Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is the worst single engine performance boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/166983-what-worst-single-engine-performance-boat.html)

Knot 4 Me 08-31-2007 09:15 AM

The 259 Checkmate is basically a boat you have to run hard all the time. The first time I drove one was at an on-water show in Peoria back in 2000. I remember thinking to myself, "this boat sucks! who would ever buy one!". No matter what I did with tabs or drive trim I could not get it to not porpoise. Then again, I never ran it over low 40's due to the salesman not wanting the boat to be ran hard. Fast forward 6 years and I get to ride on and drive Rob's (RJBBC) boat. The hull settles down and rides nicely once you get 45 MPH and above. She does want to chine walk when you get her on the big end, though. Still, the boat performs better than I first gave it credit. They do have outstanding mold and gel work. Of all the boats on our dock, Rob's 259 hand's down has the straightest hull sides and deck and shines like a diamond in a goat's behind.

jafo 08-31-2007 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2255147)
Does anyone have any first hand input on the 28 Challenger?

Brian - I know of one member (superV) who has one up near Muskegon, MI with a pair of warmed-up 454's. Wade has owned the boat quite a long time, and I think he has been quite happy with it. VERY sharp boat!!
I ran with him when I had my 28AT, and he had me easily on the top end (more torque than my twin SBC's). Wasn't this one of Harry Schoell's design's? His is an older one; not from the new company in the St. Louis area.
Jim

Sydwayz 08-31-2007 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jafo (Post 2255374)
Brian - I know of one member (superV) who has one up near Muskegon, MI with a pair of warmed-up 454's. Wade has owned the boat quite a long time, and I think he has been quite happy with it. VERY sharp boat!!
I ran with him when I had my 28AT, and he had me easily on the top end (more torque than my twin SBC's). Wasn't this one of Harry Schoell's design's? His is an older one; not from the new company in the St. Louis area.
Jim

I got to crawl all over a brand new 28 Challenger with the DDC bottom on it at the Emerald Coast Poker Run. The guy had just taken delivery of it the day prior; and had a host of electrical problems that I was trying to help him with. I also have been talking to a prospective 37AT owner who used to own a 28 DDC Challenger. I'll keep my opinions close hold, but if anyone wants my first hand and second hand info, they can PM me.

jafo 08-31-2007 11:18 AM

I have heard of problems with the newer Challengers- I can attest to the fact that Wade's older Challenger hasn't had any of those issues and seems to be quite well rigged and built. I believe his was built local to that area before the company was sold (several times)

RJBBC 09-01-2007 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 2255234)
The 259 Checkmate is basically a boat you have to run hard all the time. The first time I drove one was at an on-water show in Peoria back in 2000. I remember thinking to myself, "this boat sucks! who would ever buy one!". No matter what I did with tabs or drive trim I could not get it to not porpoise. Then again, I never ran it over low 40's due to the salesman not wanting the boat to be ran hard. Fast forward 6 years and I get to ride on and drive Rob's (RJBBC) boat. The hull settles down and rides nicely once you get 45 MPH and above. She does want to chine walk when you get her on the big end, though. Still, the boat performs better than I first gave it credit. They do have outstanding mold and gel work. Of all the boats on our dock, Rob's 259 hand's down has the straightest hull sides and deck and shines like a diamond in a goat's behind.

All good points Beadman. Yesterday I let a customer's wife (husband also on the boat) drive us back to the marina. The boat started to porpoise in that 35mph range and we started to hit some chop. I mentioned more throttle would settle the boat down. She hammered it and not before long the speedo was reading 70mph. I looked back at my wife in the back seat and she looked uncomfortable to say the least. It was a lot of fun. These are type of experiences a Checkmate 259 can provide.:greenchainsaw:

Chart 09-01-2007 08:49 AM

We may have a winner: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=167679

needmoremoney 09-02-2007 10:51 PM

could've been my 1973 16' donzi classic with the big block in it. deck separated from hull, stringer [COLOR="Blue"]that we had to cut to fit motor[COLOR="blue"] broke & came through side of hull. or, it could've been my 1990 volvo powered galaxy. best it ever looked/moved was when the bucketloader operator at the junkyard dropped it 30 feet down the side of the dump pile!:cool-smiley-027: