Notices

Noise law in Michigan

Old 08-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise law in Michigan

Does anybody know where to find this? I am looking for the part that says how they have to measure it.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Does anybody know where to find this? I am looking for the part that says how they have to measure it.
All I know is it is a max of 90db using the SAE-J2005 testing procedure. But I haven't had any luck finding what the procedure is.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:10 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you had an issue, or just in case? Several years ago there was a post with the actual "legaleze". A bit difficult to understand. However a very specific procedure to follow, that may or may not actually happen.

A few years ago some DNR guys pulled into local marina. For kicks I asked them to test my old boat. They were not super familer with eqiupment or exactly what to do. Did not pass even with captain's call on. Of course no tickets written. I wondred if closed area wih high docks walls gives a different reading vs. on open lake.
Have not heard of any issues in our area since. (knock on wood).
Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

4.1 Measurement Site—A suitable site is a body of water free of large obstructions or reflective surfaces such as
buildings, boats other than those involved in this procedure, large embankments or breakwaters, etc. for a
minimum distance of 8 m (25 ft) from the boat being measured. The boat being tested shall either be moored
to a dock or lashed to another boat. If moored to a dock, the dock shall be of open construction so that it
presents a minimum of reflecting surfaces. If the measurement is made in open water, the boat being
evaluated shall be lashed to the measurement boat to prevent relative motion and to allow positioning of the
microphone in the prescribed location. The measurement boat shall be positioned to minimize reflected
sound.

4.3.1 The microphone shall be placed at a distance of 1.2 to 1.5 m (4 to 5 ft) above the water and no closer than
1 m (3.3 ft) from the vertical projection of any part of the boat in the area adjacent to the exhaust outlet(s).
Old 08-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what you want. Take care that there is a bill being put through Michigan Legislature which may change everything for us in the near future. It is currently on hold while the US Patent office reviews the new "Noise Gun".

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=Ratickle
Old 08-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Registered

MI Water Cop is posting here good thread.

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/show...threadid=50653
Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm there's some bad memorys. still using down pipes i'm legel with them. i did take them off for boyne thunder. but put them right back on when i got home.
todd
Old 08-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Registered

Has anyone been tested by an officer using the shoreline test? They use the procedure described by SAE J1970.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:14 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Spent the weekend at Eldean shipyard in Holland MI. Was pulling out of Marina Sunday morning (while all of you were in church) Sheriff is hiding in a slip and starts after me. I don't sweat it, (496's with silent choice - how tame)

However they were way too loud for him, and informs me my silent choice switchable exhaust is illegable and can't be used for test. Ran a 97db, and 93db w/ silent choice on.

I'd rather pay a ticket, but this says I have to fix in 15 days, or I better never get stopped again.

I'd to voice my displeasure, but not sure anyone up there really cares about performance boaters?

Seems to be a non-issue in St. Joe.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 201liberator
Has anyone been tested by an officer using the shoreline test? They use the procedure described by SAE J1970.
I got stoped two weeks ago and had to do a 50'' drive by In Minnesota it is 82dba at wide open pass I was 91dba at about half throttle I don't know how I'm going to get down to that I'm also looking for ideas
I have 509/800hp Cmi's Hpi and turn downs
any help
Don

Quick Reply: Noise law in Michigan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.