Notices

Ad in USA Today

Old 08-24-2007, 03:01 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to most things I don't want personal interaction. I don't want you to ask me how I am. Do you really care? I don't care how the person ringing up my groceries is. I have enough going on. There is nothing worse than some old fart chatting with the drug store chick when I just want to pay and get out. Give me the goods, I give you the money and have a nice life.

Just like people on planes. Sit next to me and shut the fvck up. I don't care where you're going or where you're from. Or because I'm reading Extreme Boats Mag you want to tell me about your uncle bob's Luhrs sportfish.

I like a nice faceless way of living. If I want interaction I'll go out with friends or see the rest of you knuckleheads at a poker run.

Uuuuuhg. My .02
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
What goes around comes around. In the late 50's, early 60's, big corporations bought boat companies. Brunswick, who owns SeaRay, Whaler and a s**tlaod of other big companies got their ass handed to them in the first recession. They GAVE back Larson, Brunswick/Owens, and others for pennies on the dollar. It is probably going to happen again. (Third time in my lifetime)
Brownie, did Noah sell out once he got the Ark in production?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
Most buyers made their purchase because is was a good deal not because they liked the sales rep or felt they would have great service afterwards. Most consumers don't even think about those things until they need it.

My $.02
I agree. It's like I say about pistols: You don't really need one, until you need one badly.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered

In most things in life, and boats are a big one, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I am in a service industry...Mortgages, and there is no way in heck they are going to get the same service from an Internet provider hiding behind a screen. They save a few 100 $$$s and maybe an 1/8th in rate but spend that easily on lost time trying to get a problem resolved. There is no common sense out there today, people think they are so smart because they got a "great" deal when in the end they are screwed. I have had dozens of buyers at the closing table call me to save them. I have to be nice but tell them there is no way I can get a loan done in 15 minutes. Many people are money grubbing, know it all fools and they deserve every problem they inherit when the deal goes South. It has gotten so bad in my industry that the entire USA will go into a recession because jerk loan officers and lenders lied and cheated their way into a pay day and left literally millions of people to swing in the wind with reset ARMs that cost up to $700 a month extra. They sell payment and the fools bite not even knowing what they are getting. Now boats cost as much as a home and with one not selling or being taken away the other will languish...just like this story says, fire sale and give aways only hurt the business as it sets a new bench mark in prices. How would you feel if the 50 ft Sea Ray that cost you a mill now costs $750,000???? now yours is worth $500,000 "because it is in the water" That sales person would be in the water if he has said that to me, then I would say "hey, your $5,000 rolex, your $500 shoes and your $1,000 suit is worth $100 "because it is in the water".
Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How would you feel if the 50 ft Sea Ray that cost you a mill now costs $750,000???? now yours is worth $500,000 "because it is in the water" That sales person would be in the water if he has said that to me, then I would say "hey, your $5,000 rolex, your $500 shoes and your $1,000 suit is worth $100 "because it is in the water".

Excellent point!! Now I am sure not every sales person at Marine Max is a complete douchebag like the guy in Norwalk, but it does reflect poorly on the company. It soured me on the whole boat buying experience. And it seems like there are a lot more negative boat buying experiences than positive ones. But that's why this site is great because we can discuss the good and the bad and hopefully direct more business to the good guys.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered

My first go fast boat was a Donzi Z33, I know if I had been on this site I would have been told not to buy this boat, the dealer screwed me bad, I bought a broken boat and found out when the insurance company never sent me a bill, they said they could not insure this boat and when I had them fax the survey, which the dealer had done, I found 2 pages that I did not get, he had whited out the page numbers... like 1 of 10, 2 of 10 and so on, the ins company had 12 of 12, I had 10 of 10 and theirs spoke of rotted bulkhead and stringers. I sued them, they filed BK and I got $5,000 out of court, just enough to fix it myself. I spent another 5k just because I was in there and wanted closure but in the end the bottom still cracked. I got out for 3 years, then got back in with the 32 AT...that had a fuel tank leak. I should have known better when the boat was stored with 1/2 a tank, when I filled it I also filled the bilge with 10 gallons of raw fuel, I was lucky the screw jack did not spark and that I always open the hatch before I start it. So I got out again and went to a fender boat, bought it new so it was a fresh start and I love it. The dealer was good, Wolfs Dive Shop in Benton Harlem, they were very good but I still had to argue with some punk kid on how the trailer bunks were to be placed, he had the lift strakes on the bunk...after I reminded him I have forgotten more about boats and trailers than he knows I said give me the jack and the wrench and go away. I fixed it and was off. So...not all are bad, some are worse and some die from rolling a tractor down a cliff...the dealer who took me on the Donzi.....
Attached Thumbnails Ad in USA Today-donzi-side-small-.jpg   Ad in USA Today-new-small-.jpg   Ad in USA Today-zodiac-007-small-.jpg  

Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Yesterday I was in Pompano water testing a 50 Pershing and during the coarse of the day every once in awhile the MarineMax salesmans Blackberry would give him updates with how many boats they had sold nationwide that day. The numbers were staggering but cannot quote exact numbers.

It is an awsome boat.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Ad in USA Today-pershing-rooster-1.jpg   Ad in USA Today-pershing-rooster-2.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 08-25-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Registered

Those are very well built yatchs, what power, twin turbines? Or one turbine and a diesel on each side? I saw one with 4 Alpha drives once, it had 4 4.3 V-6s, the captain said it hit 55 and ran in 8 footers at 40 I said no way, it should hit 70 and told him to lab the props and put some shorter lowers on. Really, these are cool boats and are full of cool electronics and gizmo's like flat screen displays for everything and big cup holders that fit a can with a cozy OK, I'll shut up now. Nice boat.

Last edited by MitchStellin; 08-25-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shore Thing
I understand people not liking big business for personal reasons, but those same people are reaping the benefits of big business every day.
I never benifited a GD *&^%$#$%MutherF(*^%@# thing from big business without taking a major Azz Fu*&^%! Big business and the Walmart model are all about continuing the biggest transfer of wealth from the middle class history has ever known.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
Those are very well built yatchs, what power, twin turbines? Or one turbine and a diesel on each side? I saw one with 4 Alpha drives once, it had 4 4.3 V-6s, the captain said it hit 55 and ran in 8 footers at 40 I said no way, it should hit 70 and told him to lab the props and put some shorter lowers on. Really, these are cool boats and are full of cool electronics and gizmo's like flat screen displays for everything and big cup holders that fit a can with a cozy OK, I'll shut up now. Nice boat.