Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Reliability of different brands???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/16728-reliability-different-brands.html)

buck183 01-25-2002 10:46 PM

Reliability of different brands????

There was a thread started here a couple of weeks ago about the least talked about brand of boat. This would in theory make it the more reliable and less problematic craft.

There's one thing I don't understand though. If, for the most part, a majority of our craft have the same brand of engine and drive, how can we say that brand x, brand y, or brand z is more reliable?

Most of the non-custom boat builders are using Merc power and drives. A lot of the custom builders are using them too.

Why should we sit in here and constantly bash each other about the brand of boat that the other person owns because we think it's more of a headache mechanically then ours?

I can think of something about every boat I've ever seen that I liked and disliked.

I'm not against some ribbing amongst friends, hell I'm probably the worst when it comes to that.

Just throwing out some thoughts.

Buck

Risk Taker 01-25-2002 10:58 PM

Originally posted by buck183:
<STRONG>I'm not against some ribbing amongst friends, hell I'm probably the worst when it comes to that. </STRONG>
That's exactly what it is..... ;) ;)

Red Stripe 01-26-2002 07:36 AM

It's not the brand name on the components, it's the installation :rolleyes: :D
Seriously, not everyones problems with their boats is due to a mechanical problem with the engine/drive setup. I may have to do with the engineering of the boat, how it was layed out, strenth of materials used etc.
I enjoy the ribbing that goes on here and have joined in on it numerous times :D I also like all the information that comes out about a different setups and the comparing of different boats.
Just my .02

supercrash 01-26-2002 10:34 AM

It's just the way guys are...My dick is bigger than your dick...But I see what your sayin Buck.. ;)

kingpin 01-26-2002 10:44 AM

Hey you guys could start bashing my boat .....it bashed the hell out of me over the last couple of years....new drive here, new bilge & starter there Break Out Another Thousand..........ahhh :mad: ;)

supercrash 01-26-2002 10:56 AM

Kingpin...I have a old boat to and it's done the same things to me..I keep mine in the water all summer and one summer the starter went and left me drifting towards the rocks...luck was with me and joeyoffshore was nearby and saved me...while swapping starters in the harbor the next day(close to impossible job) I broke one of the starter mounting bolts of into the block..OOOOPS...Had to bring the pig home and pull the engine to get at it.

kingpin 01-26-2002 11:32 AM

Soujnds familiar.....cruising through some nice 3 footers 2 summers ago finally everything appears fine until wife looks behind us ...then casually asks me if thats our engine hatch floating in the water!!!!

32fever 01-26-2002 01:02 PM

Risk Taker,
Ribbing among friends is one thing, but in this forum, we're not all "friends". Strangers, yes, and some guys know others, but a bulletin board on a website does not constitute instant friendship.

When you put a bunch of people in a forum as this, it's tough to know what people mean, and that other level of physical communication, etc.etc. is not there. we've all seen it lots of times, things taken the wrong way, offensive, and not necessarily meant as such.