Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Getting a job in the industry? >

Getting a job in the industry?

Notices

Getting a job in the industry?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you just looking for something to do through school? If so, I say do it, it will help motivate you to get your butt out of there when you are finished with school. Trust me on that I worked in a foundry while I was going to school, and was more than ready to move on after graduation.

Jim
Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Registered

Try and get a Finance internship with Brunswick. I believe they have some offices in Fl, and they have a ton of different marine industry companies, inlcuding Mercury, Sea Ray, Baja, etc. May not be your favorite performance boats, but they are a huge corp with numerous white collar opportunities.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been doing it for 56 years, loved every goddam minute of it. There is more to life than making a fortune.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Been doing it for 56 years, loved every goddam minute of it. There is more to life than making a fortune.

You are one of the few. I build boats because I'm stubborn and I love proving that I can whip up on the bigger boat companies. Never made one dime of profit and I've been doing it for almost 8 years!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

I work for a marina the LOTO doing fiberglass and gel coat repair. I also just bought my 3rd boat about 2 weeks ago. I love them enough I can deal with working on them and then jumping on mine a few hours later. The only thing I would change is doing something else with boats, F/G is a dirty nasty job and I don't make a fortune either. The plus side to it is when my boat needs work I can usually do it myself and sometimes have to ask for pointers in the mechanical end of it but the way I see it, I save alot of money right there.

I wish I were in your shoes and would have gone to college so I could get a higher paying job, and a cleaner one. Go work on boats if you want to while you are in school though. You will enjoy it once you get used to the constant itch! But afterwards, get something better.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll throw in my two cents, just because.
Get a job that (in the boat industry if you so choose) that makes you work hard, physical, nasty, dirty, and still makes reasonable money.
You're 19, and don't take this offensively, but you haven't learned a work ethic yet. Show up everyday (even if you were out til 3:00 and are hungover). And try to learn everything you can about every single aspect of the business. And if you screw something up, admit it.
I worked from 18-31yrs in construction. You learn alot - if you pay attention, and ask questions. I also did night school for a few years to get a degree, only an Associates, but I took the time to do something, because I knew I didn't want to do this the rest of my life - or if I did, it wasn't going to be in the "labor" side of it.
I now work in the optics industry in purchasing and supply for a global Co. We have machine operators (put part in machine / press start / take part out) that never learned a work ethic. They complain about the temperature, or that if they don't have gloves, and disposable sleeves, they can't work because they might get dirty (and I have to provide these).
Back in my construction days, I would have thrown a 2x4 at them and called them a puzzy. Today, HR frowns on that sort of thing.
You are in a developing stage, and working HARD and understanding deadlines, and meeting production goals at any cost (except shoddy workmanship) is an essential thing to learn.
Take it for what it's worth.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, and BTW, I used to love working on houses, after too many years in the industry, I only do things around the house because I want them done for me and my wife. I've sold off many of my tools.
But, at least I know how to do them correctly, and in most cases better than if I hired them out.
I get offers all the time to come by and hang a door, or install crown mold for some extra money - I always tell 'em I hung up the tools long ago.
I'd rather have my time off.

When I was still in the business, and owned my own Co. I would ask a customer "do you want me to do "x", or "y" or "z", and they'd look at me and say "Just do it like you would in your own home". I'd start rolling up my tools. They'd say "what are you doing"? I'd say "Well, in my house, if it's 90% done, and functioning, I let it sit for 6 mos. before I actually finish it".

Last edited by bouyhunter; 08-16-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Registered

Wow! Thank you all for answering my question. As stated above this would be a job during school. I love motivational things, I mean I work with multi-million dollar business jets. I have been tossing around the idea to continue where I am at or pursue a different job. I have also looked into getting involved in a asset management firm but being around powerboats and working on the inside of a major manufacturer really interests me.

I will continue to ponder my next move. I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my question. The thing is I have big dreams and don't think any paycheck will be able to fund my hobbies .

-Jason
Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Registered

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
DON'T DO IT and NEVER WORK IN A FAMILY BUSINESS (especially if you aren't family)
Never work in a family business ESPECIALLY if you ARE in the family!

Quick Reply: Getting a job in the industry?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.