Notices

What is Chime Walk

Old 08-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is Chime Walk

I am looking at buying a Wellcraft Excalibur 23, I have seen some people complaining about chime walk, can somebody please explain what chime walk is,

thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered

Its what makes you soil your undies at high speed.
On a serious note its when the back of the boat becomes unstable at high speed and you can feel the boat have a back and forth wobble, trim tabs help.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chine walk
Old 08-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chime walk is how far the monk has to walk to the bell tower.

Chine walk happens when the boat has the ability to run with little wetted surface. The boat is trying to run on a small pad, once it falls off this pad, it falls to one side then bounces over to the other side. Hence chine walking! Chine walk is the boat rocking side to side on its chines.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Chime walk = strolling through London listening to Big Ben

Chine walk = rythmic rotation of a vessel on its lateral axis once the vessel is on plane
Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't understand all the fuss about "walkin". Everyone that came out of little boats, Hydrostream, checkmate (15ft with an 150xs), Alison etc has no issue with the phenomena of chine walking. Even if they have not mastered the steering technique to deal with it, they still don't fear it, there still just learning it.
It seems that alot of big boat people what to accuse the big boat of bad handling or use the training wheels (trim tabs) to fix it instead of simply accepting the fact that there is another skill to learn. Would not everyone want to be able to operate their boat safely at higher speeds with a simple steering movement? It is just like riding a bike, at first when your trying to balance, you look like a spaz. And then you work toward racing supercross. Yep, balance your boat with the steering wheel, 18 ft or 38 Hustler, its all the same.
Attached Thumbnails What is Chime Walk-yel-black.jpg  

Last edited by TUFFboat; 08-25-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

!:d
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuffboat- I'm with you, learn to drive it. Chine walking is just the drivers inability to balance the boat at speed. Some people just don't get it. Plus some of the boats that get big power have no business going as fast as the are pushed to go.To each its own. Good luck chine walkers.
Jim
Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a boat that would chine walk so bad it would scare the hell out of people! Especially on calm water. In fact, Hot Boat said the boat was "dangerous" because of the chine walking.

It didn't have tabs so I couldn't band aid it. It took me a few hours behind the wheel and a few co-pilots to learn how to countersteer the walking. But once I did it was like riding in a new boat.

However, the boat never chime walked!

Last edited by onesickpantera; 08-23-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anybody else chime in on this

Quick Reply: What is Chime Walk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.