Notices

E-Tec vs the competition

Old 08-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default E-Tec vs the competition

I found a 23' cc I like, and would rather put 2 twin 140-150's vs a single 250, even though it is a tad slower by 3 mph...I want the advantages of the twins. My Question is:
I reserched E-Tecs and the competition, is it all hype, marketing or what. Check out the website UNDER CHALLENGES...challanges:bow rise, more torque, pulling back to back and so on.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

looking for people that either sell or actually have had the opportunity to try them out..Thanks Jeff
Old 08-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the new 150hp Verado. Better fuel mileage and you do not have to add oil like a 2 stroke.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Check out the new 150hp Verado. Better fuel mileage and you do not have to add oil like a 2 stroke.

Thanks for the response, fuel mileage is important, but by their web-site they state that E-tecs are better for emmisions, mileage and so on.. Mike, check out the challenges and tell me if they are full of crap...so do I have to add oil to the E-tec.. thanks Jeff

The other thing I mentioned per the builder...with twins they like to stay around 400-410 pounds each to keep perfect balance of their boat.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fish Lake Erie (as often as I can get over there) and get quite a bit of exposure to guys with E-tecs. Consensus is they would never buy another Yamaha or Merc motor again, including Verado. They have lived up to their billing- faster out of the hole, faster top end, lower emissions, and A LOT better on fuel than even the Verado or any other 2 or 4 stroke. The warranty and service intervals have proven to be what Bombardier have cracked them up to be, and I have yet to talk with a person that has had to pull one off for a warranty issue. One guy I fish with from Wisconsin pulled his 250 Verado off his walleye boat (he was HUGELY let down by its performance) for a 250 E-Tec and loves his boat again- less weight, less fuel burn, and faster.
I DO know Bombardier and its engineering group since I have spent a great deal of time with their Canadair Challenger series of aircraft and its support team. The amount of time and money that Bombardier put into correcting the issues associated with HPDI technology was enormous. Although the recreational division has been sold back to the Bombardier family, the engineering for E-Tec was accomplished by the transportation group.
I wouldn't hesitate one bit to install E-Tecs, especially in a twin configuration you described. Screw the 'I have to buy 2 stroke oil' issue- they use so little of it, who cares? It's too bad the old 55's on my walleye boat still run so well- I'm dying to replace them with a pair of those newer technology motors.
Jim
Old 08-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
Thanks for the response, fuel mileage is important, but by their web-site they state that E-tecs are better for emmisions, mileage and so on.. Mike, check out the challenges and tell me if they are full of crap...so do I have to add oil to the E-tec.. thanks Jeff

The other thing I mentioned per the builder...with twins they like to stay around 400-410 pounds each to keep perfect balance of their boat.
Jass, e-tech is a 2 stroke and you have to add oil...Evinrude oil not just any 2 stroke oil. Check out hull truth and the flordia sportsman fishing forum for in depth details on 2 stroke e-tech vs the other 2 stroke and 4 stroke enignes.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I tore down my 1990 Hydra Sports center console last year to repaint and re-rig it and I went with a 250 E-Tec. This engine is incredible and lives up to the promises in that video. Here are some of the benifits of the 2 stroke over the 4 stroke:

- The E-Tec is much lighter than the 4 strokes. This leads to better speed, better fuel economy and less stress on the transom all due to less weight.

- On an E-Tec you simply add some oil to a tank from time to time while a 4 stroke requires oil changes like your car. This saves a lot of down time for service over the life of the engine. I must add that the E-Tec burns MUCH less oil than previous 2 strokes.

- The E-Tec is less expensive than most of the 4 strokes.

- The E-Tec is just as quiet as any of the 4 strokes.

- Another nice feature of the E-Tec is that it will winterize (fog) itself for long term storage. I don't know if the 4 strokes will do this or not, but it is a nice feature.

I shopped all winter for a new outboard for this boat and those are the major differences that I see. I looked at Honda, Merc, Yamaha and Evinrude, I studied everything carefully and went with the Evinrude E-Tec. I can tell you that it has been a great engine so far and I have absolutely no regrets.

Here are a few pictures of the boat as it sits now with the new paint and engine.
Attached Thumbnails E-Tec vs the competition-100.jpg   E-Tec vs the competition-101.jpg   E-Tec vs the competition-102.jpg  

Old 08-19-2007, 01:37 PM
yss
Registered

I just bought a 115 for the pontoon boat. I think it is quieter than the 4 stroke I replaced. No break-in not much maintenance. I like it. Not cheap though.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been Merc all my life but I must admit I've not heard anything bad about the E-Tecs. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the hull truth, a bunch of whiners from what I've read. They complain about everything.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bowtie
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the hull truth, a bunch of whiners from what I've read. They complain about everything.
Kinda like most message boards huh?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Registered

Well my brother bought a brand new 200 in june 07 less than 20 hrs no compression #6 cyl computer problem had to replace power head under warranty but loss of use in a short season. It does run nice though. And he is probably one of those whinners over on the hull truth.

Quick Reply: E-Tec vs the competition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.