Notices

What is Chime Walk

Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats how you tell the difference between a male and female boat, the male is straight as an arrow and the female...her a$$ wiggles.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

lol! that's a good one!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luke Chimewalker............use the Force Luke...............
Old 08-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
I can't understand all the fuss about "walkin". Everyone that came out of little boats, Hydrostream, checkmate, Alison etc has no issue with the phenomena of chine walking. Even if they have not mastered the steering technique to deal with it, they still don't fear it, there still just learning it.
It seems that alot of big boat people what to accuse the big boat of bad handling or use the training wheels (trim tabs) to fix it instead of simply accepting the fact that there is another skill to learn. Would not everyone want to be able to operate their boat safely at higher speeds with a simple steering movement? It is just like riding a bike, at first when your trying to balance, you look like a spaz. And then you work toward racing supercross. Yep, balance your boat with the steering wheel, 18 ft or 38 Hustler, its all the same.

Great post.

You ain't seen chine walking until your first time behind the wheel in an Allison.

The trick is to stop the walking before it starts, with small countering movements of the wheel. Turn the wheel opposite to which way the boat is trying to fall. If it starts rocking back and forth hard, slow down and start over. Most likely you won't be able to drive through it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

My 32' twin engine boat has extension boxes and chine walked pretty bad after 80mph---I had too much weight towards the stern. I had to use the K-planes to band-aid it and they only slowed the boat down.

Of course each boat is different, but I bought some IMCO -2" shorties and Hydromotive 5-bladed props and it seemed to balance the boat out better and gave it an improved angle of attack---it rode across the top of the water much better, lifted the transom which gives more of a nice level ride. It greatly improved the handling and cured the chine walk problem.

Of course the boat goes faster and throws a nice rooster tail too!

Last edited by KAAMA; 08-24-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered

Here comes that freakin newbie again!

Someone explain to me why the following happens to me:

While running full throttle at 88-90mph with the drives trimmed out to ~4.5 and the tabs set on 3, the boat is stable and the water is consistent enough. I start to bring the tabs up to 2.5 and then 2. The boat will pretty much immediately start chine walking. Is this a result of the hull design or my lack of driving ability?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

Learn how to drive the boat and don't ''allow'' chine walking.
Attached Thumbnails What is Chime Walk-michigan-city-run.jpg  
Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viper TT
Here comes that freakin newbie again!

Someone explain to me why the following happens to me:

While running full throttle at 88-90mph with the drives trimmed out to ~4.5 and the tabs set on 3, the boat is stable and the water is consistent enough. I start to bring the tabs up to 2.5 and then 2. The boat will pretty much immediately start chine walking. Is this a result of the hull design or my lack of driving ability?
Fountains don't like a lot of engine trim, 4.5 might be a little much. The tabs are putting a band-aid on your chine walk. You might try running a little less engine trim and then try pulling the tabs up. Or you can get the feel of the walk and make slight wheel corrections to keep it level. It will run fastest when it's "walking" but driving it at speed like that unnerves some people
Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Just remember chine walk is not bad or a flawed boat, setup, or exceeding the desire dimensions. Chine walk is your boat talking to you. If you give it what it wants it will be controlled and you will go faster. Just like a unicycle, balance is the key. By using steering and trim inputs to control the torque of the motor against all the forces working against it, pad V-Bottom boats are a very efficient way of travel. Someone said; "If you feel in complete control, you are not going fast enough."
Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

think of it like a see saw. If you learn to drive thru it you can anticipate what it will do and make very very small corections to keep it on the pad.

Quick Reply: What is Chime Walk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.