Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cruising the Upper Mississippi (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/165806-cruising-upper-mississippi.html)

klaw 08-10-2007 11:18 AM

Cruising the Upper Mississippi

late september or early October would like to do a long weekend on the mississippi around the wisconsin area.

would like to trailer to Southwest corner of Wisconsin and launch either there or further North.

Any recomendations?

Adolph 08-10-2007 11:34 AM

Head to Lacrosse, nice run.

EYEBURN 08-10-2007 11:38 AM

How far do you want to boat once your on water, will you stay on boat or prefer hotels ? Do you want to go north or south?

hp500efi 08-10-2007 12:42 PM

LaCrosse is a great starting point ... then head North. Plenty of marinas, places to eat, river towns, etc..let me know. We are out there most of the Summer.

klaw 08-10-2007 01:42 PM

well I prob would like to put in about 25 mile south of lacross then travel through lacross and go about 25 mile north and then return if hotels are close to marians that would be good if not sleep on boat is fine I just got back from a 400 mile round trip from Sturgeon Bay to Mackinac and would now like to try the river.

hp500efi 08-10-2007 04:28 PM

Klaw, if you have never been on the river....ask someone who has for some tips ;). Once you know the mighty river you will be hooked.

About 8 miles south of LaCrosse, it is not as pretty. Not sure of your launch requirements or places to launch south of LaCrosse but I am sure there are some.

Motoring into LaCrosse, you have the option of docking on the concrete wall and walking to town although that area will be rough with traffic and barges. You can continue motoring up the Black River (slow no wake) and dock and stay at the Midway motor lodge right in the Black River. Great hotel, pool and place to dock.

Up river from LaCrosse is beautiful. Plenty of sand bars, river towns etc. From LaCrosse North, you can easily make it to Winona and back. Winona has slow no wake in front of their town as well as municpal docks to dock at. Walk into town to 'Jeffersons', great bar/restaurant and food.

If you decide to motor upstream even further, there is plenty to see. Not very many hotels right on the river (except for LaCrosse) however any sand bar is available to pull up to for the night.

Feel free to e-mail or PM me for more

offshoredrillin 08-10-2007 04:56 PM

umm

jafo 08-10-2007 06:43 PM

We boat out of Savanna and always head north to Dubuque. The river really widens out south of Savanna and isn't as scenic. Dubuque would be a decent starting point from where you live and not quite so far to tow as going to Lacrosse, and there are some very good ramps there. As far as locks go, I know you have experience with those. (Chris and I still talk about our ride on your Bullet on the Chain, and the pics you showed us of you going through the Sault locks).
All of the scenery is good from Dubuque north- there are a lot of small river towns with dockage and some have hotels right on the river (McGregor and Guttenberg, IA come to mind)
Have a great time out there- it's a terrific place to go boating!
Jim

Downtown42 08-10-2007 06:52 PM

It is 4 locks and 130 miles Dubq to LaCrosse.

satisfied1 08-11-2007 01:21 AM

If you have a bigger ride there is no place to launch south of LaCrosse untill Praire. I live near LaCrosse shoot me a call on my cell be glad to meet up and show you around.
612-599-5177 Jeff

If you do come up it is a great time for it you can see all kinds of things like eagles all over the place and just some great views.