitons? I'm pretty sure that if there is 20ft of water these magnums will cruise and moor anywhere.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SuttonLounge
Thanks for the reply buoyhunter.

Are we talking the same type of boat? The boat in the screenplay as it stands now is a Magnum 50 [ top speed 72 mph).

http://www.magnummarine.com/products/50/50_fr.html

Is such a rig a go-fast? Isn't it also the boat of choice for drug smugglers too?

I'm learning as I go and I appreciate humbly any facts I have wrong that need correcting.

Best!
Kevin
Yes, at 72mph, I would consider that very fast for a Yatch
Which is what you are looking for. And Yes, from my limited knowledge - they are an incredible boat.

What I can tell you is that Magnum Marine was started by Don Arronow (the Offshore racing legend that also started Cigarette as well as many other boat building companys). The name was sold to the Italian manufacturer of Magnum in the mid/late 70's.
When Don owned the Co. it was known for the smaller 28'ish Ocean racers. The Yatch's didn't come until the brand was moved to Italy.
From everything I've read, it has always been a superior quality boat.
There are some legends here on the board that can tell you more of the early days.
And guys like BROWNIE - please correct me if I'm wrong in any of statements. I'm going off of memory here from reading, and not from actually being there like you were.
If I'm not mistaken, the 27' CC listed on thier website is still the same old hull from the 70's.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

As for it's ability to cruise the islands, it's really only a matter of how much fuel it holds and how much it burns per hour.

The boat could easily house two people for an extended period of time.

I don't think a Magnum 50 would draw much attention at dock and by passengers on a cruise ship. It runs diesels which are rather quite so it's not like a Cigarette boat with unmuffled high horsepower engines.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

It would be cool if the boat entered "The Great Race" from Trinidad to Tobego. They run it in August every summer.

The race is August 25th this year. Check it out.

www.ttpba.com/
Old 08-09-2007, 07:35 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Yes, at 72mph, I would consider that very fast for a Yatch
Which is what you are looking for. And Yes, from my limited knowledge - they are an incredible boat.

What I can tell you is that Magnum Marine was started by Don Arronow (the Offshore racing legend that also started Cigarette as well as many other boat building companys). The name was sold to the Italian manufacturer of Magnum in the mid/late 70's.
When Don owned the Co. it was known for the smaller 28'ish Ocean racers. The Yatch's didn't come until the brand was moved to Italy.
From everything I've read, it has always been a superior quality boat.
There are some legends here on the board that can tell you more of the early days.
And guys like BROWNIE - please correct me if I'm wrong in any of statements. I'm going off of memory here from reading, and not from actually being there like you were.
If I'm not mistaken, the 27' CC listed on thier website is still the same old hull from the 70's.
In point of fact, the largest Magnum that Aronow made was a wide beamed(probably 10+ foot) 35 footer in 1966 that shared the same lines with today's larger variants. This was a "big" offshore boat and was also very similar to the wide beamed (13 foot) 50 foot Apache that Ben Kramer entered in the Miami-NY race. (didn't make the start).

That Apache would be a perfect cruiser for the Carribean.

T2x
Old 08-09-2007, 08:13 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Biggest Mag Don made was the 38.
Theodolli took over in 1976. Company never moved out of Florida, and still is there.
A 40 would be fine to run the carribbean, and there are plenty to be found used. A diesel one would be best, most should be.
And these will get attention everywhere.
Much cooler than a Sunseeker.
And these can go over 70 w/ the right power/drives, just takes $.

Quick Reply: Magnum Powerboat in the Carribean? Screenplay writer asks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.