Getting a job in the industry? >

Getting a job in the industry?

Notices

Getting a job in the industry?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,

I work on boats all day and if I'm not then my employess are. If I'm not physically working on one then I'm on the phone or internet discussing one. I answer emails and calls on Sundays, evenings and even on getaways. My vacation is going to an event and either working on boats or talking about boats. Do I still love boating? Yes! Somedays I try and wrap up early, so we can hit the water. I've always been told to find something you like and make a living doing it. Just remember to have fun with whatever you choose and always try and keep a positive attitude.

BTW, I do need some P/T help in Florida. Weekends, after hours or whenever. It is marine related with lots of contacts.

Donnie
Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

I know many people in the Marine industry, from brokers to employees at some of the top offshore builders, I have dabbled in prototype/plug work also.......there is no $$$ to be had!!!! it's a "labor of love"

If it's what you want to do go for it....but unless your a successful broker expect to work a lifetime for moderate at best wages..............
Old 08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered

One more thing.... I used to be into cars in a big way and have made a great living from them, but honestly I can't stand cars now and that has alot to do with why I boat...........
Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SUNSATION 25
One more thing.... I used to be into cars in a big way and have made a great living from them, but honestly I can't stand cars now and that has alot to do with why I boat...........

An auto tech friend of mine always sez "I hate cars, I hate people, and I especially hate people who drive cars!"
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 PM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread and I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. For the last 15 years or so I have moonlighted at my friends marina on weekends. At first it was a every weekend and a few nights. This was in addition to my real job. Now its just when he is real busy or needs a long distance delivery. I have sold, done financing, gone to dealer meetings and shows and helped with minor repairs or rigging.
At the time I first started working at the marina, I didnt have my own boat, so by working at the marina it kept me around my hobby. I found it to be a nice break from my real job. People are USUALLY happy when dealing with their boats, and when you can make money off your hobby, it can make for a great learning experience. At my real job, someone is always looking to jam you. It maybe some one from the public or more recently its a co worker that is trying to sue you. I will be retiring in the next year, and on some level I plan on keeping my hand in the Marine industry. Hey Dave P. are you looking for any help? I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should give it a try. You may not want to make a career of it, but if other things go sour, you can always fall back on your maine industry skills.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by carcrash
Never work in a family business ESPECIALLY if you ARE in the family!
I dunno, my wife and I owned and worked in our business together for over 18 years, never fought, still happily married. We must be 'special'
Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fabricator
An auto tech friend of mine always sez "I hate cars, I hate people, and I especially hate people who drive cars!"
Yep, as a general rule I hate people. Most people in my opinion are just plain dumb. Let me say, I don't think that about the majority of this board, but the people on this board are not the general population of America. Most are well educated - maybe not in school, but self educated none-the-less.
To get to a point in life to own and maintain these boats takes a little more than the average Joe.
Not that that makes any of us "better" people, but it's more the people I would choose to associate with.
I've gotten to the point that I hate going to a store because I have to deal with the "stupid people" that are also shopping there.
In some way's it's turned me into a hermit.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SUNSATION 25
Cars are my number 1 passion, love, and motivation. Its the reason why I refuse to work with them even though the exotic aftermarket looks attractive. I have a love for powerboats and a huge drive to own a mti cat one day but hey who doesn't.

Again thank you for everyone sharing thier stories and insight about the industry. Myself and i'm sure others greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CMC
Hey Dave P. are you looking for any help?
Too late!!!!!!!! I just hired a great guy who ran F&I for a dealership for 13 years.

He starts with me Sept. 4th.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Been in the marine industry for the past 36 years from selling to repairs to building donzi bozts, worked for bertram yachts and now doing custom rigging in the high performace field and looking into other avenues getting too old for the crap

Quick Reply: Getting a job in the industry?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.