Notices

I/O vs. OB

Old 08-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I/O vs. OB

Looking for some info on I/O vs. OB. I have always had I/O power and never had Outboards. Crawling around the bilge is getting old and I am considering going Outboard. Comparing something like a 525/B1 and a 300xs, what would the maintenance schedule look like? Similar times to rebuild? Similar cost? RELIABILITY? How different would they handle on a similar boat? How different is the power delivery and driving style. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? If I didn't love the sound of a nice big block so much, this would be easier. But there is something to be said about working on your motor without crawling around in a bilge. I know there was a post not to long ago, but no details as to ownership differences. What are your thoughts?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Registered

Outboards have come a long way over the last 5 years alone. I like my OB, how much easier is it to pop a cowl off an OB than to root around on your head in a bilge. It gives more cockpit room, saves weight, you can tilt it to the max and give it gas without ripping the U joints out. I do like the noise and rumble of a BB but that feeling fades at the pump. I am getting 11 mpg on my 115 Yamaha 4 stroke efi, I got 1 or less on my HP500s in the Active Thunder at the same rpms. I like the extra room, like 5 ft of extra room, and that is like getting 5 ft more of boat for free but not like a fountian beek Or a swim platform.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the same boat set-up with twin O/Bs and a single I/O. Merc 250XS in the twin, and Merc 525efi in the I/O. In this case the power to weight ratio is almost identical. So with about the same total power and about the same total weight the speeds are also about the same, just over 90mph, actually the the I/O is just a little faster. A good O/B set-up costs a little more

They are very different.

The twin is much more lively, does big wheelies, accelerates much faster, much higher cruising speed. better fuel ecconomy.

The I/O is the king of presentation, more ego satisfaction coming into the dock. better in rough water, carves a turn like you would not believe, has a lower bow height posture off plane. Comes on plane quicker.
Attached Thumbnails I/O vs. OB-28-tuff-036-640.jpg   I/O vs. OB-28-hamilton-trader.jpg  
Old 08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys. What are the reliability and maintanance differences? How long on either motor before rebuilds are needed? It seems a lot of outboard guys are constantly blowing motors. What is the reality? Tuff, Those are absolutely stunning boats! Do you have more pics?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Registered

I thought o/b's were the answer until spending this entire summer without a boat becase no one can figure out what the fuk is wrong with the g/f's eggbeater. ...grrrrrrr. There are a LOT more little detailed parts, sensors, alarms, electronics, ect..ect... on an O/B If your a guy who does your own wrenching there is going to be a ton of new stuff to learn.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot depends on the intended boat. Apples to apples, race outboards to race I/O the rebuilds are probably about the same although cheaper with the O/B. Fishing O/B is going to be much more fuel efficient, and will last onger than a 525. I have no idea what rebuilds will be for the 300xs, but I know the 300 promax motors are expected to go around 800 hours before needing anything. Your not going to get that out of a 525, but as said 2 O/B are going to be more costly. By race O/B I was talking about the 2.5 ROS motors. I dont think you will even be considering those, but their life expectancy is not very long. I run O/B and sometimes wish I had I/O because of the whole cool factor, but then again, that only means something at the dock.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
I thought o/b's were the answer until spending this entire summer without a boat becase no one can figure out what the fuk is wrong with the g/f's eggbeater. ...grrrrrrr. There are a LOT more little detailed parts, sensors, alarms, electronics, ect..ect... on an O/B If your a guy who does your own wrenching there is going to be a ton of new stuff to learn.
You can thank new emissions for all of the sensors, alarms, and other electronic crap that breaks all the time.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I wanted to hear the sound of weed-whackers, I'd save the drive to the water & stay home to cut the grass.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
If I wanted to hear the sound of weed-whackers, I'd save the drive to the water & stay home to cut the grass.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had this since new (2001 yam 250 efi) never been back to the dealer ever.this is my 7 th season.
Attached Thumbnails I/O vs. OB-img_2161.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.